Cloth backed odor?

kraken98

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
So I never have any issues with urine smell with plastic backed briefs however I ordered ABU little kings and after using them it seems after a few hours they begin to have a definite urine odor radiating from them. Is this normal for cloth backed briefs or I just got a bad batch? I have tried some NS clothe backed supremes before and though it also released some odor it was not as bad as the ABUs.

Thanks!

Reactions: tiron101

PoofsNFloofs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
Plastic-backed diapers will pretty much always contain odor better. But cloth-backed are lighter and more breathable. It's a trade-off.

Reactions: tiron101 and Cottontail

tiron101

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I noticed the same thing. The cloth is permeable, so if you keep it on for a while or it gets really wet, your crotch is giving off urine vapor through the cloth backing, which also gets into your pants, and begins to give off an odor. You can avoid that by changing more frequently, or doing what's counterintuitive which is drinking a lot of water so your urine is diluted and doesn't smell.

Reactions: Zeke and Cottontail

hbic60

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
In my experience two things to be said:
1. proper (Not exaggerated) fluid intake (water) prevents that urine gets concentrated too much in your bladder. If you drink enough, urine won't smell
2. generally CF diapers tend more to smell than plastic backed. On the other hand, myself using high quality medical CF diapers, the issue never came up to me. My diapers are PH-neutral with odor control system, which prevents the bacteria which produce this typical smell to get active for up to around 6 hours. Even if wearing up to 8 hours (and around 10 every night) neither me nor my wife remarked any significant smell yet...

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
hbic60 said:
My diapers are PH-neutral with odor control system, which prevents the bacteria which produce this typical smell to get active for up to around 6 hours. Even if wearing up to 8 hours (and around 10 every night) neither me nor my wife remarked any significant smell yet...
Odor control is certainly a big help (the TENA Flex is good in this regard). The other measure is to wear plastic pants, to limit the breathing of your nether regions.

Reactions: Constantlydamp

HugeBulge

He/Him
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yep. Cloth backed is not for extended use.
I recently found this youtube channel talking about incontinence and diapers; challenges, solutions and discussion. Guy is incontinent, and talks (primarily) to ICs.

He's surprisingly accepting of non-IC abdl use.

He talks about this in a video
He argues that cloth backing is a mistake by the industry

 I was so surprised to see many people in the comments there saying that they prefer plastic backed abdl diapers, from the abdl places we all know (and complaining like us about the prices).

Abdlchriscrinkle

Crinkly rock star!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
slimjiminy said:
The other measure is to wear plastic pants, to limit the breathing of your nether regions.

Jimmy nailed it.
Plastic pants, a diaper cover, or a wrap will definitely contain the seeping urine odor from a breathable/cloth backed product.
Cloth simply cannot contain odor anywhere near as good as plastic backed.