Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
Username as link? There is some talk @ http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars-forum/9920-allowing-changing-nicks.html
and @ http://www.adisc.org/forum/vips-forum/9935-keeping-up-name-changes.html

...about confusion over who's who. Any reason why clicking on username can't lead down a path to reveal old usernames? Like being in public profile or with a 5th drop-down box? Is this a lot of silly fuss over very little?

Raccoon, funny you should mention it. ;) If possible to set it up, with the OK from individual member's who have changed names, I think it would be a good way to keep track of people better.

~Pramrider

F

FullMetal

Some do not want people to know that they changed their name. Simple, really.

FullMetal

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Like stated in at least one of those threads, users that change their name, usually have a usernote. There are some that don't, either because they changed their name before the mods tried to enforce adding them, or because they just forget. Like Fullmetal said, some don't want their previous names revealed.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
hmmm... then there could be a toggle in one's CP to allow/disallow previous names be visible? Perhaps a mass PM or other notice could be mass-mailed with the toggle already in it: (
in the appropriate field) - This auto-mail could occur upon activation of "new username" including instance of first username.

I understand that there may be different levels of privacy desired in acquiring a new username. "Raccoon, Susie, abdl2" all are common enough to make googlesearches difficult by being common search terms, while being sufficiently distinct within ADISC, as an example. But a member must realize that there will always be a trace to a former name, especially if they had been mentioned by name in a post, and possibly if they had been quoted under the old username. Such are the dangers that go with the territory.

Usernotes are not viewable by non-mods for now.

I am still not sure if the issue of having a list of a given member's former usernames is all that important, but it is sure fun to speculate about.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hiding without deleting and creating a new account is kind of futile. All I have to do is find a post that I know a particular user made, check the current name, and thus with a little sleuthing I know exactly who it is. This is particularly easy if the user used to sign said posts :p.

That said, I think previous nicks should be visible. If there's some good reason to do differently, perhaps a mod could override it, though I don't see the need.

Dark Bringer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I really don't like the name changing. I find it confusing. I think there should be a way to easily see previous names unless there's a good reason a mod could approve. But I think it would be better if whatever reasons people do change their name could be minimized. For example, I've heard that you can find far more information than some people want revealed about themselves with a google search without logging in.
Not to be rude but what are some of the reasons why people have changed names?

Role
  1. Private
Username as link? There is some talk @ http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars-forum/9920-allowing-changing-nicks.html
and @ http://www.adisc.org/forum/vips-forum/9935-keeping-up-name-changes.html

...about confusion over who's who. Any reason why clicking on username can't lead down a path to reveal old usernames? Like being in public profile or with a 5th drop-down box? Is this a lot of silly fuss over very little?

I'm not sure how "open" vBulletin is to custom/bolt-on code, but I did work as a dev for two forum packages.

It would seem to me that something like this would need:
Database entries.
A callback for the action performed.

That possibly takes care of the technical side of such a question. This, however, leaves us with the much more difficult problem of its corresponding social aspect, which has been wrangled over above.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
This probably won't happen.
Members should have the ability to switch to a new username, and not have obvious links to their previous one, should they wish to do so.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
What are some of the reasons why people have changed names?

Whee - free association time.

Sheer boredom - just wanting a new look.

Any number of variants of identity theft/confusion. Say there is someone with a similar name to yours in the ABDL world at large and you don't want their reputation (there) to sully yours (here). ADISC has enough members now for there to be confusable identities; if you are Foxxy you may want to alter that name when Foxxie shows up. During late TBDL there were masterchiefs everywhere; I kept tripping over them.

Anonymity preservation, as mentioned above. If your handle became known (to the "wrong crowd" - which might be parents, bullies, what-have-you - ) it would be worth it to change names to prevent people keeping an eye on your activities, while being able to stay active. Let us just file all such reasons under "Privacy."

Change in one's own identity. If you only just read or saw the work that changed your life, you may want desperately to now be called DarKnight or Rorshach, instead of whatever pallid mundane handle you started out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.