Church Of England apologizes for rejecting evolution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...hurch-of-England-for-rejecting-evolution.html
The Church of England will concede in a statement that it was over-defensive and over-emotional in dismissing Darwin's ideas. It will call "anti-evolutionary fervour" an "indictment" on the Church".

The bold move is certain to dismay sections of the Church that believe in creationism and regard Darwin's views as directly opposed to traditional Christian teaching.

The apology, which has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the Church's director of mission and public affairs, says that Christians, in their response to Darwin's theory of natural selection, repeated the mistakes they made in doubting Galileo's astronomy in the 17th century.

"The statement will read: Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still. We try to practise the old virtues of 'faith seeking understanding' and hope that makes some amends."

Opposition to evolutionary theories is still "a litmus test of faithfulness" for some Christian movements, the Church will admit. It will say that such attitudes owe much to a fear of perceived threats to Christianity.

The comments are included on a Church of England website promoting the views of Charles Darwin to be launched on Monday.
Thought other might like to see this.

I found it amusing.

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I never seen anything from either science or religion that disproves one another. In other words I am both a man of faith as well as science.

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I think you can believe in both. Depends on how literally you take the Bible.

I'm an atheist, so I believe in Evolution, 100%, but when I used to be Christian, I believed in both.

That is pretty cool though. ^_^

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
...Wow, call me dumb, but I was not even aware the Church of England was actually, you know, still around... o_O.

Also; isn't it very similar to Protestantism?

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Don't you just love it when people do stupid shit* and make it a joke when they apologise? I absolutely love it!

*I, by no means, am using the literal term.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
...Wow, call me dumb, but I was not even aware the Church of England was actually, you know, still around... o_O.

Also; isn't it very similar to Protestantism?
Yeah it's still around! Think Anglicanism, as that's what The CoE started.

Anyway this news is cool, I'm glad they are accepting science now! This is a great 'screw you!' to the creationists, but this isn't really surprising since I've never met a Church of England Christian who didn't believe in evolution.

M

Mako

Likewise. I don't see why one has to contradict the other.
Both are ways of explaining the world, one is the investigations and examination of the world, drawing conclusions from those results, and refining or redefining those conclusions as new information comes in.

The other is, "Believe this or burn in hell. You question it, your tempting god. You'll burn in hell."

Faith by its very definition is believing without questioning and the retainment and preservation of only a single thought process. A single conclusion.
Science is the pursuit of new and/or different methods and information.

They contradict each other because the very foundation of these concepts are polar opposites.

Status
Not open for further replies.