Choosing Cloth Diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisAshley

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I'm looking at making the switch to cloth diapers. My criteria are comfort, convenience (no folding and safety pins needed), and high absorbancy. It does not need to be discrete as I'll be wearing this at home and will just use disposables while traveling. I'd also prefer to not have to wear plastic pants because I've had leg aching problems with the tight leg cuffs, unless someone knows of a really comfortable plastic pant.

I've been scouring various websites and wanted to hear from others their experience from these diapers:
SNAP-EZ
IBEX
LEAK MASTER
ECOABLE

Have any of you had any experience with these diapers or come across other good cloth diaper brands?

From what I also read, bamboo and hemp are the preferred materials for absorbancy in inserts. Do any of you know of other good insert materials?

Last edited:
I'm literally wearing the Ecoable right now. It's a make that has served me well. If you're prone to larger wettings, as I have been lately, you may want to double stuff.

They fit soft, snug, and comfy.

I have several Snap-EZ AIOS and about a dozen of their pocket diapers. They are very comfortable, but the AIOs have limited capacity and the pocket diapers hold even less. I have tried layering another insert and leaks always result.

if you don’t mind changing every hour, the Snap-EZ products are a quality offering. I use mine mostly when I’m outside in my neighborhood (they’re very discrete) or when someone is caring for me.

I use ecoables and have great experience with them

I have tried most of the diapers on your list so here is my 2 cents.

Ibex diapers: These diapers are really institutional diapers. They are not bad and work good but are not as thick as the rest so for me are not as absorbent. They dont have inner leg cuffs but dont need them because the leg elastic is super strong. The PUL cover is rolled over the elastic and sewed to the inner cloth. because of this the PUL bunches around the elastic at the legs and can become uncomfortable.

Snap-EZ Diapers : I bought one if these diapers a few years ago thinking it was a great deal and was surprised when i got it and it was only the pocket diaper with no insert. It worked ok but i could not stuff it as much as I wanted to have to change more often.

ECOABLE Diaper: These are my Favorite snap on cloth diapers. I have both the covers/snap-in inserts and the full snap-on cloth diapers. I like that you can snap an insert into the full snap-on cloth diaper and also into the PUL cover. Their covers have inner leg gussets and they are very absorbent. These diapers are designed to sit lower around your hips and not over your belly button so if you want a high rise diaper this might not be what you are looking for.

If you want a pull on diaper take a look at Superundies. They are not cheep but are very high quality and you can get them in solid colors or prints. These are my favorite pull on cloth diapers and what i wear when i go out as they are easier to hide under clothes. If you look them up they have 2 styles for adults. The Superndies style pullup has a fleece waistband and leg bands and is an all in one type. This is what i have. They also have a 2 part Threadedarmor style that has a more traditional underwear style waistband.

Babykins makes very good quality cloth adult diapers. I have 6 of their Velcro diapers and they are very comfortable.

Reactions: bbpnts
I just today purchased a trial starter set from Changing Times. I got a prefold and a contour, extra stuffer and a PUL cover. Never have tried cloth before so I'll let you know how it goes.

Wondering how much the PUL pant leaks if you overdo the capacity. And does cotton wick well so it doesn't just run through?

Many questions.

The other options look good too. Almost got the ThreadedArmor but wanted to try the feel of a fully enclosed cloth diaper like I had as an infant.
Why would you need a subscription as they offer? How often do you need to resupply? Seems strange.

did someone say highabsorbancy 😛

The problem with all in ones with the waterproof layer on the outside is it makes them harder to wash and get completely clean and it increase the drying time substantially. There have been others that complained that the waterproof layer started to wear out before the rest of the diaper material did. That’s why I wear contour cloth diapers with soaker pads and plastic pants. They can be washed and dried separately and replaced individually as needed. Stay padded, good luck with whatever you choose.

I emailed ecoable a week ago asking when they would restock adult pullups, they replied and said October or November!!!!

I too am ordering some cloth stuff. My super undies will be here next week.

I want to cut costs and reduce garbage, my garbage bags get heavy lol.

Im thinking the rearz velcro pocket diaper with training pants, a 1300 ml booster, and maybe an insert should satisfy my daytime needs.

I got and tried the rearz training pants with a latex cover this week, i had one and a half wettings and the pee just pooled up at the bottom of the latex cover... I figure a 1300ml booster would accommodate 2 avg wettings with the training pants holding maybe 400 ml.

Im okay with a squishy diaper 😇

Hi neophyte,

What is your experience with the super undies? I have been curious about them for a long time, but I think they are a bit expensive. That's why I would like to know your opinion, now that you have probably tried them.

sunman said:
I have tried most of the diapers on your list so here is my 2 cents.

Ibex diapers: These diapers are really institutional diapers. They are not bad and work good but are not as thick as the rest so for me are not as absorbent. They dont have inner leg cuffs but dont need them because the leg elastic is super strong. The PUL cover is rolled over the elastic and sewed to the inner cloth. because of this the PUL bunches around the elastic at the legs and can become uncomfortable.

Snap-EZ Diapers : I bought one if these diapers a few years ago thinking it was a great deal and was surprised when i got it and it was only the pocket diaper with no insert. It worked ok but i could not stuff it as much as I wanted to have to change more often.

ECOABLE Diaper: These are my Favorite snap on cloth diapers. I have both the covers/snap-in inserts and the full snap-on cloth diapers. I like that you can snap an insert into the full snap-on cloth diaper and also into the PUL cover. Their covers have inner leg gussets and they are very absorbent. These diapers are designed to sit lower around your hips and not over your belly button so if you want a high rise diaper this might not be what you are looking for.

If you want a pull on diaper take a look at Superundies. They are not cheep but are very high quality and you can get them in solid colors or prints. These are my favorite pull on cloth diapers and what i wear when i go out as they are easier to hide under clothes. If you look them up they have 2 styles for adults. The Superndies style pullup has a fleece waistband and leg bands and is an all in one type. This is what i have. They also have a 2 part Threadedarmor style that has a more traditional underwear style waistband.
I use superundies sister company threaded armor because the absorbency is removable for washing and it is easier to ad absorbency i used superundies aio night time for a while tho.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
I did end up trying the Superundies and Threadedarmor. There's no doubt that they are comfortable, but because of wicking to the fleece leg cuffs, they are unfortunately very leaky diapers. At this point, I'm leaning towards going back to my MegaMax disposable diapers. Even after repeated wettings, I feel much more dry in them than the cloth diapers I've tried so far. The one thing I like are the cloth boosters though. I've used them over my hips to keep my skin from getting itchy there because of the disposable diaper's plastic wings.

OK I tried different cloth diapers myself. At the beginning I really liked the Ecoable diaper covers. I ordered many of them but actually you don’t really need that many because you can always just change the insert. but what I did notice is that they would always leak around the legs, that is really a big minus point. One day I decided to wear a pair of plastic pants over them and I was completely surprised how more capacity I had going!! I then could wet them completely without leaking. Of course doing it this way you would always need a new fresh cover, because the outside layer would be wet as well.
So then I came to the conclusion that if I have to wear plastic pants over them anyways, I might as well just leave the diaper cover away and just put the inserts and cloth inside of the plastic pants. And this is exactly my preferred choice of cloth diapering now! Now I have a whole drawer full of the equable diaper covers, a pair of the pull ups and the pocket diapers from them that I don’t really use anymore.. But their charcoal bamboo inserts are really good! I have a lot of them!
Another really nice cloth diaper that I have is from Blümchen in medium. They are also really comfortable. You put the insert in from the side.
I also tried the cheap colored ones with snaps from China but you can also order on Amazon. They have a soft nice inside but they leak around the legs and around some of the snaps real fast depending on how they manufactured them...

Another really good thing wearing cloth with plastic pants is that you always have diapers at home! You don’t have to buy more and you can save a lot of money. With the Covid going around you will never have a shortage! Plus it reduces your trash! I also found out that wearing cloth I don’t get sore as much as wearing disposables. It is so much more natural and better to your skin I don’t even need creams! Washing is easy and drying is fast with a dryer. For the most part you can use the plastic pans over and over again without washing each time. Just put new cloth in-on.
The bad part about wearing cloth? Well they are pretty bulky depending on how much cloth you use. But what I have noticed is that I seem to pee a lot more often. Most of the time it just happens. And after I am done wearing and get cleaned up I seem to be dribble leaking a couple drops now and then for a while... that kind of sucks. Especially when I have to go to work... and after wearing long periods of time it seems like it’s harder to hold a full bladder. I find myself going more often to the bathroom.

FrancisAshley said:
I did end up trying the Superundies and Threadedarmor. There's no doubt that they are comfortable, but because of wicking to the fleece leg cuffs, they are unfortunately very leaky diapers. At this point, I'm leaning towards going back to my MegaMax disposable diapers. Even after repeated wettings, I feel much more dry in them than the cloth diapers I've tried so far. The one thing I like are the cloth boosters though. I've used them over my hips to keep my skin from getting itchy there because of the disposable diaper's plastic wings.
Unfortunately su and ta do leak especially after multiple wettings however they are way more economical if you don’t always use them. I like to wear them when I don’t plan on using them or if I only plan on using them once they are a great to mix with disposable diapers if you don’t always plan on using them.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
Thick pin on gauze prefolds with 3-4 baby cloth prefolds inside with good fitting plastic pants is the only thing I’ve found to handle wetting in me sleep.

Reactions: Zeke
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back