Childhood Television Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
A topic which has lit up many a classroom, lecture hall and, indeed, office. What were your favourite TV programmes as a kid? Obviously it's going to vary depending on where you grew up, but a few that I remember with affection:

Bertha – an obscure BBC stop motion animation about a machine that could make anything. The theme tune was great 'Bertha, lovely Bertha. Sometimes I think you're a dream...'. Nobody I have ever spoken to seems to remember it.

ThunderCats – 'Thunder, Thunder, ThunderCats!' A classic for the late eighties/early nineties generation. What the hell was the point of the Snarfs though?

Postman Pat – Somehow doubt this one made it across the pond. Can't remember much ever happening in it but it was pleasant.

Charlie Chalk - Really quite surreal and featuring a clown in some way if I remember.

*at this point of writing the seat part of the chair I was sitting on became separated from the legs (a screw came loose as I swivelled) and I fell, rather unceremoniously on my arse. That's not relevant but I though it should be stated.*

X-Men – I probably just wanted to be Wolverine, bub.

Fireman Sam & Thomas the Tank Engine – More stop motion goodness.

Dogtanion and the Three Muskehounds – A re-imagining of the Three Musketeers as dogs, obviously. I think it was of Spanish origin.

Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars – I remember it for the theme tune more than anything, 'Bucky! Captain Bucky O'Hare! Mutants and aliens and toads beware'. Genius.

Superted – About a superhero teddy bear as you would imagine. The opening sequence when Ted was discarded as faulty used to choke me up.

Mr Benn - Cartoon about a man who used to try on different fancy dress costumes at a shop every week and have crazy adventures corresponding to the clothes he wore.

Dangermouse - Anyone who didn't watch Dangermouse had an incomplete childhood. More intelligent and funnier than most adult attempts at satire.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, though I suspect there will be a few 'Oh, yeah, I used to love that'' moments when people start posting. What are yours then?

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Rugrats - Four babies and their mischievous adventures.

Hey Arnold - That ol' football-shaped head kid.

All That - random skits with Amanda Bynes, Kenan and Kel, Lori Beth Denburg...you know. The GOOD All That.

Kenan and Kel - Aww, here it goes. Enough said.

Pokemon - I wanna be the very best. Like no-one ever was. :3

Power Rangers (Turbo) - Say what you will, this is the season I grew up with. So it's the best.

Rocko's Modern Life - I'm nauseous, I'm nauseous... @[email protected]

Basically anything that was on Nickelodeon in the nineties. I'm a Nicktoon kid, yo. Represent. *cough*

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
"The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh" its the cartoon one that came on in the late 80's or so. They dealt with somewhat dark stuff and scary stuff too sometimes.

Like walking crayons or Eeyore sitting on a hill watching clouds all emo like. His friends tried to cheer him up but at one point they just saw this is what makes him happy so they all just watched clouds together. Bittersweet ending.

Now the problem with the show is Disney has never put it out on DVD yet and it pisses me off. :wallbash:

I also liked the first "Double Dare" and "Wild n Crazy Kids". Then there was "Guts" and "Legend of the hidden temple"

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
This one is really going to age me, I remember the Little Rascals, Rocky and Bullwinkel, Soupy Sales, and loved the Popeye pre and post war cartoons, also Woody woodpecker, and Yogie Bear.

Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Power Rangers (what kid didn't like this show back in the early 90's?)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
GI Joe
Batman (whatever version the early 90's cartoon was)
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Salute Your Shorts (I believe that was the name)
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Hey Arnold (though I found it annoying after I got older)
Rugrats (ditto)
Rocko's Modern Life
Pokemon (again, what kid didn't watch this show in the late 90's)

There were a bunch of others but those were the ones I liked to watch throughout my childhood (not counting when I was four or under though since at that point it was just your stereotypical baby shows like Care Bears, Sesame Street, Barney, etc).

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
This one is really going to age me, I remember the Little Rascals, Rocky and Bullwinkel, Soupy Sales, and loved the Popeye pre and post war cartoons, also Woody woodpecker, and Yogie Bear.
We're in similar camps here. I loved those as a kid as well. In addition to those, I was on the Howdy Doody Show as one of the Peanut Gallery kids. I was 4 at the time. I also liked Disney. It was a new show then. I had to let my mom let me stay up later so that I could watch it. I also liked Andy's Gang and Heckel and Jeckel cartoons. I also would sneak and watch t.v. after midnight and watch Shock Theater.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Who's all-in for Scooby Doo? I remember Saturday mornings with that cartoon like it was yesterday. The older ones are way better than newer ones though...

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
We're in similar camps here. I loved those as a kid as well. In addition to those, I was on the Howdy Doody Show as one of the Peanut Gallery kids. I was 4 at the time. I also liked Disney. It was a new show then. I had to let my mom let me stay up later so that I could watch it. I also liked Andy's Gang and Heckel and Jeckel cartoons. I also would sneak and watch t.v. after midnight and watch Shock Theater.

Yeah, I remember those, well they say your only as old as you feel, in that case I'm still 19,

but it's like turing back the mileage on an old car it looks good, but you know it isn't the right mileage.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Kenan and Kel - Aww, here it goes. Enough said.
That show had so many racial stereotypes >.>

Can't really remember to much about what shows I watch though...

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
For me, the list follows;
DuckTales, I have that on DVD
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
GI Joe, the 80s version
Scooby-Doo
Tom and Jerry
Alf
The Flintstones
And a whole list and I am not sure where to even begin. Even Dangermouse is on that list.

Wildthing121675

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Hmmm
Turtles was a givin,
THundercats
X-Men
Smurfs
Snorks
Fraggel Rock (to this day...)
NO Power Rangers, (sorry, growing up we had two kind of kids, X-men lovers and PR) We did not cross teams
Rescue Rangers
And Yes I know these were not kid shows but they would make me turn on the tv every time
Magiver
Quantum Leap

I seem to ahave left a few out...
I dream of Geini
Bewitched
Munsters
And all of the "Old" (to a 4-8 year old) cartoons. Woodie, Tom and Jerry, and Any Loonie toon. PS my two favs are Marvin and Bartholimule(The Big Red Monster, Barthoolimule dose not like hare cuts). I have a thing for the poor little bad guys.

Last edited:

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other

I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, and I grew up in the 90's. It was on YTV (kids channel here in Canada) every night at 7:30pm, right after Count Duckula which I also used to watch every night :D

I watched a lot of TV growing up, but I don't have time to list it all here... meh, maybe later.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
My list is similar to LuvsGurl's... being a child of the mid-80's. Back when there was actually something good on TV that didn't have to be politically correct or educational. I'll put it into two groups... cartoon and live-action.

--Cartoons
Transformers
Voltron
He-man/She-ra
Justice League
Thundercats
TMNT
Smurfs/Snorks
Scooby
Looney Tunes
Dinosaucers
Duck Tales
Talespin
Classic Cartoons (Whacky racers, Yogi, Popeye, etc.)

--Live Action
Knight Rider
Air Wolf
Power Rangers (original seasons, none of this new crap)
Captain Power (anyone else remember that one?)
MacGuyver
The A-Team
Munsters
I Dream of Genie

I'm sure I forgot some in there somewhere... but you get the idea.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
My favourite tv memories...watching "Romper Room" and "Friendly Giant" and "Mr. Dressup" (in the Casey & Finnigan days) weekday mornings...I also enjoyed "Bewitched", "The Munsters", "The Addams Family" (the original), "The Flintstones", "The Jetsons", "Bugs Bunny", "Tom & Jerry" and the list goes on...

In later years (when my kids were little) I was partial to "Postman Pat" (it did make it this side of the pond), "The Save'ums", "Under the Umbrella Tree", "Little Bear" (although he annoys the he** out of me now for some reason), and a few others that I can't remember the names of at the moment...

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Postman Pat!
Fireman Sam!
Thomas the Tank Engine!

All great! And then I watched a lot of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. Shows like Cow and Chicken, Dexter's lab, Saved by the Bell, The Amanda Show.

And one programme that I've never seen on TV, but had on video: Grim tales! Stories told by Rik Mayall, with bits of weird animation, it was pretty amazing. :D

Role
Private
Postman Pat!
Fireman Sam!
Thomas the Tank Engine!
Wow! That's +100 respect for you right there. Those were great shows and what I primarily watched. Many great memories with them. </nostalgia trip>

I look at kid's shows nowadays and just think to myself, "How can anyone watch this rubbish?"

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I mentioned Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and Thomas the Tank Engine and no one gave me 100 respect. :sad:

Anyway, I always hated Power Rangers. It was just obviously people in gaudy suits being not terribly convincing, always preferred animation. How could I forget the Turtles and He-Man though? Classics.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private

I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, and I grew up in the 90's. It was on YTV (kids channel here in Canada) every night at 7:30pm, right after Count Duckula which I also used to watch every night :D

Yes but you didn't see it when it was brand new, like I did because I believe it came out in the mid to late 60's.....but it still just as funny as it ever was.

Like the muppet show it was suppose to be a kids show, but there was alot of adult humor in it.

If you guys ever get a chance try to find The Soupy Sales Show, same thing thinly disguised adult humor in a supposedly kids show.

Another great show was The Red Skelton Show, a vey funny man just doing stupid stuff, skit and sight gags in a comedy show.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I look at kid's shows nowadays and just think to myself, "How can anyone watch this rubbish?"
I know, it's really sad. I think of the feelings I get when I remember or watch all the old shows I used to watch when I was a kid, and now I watch some of the shows that the kids I babysit watch...and it's like, "I'm so sorry you have to grow up, remembering these as your treasured nostalgia shows... ><;;" Honestly.

The youngest kid I babysit, Evan, he's three. He had a poster of all the Red Rangers, starting at Mighty Morphin' and ending at Mystic Force or whatever...they're on the sixteenth season now... anyway. It makes me feel so old when I'm allllll the way at the top with Mighty Morphin', Turbo, In Space...and he's allllll the way down here with Jungle Fury... dang. It's an eye-opener, especially since they list the years next to the Rangers. 1994 = me. 2007 = Evan. It's an eye-opener, believe me.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
The Amanda Show
All That
Hey Arnold
Anything currently airing on Boomerang
Tom & Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.