• No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JessePup

I'm not sure if someone already posted this but here goes

would haveing a chat room style posting system be better than what we have now?

Yes or no and why.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Nope.

1) Why do we need two IRCs?

2) What do you mean by "Chat room style posting system"? Do you mean that this site would be a box with text scrolling up all the time, completely unable to distinguish between one person and other, or do you mean that we just talk as if we are in a chat room?, which makes absolutely no sense at all..

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
On the whole I agree: there is a permanence about forum posts, until they die from lulls of course. (Hey there's a good pun to be had :lulls/lulz - that gets tucked under my hat.) Now here is an example right here: this pun can sit around getting viewed, and is available for use by anyone, free for the taking. Forum posts are worth taking the time to cite references, correct spelling, research, and to be creative in a time-invested manner. They are also more on topic: whereas in chat anywhere between 1 and 4 convo threads can struggle for room; we can all pat ourselves on the back when we can follow four narratives at once, keeping track of at least the one we are participating in. My point: that each is suited for different purposes, different types of creativity. Which is of course why we have both. Each has authority over the other at times; think on what happens if one goes down, and we can discuss it in the other venue. I have used PM like IRC just for fun, and that had its own virtues: thank-you fellow experimenter :D

Forums, beause there are certain relatively hard and fast rules, allow for fluidity; research papers (monologues,) fiction, information, dialogues, even sometimes one-liner chat can and do occur. But most of the time there is intelligent conversation: short to medium posts, reasonably on topic, well-written according to rules of style (grammar, paragraphing, use of
and
and so on. Not every post need be intelligent, for its thread to be. Chat has a much more relaxed atmosphere: spelling errors, or unusual spelling as part of rp (babytalk, furry noises, foreign accents) are ignored. (Rightly.) RP can break out. People can be educated in the ways of Paint.net, or talked through their homework, or even directed across large cities in real time.

We have IRC, PM, blogs, wiki, visitor messages, and forums; each serves a purpose. I for one enjoy the freedom to use forums like chat sometimes, and read others doing so; but to have forums dominated by chat style would turn it into graphically long and tedious strings of little substance; I don wanna live on marshmallows, though they are nice once in a while.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
no. we already have a chatroom. when someone wants a chatroom-like environment they just go hang out there.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
What do you mean, a chat room RP section? Like on the forums? I don't know if you've noticed, but that's pretty much what it is. One-line responses back and forth. And an occasional ancient beast springing forth from the earth to rain destruction and decay down upon mortals.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
What's the confusion?

He's talking about a roleplay chat room, assuming the RP in the title is for roleplay.

I'm for it. Why not have both? A chat room and a forum for it, and see what works out.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
What's the confusion?

He's talking about a roleplay chat room, assuming the RP in the title is for roleplay.

I'm for it. Why not have both? A chat room and a forum for it, and see what works out.

Oh!

He wants an area for chatplay!

Well, my IRC point still remains. It already exists, really.

And my new reason for saying no is that Chatplaying is to Roleplaying as Deeker is to ABDL.

Well, not quite, but my meaning gets across.

When you Chatplay, there are hardly any rules. Grammar and spelling are lax, there usually isn't a plot, and it's much harder to use detail.

Imagine trying to assign a setting, plot, and purpose to the IRC chat at any given time. It would be impossible.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I've encouraged roleplayers in #ADISC (sometimes encouraged hard) to take it to another channel, since it can be hard to follow a conversation when a whole other scenario is flying by. Just as an aside for any roleplayers out there, this does not mean that as far as I'm concerned no roleplaying ever can occur in the main channel, simply that if it is or looks like it's going to interfere with normal operations, you'll be asked to move along with it.

The only disagreement that I'd have with making such a channel official is that if it's ours, I think we'd be responsible to police it. While I love roleplaying games, I'm not a fan of online RP and the laziness/split attention factor figures in as well in terms of moderating a second channel. The more practical concern is that I think as a site and channel with certain standards, it might be confining for people to work within those standards. If someone goes off and makes their own channel for RP I think this worry is greatly reduced, although I'd hope that people would play nice within the bounds of mutual consent regardless.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
No, I said.

If you want to RP then there's a lovely great big forum for it.

If you want to chatplay, then hook up on IRC and make your own channel. It wouldn't work if everyone was jumping in and out all the time now, would it?

Lizzie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I would kinda like having a chatroom or at least a section in IRC for RP

Sila

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Other
I say no because of what's been stated before: Those who wish to attempt a full fledged RP can gather interest in the RP section of the forums and either take it to a thread, or a seperate channel in IRC. If they want a quick chat RP, they can take it to IMs or IRC chans.

The main problem I see with an official RP chatroom is having to use our chatroom moderators, who are probably stretched a tad thin already, to moderate both the main #adisc chatroom and a fast flowing RP, where boundaries are often hard to distinguish. ESPECIALLY with fetishes such as diapers, furry, sissy, etc. It can be very hard to distinguish what is and isnt cyber in those kinda settings, and even harder to stop them by being fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.