Not open for further replies.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Yes this does stem from darksuns.

Reping for the chat

What are the rules on how this is done?
Does this mean that I can give positive and negative rep?
How could you tell it is not complete BS?
What would warrant a rep?

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
No freaking way. I would have like negative a billion chat rep :(

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
No, the chat is separate and you can't give rep there. Unless you mean coming on here and repping some random post by that user. The rep system is pervasive enough -- leave it out of the chat.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Within reason, I don't see why users can't be repped for their behavior on the chat. It's as much a part of the site as the wiki or forums.[/font]

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
No, the chat and the boards are seperate. When you get banned from chat, you can still come here, and vice versa. Rep is a feature of the board, not chat.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
EDIT: See moo's post below, apparently I misunderstood some stuff.

Last edited:

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
No, the chat and the boards are seperate. When you get banned from chat, you can still come here, and vice versa. Rep is a feature of the board, not chat.
Wait....I though that once your ban from forum that you also become ban from the chat as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, Martin beat me to it lol.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Within reason yes that's possible. Yes you should just find a post and rep that, but be clear about what you're repping for in the reason. Keep it to a minimum though, I don't think there will for instance be a reason to negrep someone, if you want to just report that stuff to the mods in stead. posrep should be limited to when someone helps you with stuff like people could in a thread.

Aby: wrong, the chat and boards are part of the same community, for instance being banned from the forum means you're also banned from the chat. The other way around doesn't have to be the case but there have been several times that has been the case.
Ahh alright, I didn't know that. I did know that you can still visit the forums even when you're banned from chat (in the instances that came to my mind) so I thought it was the same other way around.

Thanks, Marty for the clearup!

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Yes this does stem from darksuns.

Reping for the chat

What are the rules on how this is done?
Does this mean that I can give positive and negative rep?
How could you tell it is not complete BS?
What would warrant a rep?
1) what Marty said

2) yes, and I did it in the past

3) because Mods have chatlogs and can check

Role
Private
What proves you they didn't forge their logs? :3
I don't even keep chat logs. But that works both ways. If someone provided me with a log, I can't prove that it's a forgery or not. My assumption in that it's real is drawn when all parties involved agree that it's happened and/or people are getting defensive about it. But, to be totally honest, I really don't bother with stuff that I only have a log of. I much prefer to deal with things on a case-by-case basis as it happens, not deal with it a day or two later.

Anyway, you can rep people for chat-stuffs. Pretty much how it works on the forum here. Helpful/funny/insightful stuff, etc... Just make sure you are clear about what you are repping for. I don't really see the need to neg-rep though, since the chat is live a mod should be able to sort out the problem then and there.

And forum bans do equate to chat bans, and vice-versa. Moo's made a post about it somewhere (Staff Forum, I'm sure), just that no one ever really gets banned from the forum when they have from the chat. XD

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
What proves you they didn't forge their logs? :3

I never forge my logs...

*snickers*

Seriously though, I don't see how it could work. There would be more negrepping than positive repping...

-Stuff said on the chat (even when useful and insightful) is not as long winded as on the forums. The chat is a different form of communication and does not fit with the rep system
- Negative repping would be easy in the chat...someone says something, bad/offensive or that you don't like? Report'd!

Up until now IRC has been immune to the rep drama the forums have been experiencing, and since that whole issue about immaturity was brought up, I've noticed that it can be quite diverse and interesting (depends on the time of day you're there).

Pleeease, leeeeave IRC alooooooone!

Role
Private

I never forge my logs...

*snickers*

Seriously though, I don't see how it could work. There would be more negrepping than positive repping...

-Stuff said on the chat (even when useful and insightful) is not as long winded as on the forums. The chat is a different form of communication and does not fit with the rep system
- Negative repping would be easy in the chat...someone says something, bad/offensive or that you don't like? Report'd!

Up until now IRC has been immune to the rep drama the forums have been experiencing, and since that whole issue about immaturity was brought up, I've noticed that it can be quite diverse and interesting (depends on the time of day you're there).

Pleeease, leeeeave IRC alooooooone!
Well if no one has repped chat-stuff it in the past, then simply don't do it in the future. Even I wasn't sure on this policy until just a few days ago. It seems like a bit of hassle anyway, so if you don't want to do it and/or get involved, then don't. You can't rep banter and social conversation anyway, which is mostly what goes on in there.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Users shouldn't rep people for what they say in chat.

On the other hand, mods can do so, but only in exceptional circumstances.
If someone does something absolutely amazing in the chat (like teaching a class on how to be a better writer, or stopping a flame war peacefully using social skills) then it is OK for a mod to give them +rep.
Similarly, if someone does something clearly out of bounds (like spamming the chat) then it is OK for a mod to give them -rep.
In either case, the mod should both give a very clear rep reason (preferably quoting the recipient's words), and be prepared for me to contact them manually to check the rep was valid.

The reason I don't want to encourage normal users to do it is that it makes reviewing rep a pain in the ass.
Seriously. How am I supposed to check a 'you said a good thing in chat' rep is justified?
Search for all the lines of chat said by that person... and try to guess which one the rep-giver meant?
That would take too much time.

People should not get away with saying whatever they want in the chat.
I'd love it if we could extend rep to cover the chat.
In terms of making sure rep is legitimate, however... it would be a nightmare.
The potential for abuse is too high, and for this reason, I discourage non-mods from giving rep for what is said in the chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.