character limit cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
How feasible would it be to have a cursor (say, a solid square) to indicate the character limit when composing a pm or rep comment? I have had to manually edit down a character count until the message "fits"...
Of course, I am a long-winded raccoon... I doubt the issue comes up for too many people... Unless they are trying to include images...

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I think the rep comment box could do with being longer, because I've had to cut out stuff from a rep comment so it would fit...

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I think the rep comment box could do with being longer, because I've had to cut out stuff from a rep comment so it would fit...
I agree. Unfortunately the database system is set to only support 250 characters for the reputation reason field... and changing that might cause issues when I upgrade the database later. I don't really want to risk a corrupted database!

I'm afraid you're just going to have to be concise with your reasons. I've enlarged the editing box (but not the maximum value it will accept!) to make editing easier.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I wasn't complaining about the character limit... there has to be some kind of limit anyway. I was simply wondering if there was a way to see where the limit was when composing.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Unfortunately not. The only way to do that would be to enlarge the reputation reason box to make it 250 characters big (say, 5 lines of 50 characters). That would make the reputation box *huge*.

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
How about adding a button that lets the person get the "bigger" box. That way for most people they have the regular size box, but if Raccoon needs a bigger box to show how much he can type, it's available.

cpndl

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Changed box size to be a 50x5 character box. I tried other methods, including spending three hours developing a javascript-based "X characters remaining" counter... but it diddn't work, due to the way vB handles AJAX. Trying the textarea method had a more severe problem - it lets users insert carriage returns into the rep comment, and there's no "limit input to X characters" ability in textareas. So I've gone back to the original 80 char wide box.

Sorry Raccoon, I really tried, but there is just no easy way to do this.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Thank-you for trying, your effort is appreciated. And thank-you extra extra much for explaining why it wasn't feasible. That alone I found very interesting.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
With me it just doesn't type anymore in there after a certain point. Are you using IE?

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I parked IE, removed the insurance, and put it up on blocks. *one IE for sale. Barely used. Underpowered, clunky, but still runs. Mechanic's special. Make me an offer.*

Yawnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'll give you a slice of :pizza: for it, lol :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.