Changing in public restrooms (need advice quickly)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyKai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Hi,

I have been wearing diapers for a year. Two month ago I just wore normal incontince pads and sometimes pull ups. But now because my incontincence issues have gotten so severe (I now end up emptying my entire bladder) I've had to start wearing proper adult diapers.

I'm going out in 2 hours and I'm taking an extra diaper with me. I'm terrified in case I have to change while I'm outside the house. I've never done it before and I'm really nervous.

I do have a radar key (this is for UK disability toilets) as I have mental disabilities as well as incontinence so I am able to change in a large private bathroom. But I'm just so nervous still. I find it hard enough changing myself in the privacy of my own room so doing this in public while my family is waiting for me is mortifying.

I'm just really damn scared right now. The fastest I can change my diaper right now is in about 10 minutes. This is because I have dyspraxia and have bad coordination.

I'd ask my mum to help but something like this is private and very embarrassing so having my mother change me would be something I'd like to avoid completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Changing in public will get easier in time, but for now try to relax and do not stress about having to change, since you are going to be able to use the private larger handicapped washroom it should make it less stressfull juat take the time you need to change.

i would recommend taking a mininum of 2 extra diapers with you incase one of the new diapers has defective tapes or damage to the diaper itself.

when you het a chance you should get a back pack and fill it with supplies you will need while out

spare diapers
wipes
diaper rash cream (just in case)
change of pants (for when leaks happen)

also wearing premium thicker diapers like dry 24/7 or better dry or forsite am/pm will extend the time you will be able to be out with out changing.

have fun while you are out today and do not worry about changing in public I have been doing it for over 2 years and no one has ever noticed or said any thing while I have changed in the public washroom

I have radar key and use the disabled toilets. My continence nurse told me I was entitled to one when I had top start wearing nappies or inco pads all the time.

Don't worry, nobody will say anything and I doubt most people even know what diaper changing sounds like :)
Take your time, don't worry. The first time is the scariest.

It helps to have a plan, wipes are a must too. You will get better over time, one thing you may considering is pre taping your products and sliding them on like underwear if need be, you may also want to look at some more absorbent underwear options like abena northshore care. Another option given how bad the wetting is, is wear a heavier diaper while out with a stuffer. You won't have to change as often that way. You could try a dry 24/7 by itself at first, if you need more protection put some type of booster in it.

Last edited:
Don't worry, it gets easier in terms of dealing with the logistics of all of it. I started changing when I was fairly young and it was really difficult to start with and took some time to become better at it.

It's okay to take your time. I myself take a lot of time because it's not just a quick easy change so don't rush. And as the posts above just plan a few things out and take it easy.
Wish you luck :)

Thanks everyone. I managed to change my diaper in disabled toilet. It took a lot of trial and error as I and to change standing up due to the floor being dirty. I've only tried changing whilst standing up two times so it took me quite awhile. I think my family kinda know so they were patient.

I'm feeling a lot more confident now so I won't be in panic mode next time haha.

We rarely have disabled toilets in the uS, though we do have larger stalls for the disabled sometimes and some places have "family" bathrooms which give more space.

I've gotten pretty good at changing even in a regular stall. Practice at home the "pin the diaper between your back and the wall" method of putting it on.

willnotwill said:
I've gotten pretty good at changing even in a regular stall. Practice at home the "pin the diaper between your back and the wall" method of putting it on.

I've actually gotten to the point that I can do a better tape up with this method than laying on my back, including using powder and placing boosters inside a Molicare that doesn't have a landing zone :O

Hello BabyKai

I had intended to give some of the same advice as Rob and others here, particularly about not stressing since you already have access to the privacy of bathrooms for the disabled, but I see your trip went well and that you managed to change. Well done.
Regarding changing standing up, I always change standing up, whether it is at home or when out and about, since my experience is that I get a better fit that way. Not to mention that it is hardly possible to lay down in any public restrooms, while changing while standing is usually easy.
To make it easier, lean your bum/ backside against the sink or the wall when changing. That way you hold your nappy up on your backside while adjusting it in the front. Assuming your nappy has four tapes (two on each side), I recommend attaching the lower on each side first, when leaning against a sink or wall. After attaching both, you can now stand freely and thus easier make the final adjustments and then attach the top tapes on each side.
Practice a little at home on this method of changing and soon it will be far easier also when in public restrooms.
Best wishes,
E. :eek:

Changing my diaper in public restrooms is not an issue for me.
I am used to changing my own diapers as an older adult with CP and Autism.

Here across the pond we don't need extra keys to use a disabled restroom, when I am at an event I used the disabled port-a-potty as I have more room to change and do it standing up, it takes some practice but it you will get it in time. I have never had any problems using the disabled stalls and if some one gave me crap about it I would just show the wet diaper, I think that qualifies the need for the bigger space in the portable bath room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back