Not open for further replies.

jamie72

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I have been having bladder issues as an adult for ten years. I wear protection 24/7, it started with small scale pads for 'drips' and gradually I needed more capacity. Now I wear high capacity all in one diaper, these are good as they only rarely leak.

I have tried lots of medication and some surgery. I have a choice now - more Botox and controlled wetting with catheter or to continue with my diapers. Both have pros and cons . Does anyone else have this issue? What choice did you make? Why did you make it? Are you happy with your choice?

I have been making use of controlled via catheter for the past 36 years and have now started to simply give into the diaper more often. I find that years of catheter use does irritate the urethra. Making use of diapers does not mean that I do not cath at times or attempt to use a toilet. But I have found that diaper used does take away a bit of the stress and management issues.

Catheters are known for infections, as diapers are more of a mental stigma. It also depends on what kind of diapers you're using. The thinner diapers can cause anxiety with worrying of leaking. The thicker diapers can cause worry of exposure. (Which I believe is all in the mind because no one looks for diaper butts)

Diapers are more comfortable in my opinion and if you can get over your own fears, you'll be able to carry on as normal in public.

depends on what im doing, if im traveling ill cath for up to a week at a time. I just keep a pull up on to catch any drips and to hold the tubing still.

I have had no control of my bladder or bowels for my entire life. I have been catherized a few times and diapered for decades. I would always choose diapers

I have gone to using a condom catheter more frequently now as a result of the significant increase in the cost of quality diapers. However, for night time use I still use a good disposable diaper and a plastic panty.

Oh yeah, there's no way I'd go with catheters after having three of them done within an hour for a urodynamic test. I can't imagine ANYONE choosing the searing pain of inserting one of them over wearing a diaper unless, as was said, it was an absolute necessity. I think we're safe there, heh.

I had to use a catheter for about six weeks after back surgery as I no longer could pee on my own. After the swelling went down, it took the pressure off the nerves in my lower back and things kicked in. Given my druthers, I would much rather wear diapers than cath myself. I recently had a UTI and the pain was unbelievable. Catheters can cause such problems and I never want to go there again.

I've done catheters before, I absolutely HATE them. I'll take a diaper and the risk of embarrassment any day over a catheter. Hell, I'd be more willing to wear a diaper with obvious AB prints and see through pants out and about before a catheter.

diapers 100%

AnalogRTO said:
I've done catheters before, I absolutely HATE them. I'll take a diaper and the risk of embarrassment any day over a catheter. Hell, I'd be more willing to wear a diaper with obvious AB prints and see through pants out and about before a catheter.

That's how I felt even though my problem was the opposite of yours. I couldn't believe when it happened to me, after the surgery. I had to meet with a urologist and he told me that my condition could very well be permanent. I was very depressed. I'm sure you can imagine my jubilation on that day when I first felt like I had to go pee and it worked. Oh the things we take for granted when we're young and healthy.

Jamie72,

For some of us it is not a choice. I self-cath for post-void retention but must wear a diaper anyway for both urinary and bowel incontinence. My self-cathing is painless and only a little bit uncomfortable as I am using hydrophilic catheters that self-lubricate with a thin layer of water to cause an almost frictionless surface. Unfortunately, I have to pay the difference out of my pocket for the amount over what my insurance will cover.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7; cloth at night)

The first time I had a foley catheter inserted was for retention and the pain on insertion put me in shock. I'm a big, tall man, so they used a large diameter tube 24 French... WRONG! The next time I had a foley catheter inserted for retention, I informed them of my previous experience and they used a 16 French and I didn't even feel it going in, so all I felt was relief (physical and mental). After that I was taught how to straight catheter myself with a 16 French when required, and had no issue. Following surgery I wore a Foley catheter for 6 weeks straight. When you have to wear one you get used to it. Wearing under trousers (no shorts! LOL) was easy and undetectable until the bag started filling up and would slosh when walking. Emptying the bag in a toilet was extremely easy. I did have to wear a thin diaper to catch drips and dribbles. The uncomfortable part was while in bed sleeping. I sleep on my sides and belly. Overtime I would move there would be a strong, resistive, eerily uncomfortable tug that would wake me right up. Bottom line, I can handle catheters pretty well now, but easily prefer diapers.

I remember when I was cathing, I switched down from an 18 to a 16 and that was a lot better. I also used KY to lube the catheter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back