Casual game project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Hi. As I mentioned before, I'm gonna make a casual game for Android and iOS (probably). The project is called "My Adorable Cub" (MAC) and the basic idea is that you give care to interactive talking pet, you can talk to him, ask simple questions, and do other things. At the moment you can only ask him questions, tickle his tummy and touch his nose. Cub lives in "real world" because in-game time of the day depends on time of your system clock. I will polish the model and animation, just couldn't help to try it out, so I released a small demo for Windows :tongueout:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t3iyobx0dzjpp09/MACdemo.zip

Maybe I will make a talking plushy instead of furry cub.. :rolleyes:
Is anyone have crazy and cute ideas regarding activities, stuff and gameplay in general?

Oh no.. No replies for a week ((
Is nobody really interested? :sweatdrop:
Maybe I posted it in a wrong forum..?
To move on with the development I need to decide following things:
Environment: wild nature or indoors?
Activities: toys, drawing, musical instruments?
Diapers: yup, or better not?
Should there be dependence on how much time you spend with character and his/her health for example, like in tamagochi? But I don't want him to grow up :tongueout:
Should I make a "character designer" for customisations? What animals it should include?

I'd like to make enhanced ai, unique personality for each copy, not just random choices but likes and dislikes - favorite color (for crayons especially), favorite toys, favorite dishes..
What musical instruments would you like to play? Maybe xylophone, and character will be able to memorize in time and play the melodies you play?
Also I'd like to implement speech recognition, but it's difficult to do on unity engine ( Well, the easiest solution is to use built-in google speech recognition on android, but I think it will be boring.. It would be almost the same if you typed text with keyboard..
I don't yet know how to make fur, but I'm working on it..

What do you think? And please, feel free to share your ideas!

Ill give you some feed back.

Environment: how about have the option for both. for wild nature it might look better if it was set in woods/ forest. you could make multiple environments for the player to chose form.

Activities: tou all ready got some good activity ideas. how about the player can create there own top design.

Diapers: I think no diapers. however you could again always have an option for diapers or not.

Different animals: cats, bears, tigers, lions

Character model: the only thing bugging me about it is the front paws (sorry if that's not helpful).

Hope this feed back is helpful.

TonyTonyChopper said:
Ill give you some feed back.

Environment: how about have the option for both. for wild nature it might look better if it was set in woods/ forest. you could make multiple environments for the player to chose form.

Activities: tou all ready got some good activity ideas. how about the player can create there own top design.

Diapers: I think no diapers. however you could again always have an option for diapers or not.

Different animals: cats, bears, tigers, lions

Character model: the only thing bugging me about it is the front paws (sorry if that's not helpful).

Hope this feed back is helpful.

Hi TonyTonyChopper. Thanks for feedback)

An option for environment? Like to let player to choose a "room"? How about to make it related to a certain playable character? Cats live at home, bears in the forest, in a burrow, for example..?

Umm.. To create own top design?? You mean decorating the environment?

Okay, no diapers then :tongueout:
I'm not sure how can I make an option for diapers - like asking the players if their cub is potty trained? :sweatdrop:

Aww, lion cub would be amazing X3
With or without fur on head? Lion cubs don't have fur, as far as I know, but without fur it would look like stripeless tiger cub..

Front paws are rigged, I mean there are "bones" in each finger, I just haven't decided what to do with paws, so they remain motionless. Maybe when I give him a plushy to hug X3

When I showed it to some of my friends they said that I should make the colors brighter and more cartoon-looking graphics.. And that eyes look scary - I gotta limit the rotation angle.. ^w^

ScaredyCat, I like your idea, just have not checked it out or felt a need to contribute to the thread. Most of the time, I do not even check the Off-Topic forum. Your thread title caught my attention and made me check out the thread.

There are a few things to keep in mind when developing a software program and sharing it on the Internet. The first thing would be how to receive feedback which this article on writing covers nicely.

Tripped said:
The purpose of this article is to outline the forms of response and/or criticism a writer/author may face when posting online, and how to handle them. The examples that I have used below are typical comments that I have received from a "normal" writing site, and illustrate the variety of responses that you can expect to come across.

The next and most frustrating part about software is a distinct lack of feedback. On another forum, I have seen hobby software developers produce some really special programs. They spend months programming, find a hosting site, and then post about it on the forum. A month later, over a thousand downloads and absolutely no feedback. A week later, one person complains "it won't work". After trying to figure out the program issue, it is realized that the user failed to install it correctly (missing files, wrong directory, incorrect permissions, etc.).

You have this in the correct forum, you gave two well written posts, and managed to get one reply. I think that is fairly good. Getting a survey for level of interest is nearly impossible on a forum. If you had a game website, demo pictures, and an easy survey or voting function, you could get a little more feedback, but still not very good. My recommendation would be to make the game how you would like, the way that you would most enjoy playing, and enjoy the programming and playing of your game.

Not sure how widely you plan to circulate this game or how much AB/DL themes you would like to include. Including diapers may not be the best choice for showing to friends and family. On the other hand, you could allow the user to make different "skins" for the characters and make some diaper skins to share separately. That way, the program is completely normal to everyone, but stronger AB/DL elements could be added. It could seperate you from possible backlash from non-ABDLs upset about the diaper or pacifier use.

I feel that you should tell a story or somehow give context to the game. Minecraft has build and survive, role playing games have defined roles and environment, and FPS has some reason to be shooting. What is your theme?

Jeremiah said:
ScaredyCat, I like your idea, just have not checked it out or felt a need to contribute to the thread. Most of the time, I do not even check the Off-Topic forum. Your thread title caught my attention and made me check out the thread.

There are a few things to keep in mind when developing a software program and sharing it on the Internet. The first thing would be how to receive feedback which this article on writing covers nicely.

Hi Jeremiah, thanks for advice and for your feedback) I've read the article you quoted.

I created this thread because I'm really curious to know what features would you like to see in this game. And there are certain umm.. delicate things I wouldn't like to discuss in general gaming communities.

Jeremiah said:
Not sure how widely you plan to circulate this game or how much AB/DL themes you would like to include. Including diapers may not be the best choice for showing to friends and family. On the other hand, you could allow the user to make different "skins" for the characters and make some diaper skins to share separately. That way, the program is completely normal to everyone, but stronger AB/DL elements could be added. It could seperate you from possible backlash from non-ABDLs upset about the diaper or pacifier use.

I think diapers and pacifiers shouldn't necessary point at AB/DL, besides, my character is neither a grownup, nor even a human! There are plenty of "baby/pet care" games for girls where diapers are quite common. In FaceQ app - it's an avatar/emoji generator - there are lots of silly attributes like carrots, octopuses, also pacifier and formula bottle. Maybe if I mix it with other items, it wouldn't stick out and repel non-ABDL players..? Diapers can be a pants option in char-designer, and paci can be used to mute the app sound.. for example.. yet I shouldn't focus too much on that :no:

Jeremiah said:
My recommendation would be to make the game how you would like, the way that you would most enjoy playing, and enjoy the programming and playing of your game.

Thanks) Yep, I do enjoy the dev process, it feels almost like I'm Dr.Frankenstein (hE's aLiVe!) :tongueout:

Jeremiah said:
I feel that you should tell a story or somehow give context to the game. Minecraft has build and survive, role playing games have defined roles and environment, and FPS has some reason to be shooting. What is your theme?

Well, the game is focused on interactions with virtual character. There's no story or anything beside a short explanation in the beginning. The only it's purpose is to have fun! :biggrin:
Though I could enhance it with holidays and gifts, and multiplayer mode where you can meet a friend's character and play together.. I dunno, I'll think about this..

The theme or story does not have to be elaborate to be a good game. Tetris is simply stack blocks. Minecraft in survival mode is simply keep the miner alive to build stuff. What is required is the detail that sparks interest and draws people to the game. Tetris is a fast moving puzzle game that I have played way more than I should on game boy, computer, iPod, and phone. Minecraft is simply gather materials to build stuff; people enjoy it for the exploration, creativity, and pure simplicity of it. People get hooked because they need more blocks to build their castle, home, fence, etc.

So, for your game, I am guessing players have found a creature that thinks they are the parent. The creature must be fed, entertained, taught, and exercised regularly. Depending on the creature, different activities may be preferred. There could also be different aging scales. It could be set for a year (either abrieviated in game scale or real time), longer, or fixed at some specific period. I would enjoy having a cat if it stayed like an 8 week kitten; they don't and I avoid them.

If you are making a game where people interact with creatures, it has got to have dinosaurs: cute, cuddley t-Rex, velociraptor, or something that can fit the game model. Monkeys and Gorillas may also be good. A living teddy bear could be entertaining.

This brings up the hard part, design creep. There are all sorts of cool things that could be done. The question is how much do you want to put into the game? Do you want 4 creatures, 8, or a full dozen? How many interactions do you want to program? How much speaking and answering would be good? There is some point that will require too much time and something will have to be left out. I have found this limit programing microcontrollers which have extremely limited ram. Had to scale back my plan to fit.

Best of luck with your game. Hope it turns out really well for you.

I only have an iPad so I cant even play the demo :(

Jeremiah said:
So, for your game, I am guessing players have found a creature that thinks they are the parent.

Awwwww, Jeremiah, this is a nice idea! I like it X3
I can even imagine the way for the intro to be "directed" )

Jeremiah said:
The creature must be fed, entertained, taught, and exercised regularly. Depending on the creature, different activities may be preferred.

So there are regular daily tasks to do? When creature is hungry, it can send a notification (reminder) at certain time - I'm hungry! Same with other things..

Jeremiah said:
There could also be different aging scales. It could be set for a year (either abrieviated in game scale or real time), longer, or fixed at some specific period. I would enjoy having a cat if it stayed like an 8 week kitten; they don't and I avoid them.

Erm.. Aging means changes.. It's okay if gameplay is limited in time - pokemons transform into the stronger forms, kids grow up - game over. Sims, on the contrary, is an endless game, sims grow old and die and you just forget about them and take care of their children and grand-children.. I'm afraid, aging doesn't quite fit into my conception and game title(

Jeremiah said:
If you are making a game where people interact with creatures, it has got to have dinosaurs: cute, cuddley t-Rex, velociraptor, or something that can fit the game model. Monkeys and Gorillas may also be good. A living teddy bear could be entertaining.

This brings up the hard part, design creep. There are all sorts of cool things that could be done. The question is how much do you want to put into the game? Do you want 4 creatures, 8, or a full dozen? How many interactions do you want to program? How much speaking and answering would be good? There is some point that will require too much time and something will have to be left out. I have found this limit programing microcontrollers which have extremely limited ram. Had to scale back my plan to fit.

Creating characters is not really time-consuming, I usually just slightly change the basic geometry - this saves a good amount of time on "skinning" (i.e. attaching geometry vertices to bones). For some clothes it can be okay just to recolor textures. So, a full dozen, why not? XD
The same with toys and items, in sake of performance they shouldn't be high-poly and complex.

Okay, I'm going to sketch characters! Cat, bear, tiger, lion, monkey, dinosaur.. Wait, dinosaur?! The one with huge claws and sharp fangs and spikes and lizard-like skin? oO
I'll try to sketch it, but cute tyrannosaurus.. it is hard for me to imagine.. T__T
Teddy bear? I don't know.. When I mentioned talking plushy I meant rather style of graphics - to make all characters look like stuffed toys.. :tongueout:
I could make, let's say, 4 basic creatures, and add more later with updates.. And, of course, fur color and spots will be customisable. )
Programming for toys and activities is a tougher task as each one requires different approach and controls..

Sulqy117 said:
I only have an iPad so I cant even play the demo :(

Sulqy, sorry, at the moment I can't build for iOS..
In order to export project for iOS it is required to run Unity under OS X and developer certificate from Apple and I have neither of it (

I made a map editor for a game like 10 years ago lol. This was before all the fancy graphics card stuff.
I'd love to help since I'm an expert at programming. Not specifically games, but It's not a stretch.
But.. Alas I'm super busy with important things to spend time on such a project =(

Yeah, my previous post was a brainstorm passed on to you. Given your plan, the aging thing just would not work.

As for the dinosaur, it is possible to do cute and cuddley. Barney, the dinosaur on Toy Story, and the dinosaurs in little children books are good examples. Some fondly remember liking dinosaurs when they were little and it would be a nice addition. The most popular one for children is the tyrannosaurus, the big, mean, sharp teethed one. I cannot explain it or agree with it, but I have met several little kids that wanted to show off their T-Rex. When the teeth and claws are soft cloth and the mouth is a rediculous grin, it becomes adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back