• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Cash For Clunkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
This is actually a very real temptation for us because we have an old '89 GMC van that would qualify (17 MPG Highway) and we've been constantly dumping money into it to keep it running.

Cash for Clunkers Car Buying Stimulus Bill- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

The sad thing is, the cars turned in get scrapped and are not to resold as used vehicles. We've had the van since our son was born - bought it to replace the Ford Tempo that was then too cramped to accomodate two children's car seats plus two adults comfortably on long trips - and it therefore holds some sentimental value to us, going back to when our kids were still little.:frown: But, we'll have to give it some serious consideration as to whether to let sentiments over it keep us from taking advantage of having $3500 to $4500 to put towards a replacement vehicle.

~Pramrider

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
From the last thing I heard about this there only takeing certian cars, it leaves me out everthing I have is on the newer side, all except the old miata, and that is too nice to crush.

Well what thay are doing in a round about way is makeing the really nice old cars more valuble, this could help the collector car market quite a bit it will make the older cars sold at places like carlilse and hershey worth more money.

I saw some great looking older cars at hershey last fall, I wish I had an huge garage and a ton of cash, they were some nice rides for around 3500 bucks.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'd probably do that if it were to get passed, although since I have a minivan, it needs to have a COMBINED city and highway mileage of 18 or less...18 is just about what mine has on the city alone.

Scratch that, I looked on the fueleconomy.gov they have listed, and the combined mileage is 18 :O If that's so, then I'd totally do it.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Me and my dad could get like 12,000 bucks from this. My dad's friend from Nevada could maybe get 50,000 at least.

There's two car's in the garage that I think will never get fixed and one's a astro van which I know I won't drive due to it being too big and even in 15 MPH winds it's odd to steer. There's just too much surface area on that van, it's pretty much a box.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Me and my dad could get like 12,000 bucks from this. My dad's friend from Nevada could maybe get 50,000 at least.

There's two car's in the garage that I think will never get fixed and one's a astro van which I know I won't drive due to it being too big and even in 15 MPH winds it's odd to steer. There's just too much surface area on that van, it's pretty much a box.
You don't just get the money and that's it. You have to buy a new car with better mileage to get the money. It's not like "Well here's my car." "Okay, here's your money, don't spend it all in one place."

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You don't just get the money and that's it. You have to buy a new car with better mileage to get the money. It's not like "Well here's my car." "Okay, here's your money, don't spend it all in one place."
Meh, well at least it's actually helpful rather then this 2 trillion dollars that hasn't done much of anything yet.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Meh, well at least it's actually helpful rather then this 2 trillion dollars that hasn't done much of anything yet.
You do realize the money for this is FROM the huge stimulus thing, right? And what do you expect after only 5 months or so? People need to realize that things take time.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Our government has pulled that idea out of the hat back in January, and the program has been running since February. Apparently, it was very successful - almost 1.5 million people scrapped their old cars (had to be at least 9 years old and registered in your name for at least a year to qualify) and bought new ones.
It was meant to stimulate the automobile industry and replace inefficient cars with newer ones.

I don't most people really care about scrapping rare or older cars, as no one really uses cars older than 15 years for regular journeys. Cars that old are probably considered classic and driven for nostalgic value rather than commuting.

Peachy

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You do realize the money for this is FROM the huge stimulus thing, right? And what do you expect after only 5 months or so? People need to realize that things take time.
I am willing to bet your going to be saying the same thing in 5,10 or even 20 years from now. I know things take time and it's true it's not enough time for this stuff to trickle down. It's just insane it takes this long for even a fraction of it to finally get out of red tape.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I am willing to bet your going to be saying the same thing in 5,10 or even 20 years from now. I know things take time and it's true it's not enough time for this stuff to trickle down. It's just insane it takes this long for even a fraction of it to finally get out of red tape.
If it's still like this in 5 years, well then there must be some problem, but I won't keeping saying that these things take time. 5 months really isn't a realistic time for something to be pushed through House and Congress, repeatedly until they both pass it and then the President can view it, etc. You have too much confidence in a speedy government.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
My wife and daughter just returned home from their trip and I ran the idea past her. I think she's seriously thinking it might be the way to go. We need to finish getting our son's Ford Focus paid off first before the plan (if passed) ends later in the Fall because we definitely don't want two car payments to be weighing us down financially. We'll also most likely trade in another vehicle to the dealer - not a gas guzzler and ineligible for a voucher - to get our payment down as low as possible. This will save us insurance costs reducing from 4 vehicles to 3, plus when my son gets his license he can be an *extra* fourth driver and not assigned as a principle driver of any of the remaining 3 cars. As a new, younger driver, that will be a nice savings in insurance for him!

~Pramrider

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I was about to click the link until I saw the words "Stimulus Bill". I have made a statement - I will not buy or partake in anything that includes those words, except for the original!

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If it's still like this in 5 years, well then there must be some problem, but I won't keeping saying that these things take time. 5 months really isn't a realistic time for something to be pushed through House and Congress, repeatedly until they both pass it and then the President can view it, etc. You have too much confidence in a speedy government.
Point is by the time this does anything the recession might be over.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
This is a great deal for consumers, auto dealers and manufacturers, and an ok deal for the environmental movement. I think it shoudl include incentives if you purcase a hybrid (incentives for just that purpose expired not long ago). It should be noted though that this law requires that you buy a new car, not used or pre-owned car. Even with the $4,500 you might save purchasing a new car, you might still get a better deal if you purchase a used car and forego the incentives. A 2007 or 2008 will get you a better, nicer car for the same price as you would a new car. And what do you have six months after buying a new car? A used car.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Hmmm I occasionally really need the people-capacity or cargo capacity of a minivan, but love the fuel economy of a small, light nimble car. I have had good luck buying my last couple of cars for under $1000 each; and by sticking to a model that was sold on droves, parts are plentiful and advice easy to come by on the internet. I keep parking insurance on the undriven one and switch insurance over as needed. I also really like having a working spare car, for when one comes down with something. Seriously: drive the nice one, but have the cheapy spare car in reserve.

If a person drives some monster, like a big truck, it may well cost the same or less to get a tiny car, the gas saving paying for the amortised purchase price+ insurance+ the etceteras like registration and minor maintenance: plugs, wires, etc. while still having the truck to drive as needed.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've been wanting to trade in my 96 Jeep Cherokee for something small and economical, but since my wife retired, I'm going to have to see how we are financially. She isn't old enough to retire, but she went out on full disability. Anyway, the cost of gas seems to be going up again.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Oh yes, what with peak oil (all the easy oil is gone; what's left is progressively more expensive to obtain) and with India and China deciding they like personal mobility after all, oil could only go up. This is God's way of signalling His approval for Lovers of big old American iron, as the market collapses for old things with 350+ CID engines. Seriously, you can pick up

Plug-in hybrids are already here; fuel cost is roughly 1/4 of using gasoline. They are the future. Plug-in hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Probably wont use the incentive - New Truck won't get used.

This is a great deal for consumers, auto dealers and manufacturers, and an ok deal for the environmental movement. I think it shoudl include incentives if you purcase a hybrid (incentives for just that purpose expired not long ago). It should be noted though that this law requires that you buy a new car, not used or pre-owned car. Even with the $4,500 you might save purchasing a new car, you might still get a better deal if you purchase a used car and forego the incentives. A 2007 or 2008 will get you a better, nicer car for the same price as you would a new car. And what do you have six months after buying a new car? A used car.
Thanks Pramrider for the thread and link. I told my wife about this incentive and explained we could get the incentive for the 1985 Ford F250 with a 460cid engine (that we bought 2 years ago - just before gas shot up to over $4.00 a gallon).

She said we could look into it but mentioned that she knew me: I would not be willing to use a new 2010 six cylinder half-ton to haul gravel for our driveway or fill with firewood for our heating source or any other nasty project that would get my new baby dirty or messed up.

I told her she was right. Truth is we have only put about 650 miles on the old Ford truck in the past 2 years. And we just bought another car in March 2009, an SUV to replace our small Mazda B2300 pickup.

This is a good year for a new car if you can swing it. We just bought a Isuzu Rodeo Sport 2DR with 8,100 actual miles (Less than a years mileage) for just below Kelly Blue Book value ($7950). It looks absolutely show room and still has that new car smell.

Business owner in town bought it new for over $23,000 in 2001 and kept it in his garage until he put it on consignment this spring. The most gorgeous Silver and Teal paint, Alloy wheels and 16inch traction tires. It has V6, posi-traction, dual sunroofs, power everything and the dealership put a new class III hitch and electrical hooks ups for $0 to close the deal. I'll try to post a picture.

We needed something with a V6 to pull our tent trailer this summer. Three week trip around the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park (Washington State) this August (1500 mi). We'll also have a 3-4 day reunion with my 2 sons, daughter in law and 2 grandsons, 7 years and 6 months camping on the Hood Canal.

Then were back home to Southern Oregon for a month and will turn around for a trip to Calgary, Canada (1900 - 2500 mi trip) in late September to see our daughter, son-in-law and grand daughter 4 and 1/2 years old.

So if you look carefully you should be able to find some real deals during this current recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.