car shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Okay, I think I am going with buick as my first car. My relatives have had them in the past and they worked great for many many years. I am looking at either a lesabre or a park ave. Year range, 1997-2004 what ever one i find that is affordable and that i like. What would the insurance look like for a 17 yr/old for a park ave? Is either one expensive to fix?

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
get one of the supercharged buicks son.

You'll like it.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
The word Buick sounds like a vomit sound.

Hey, just sayin'. :D

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
hey now...I am not a power man, I am a luxury kind of guy :D

Yes but power and luxury. Imagine that!

Also check out the taurus SHO.

You'd like it. I have 2 of em.

One is turbo'd one is stock. Stock one has 298K on it and still going strong.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
At 17 what you do is get put on to your parents insuranance, and save your money because after you get taken off the policy you will be paying at least 2 grand a year, depending on the type insurance you get.

If you just get liability you could get away for about a grand a year, but if you finnance the car you will need full coverage.

The best thing is get a car you can afford so it doesn't have to have collision insurance.

My great niece just got a neon ( I had no say that is what she wanted) she is on her moms policy she is paying 1500 a year.

And when you get old you will finaly get cheaper insurance I pay 1400 a year for full coverage on three new cars, maita, vette, and a tacoma.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
My dad's 2009 Sliverado costs like 500 dollars on full coverage by itself. It will go down in 6 months but still that's a lot of money.. then again it is FULL coverage and it is worth it.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
At 17 what you do is get put on to your parents insuranance, and save your money because after you get taken off the policy you will be paying at least 2 grand a year, depending on the type insurance you get.

thats what i just did. i let my mom put my car in her name, so it's "technically" hers... and i'm added as an occasional driver. which isn't bad in the least for my wallet. :)

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
thats what i just did. i let my mom put my car in her name, so it's "technically" hers... and i'm added as an occasional driver. which isn't bad in the least for my wallet. :)

What you need to do now is start saveing money now, because eventuly you will be off the policy and your going to need a whole bunch of money to continue driving.

Put some away if you can, if you can get enough to pay a year ahead it will not be such a problem later on.

briefboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Get a GNX lol. :p

What is your price limit here (if you don't mind me asking)? Buicks are good cars, but there are tons of other cars that would make a great first car too, like a SHO as Jonathon suggested.

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Buicks are good cars. Get one with the 3.8 and you will have no problems. From what I hear, the 3.8 and accompanying transaxle are pretty reliable.

Also, if you can pay cash and avoid a loan you will save on insurance ... kidn of. If you own the car, you have the option to go without comprehensive and all extra. Pay cash and get what YOU want for insurance, not what the bank wants.

A Taurus SHO would be a nice car (insurance wise, too) and a sleeper!

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
Buicks are good cars. Get one with the 3.8 and you will have no problems. From what I hear, the 3.8 and accompanying transaxle are pretty reliable.

Also, if you can pay cash and avoid a loan you will save on insurance ... kidn of. If you own the car, you have the option to go without comprehensive and all extra. Pay cash and get what YOU want for insurance, not what the bank wants.

A Taurus SHO would be a nice car (insurance wise, too) and a sleeper!

Right on Dot Dot Dot, you know :)

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
17? male? have fun paying for your insurance.

The LeSabre is second only to the Grand Marquis for cheapest insurance rates in the country. DT, the GM "G" body cars (the LeSabre, Bonneville, Olds 88, and Riviera) are bulletproof cars. They take a crapton of abuse, are cheap to insure, cheap to repair, easy to repair (ANYONE knows how to work on them), are reasonably reliable, and are comfortable cruisers.

There are a couple issues... They like to eat alternators, the 4T60E tranny doesn't like to be thrashed, and they tend to rust (and shed layers of paint, due to a paint flaw many '90s domestics had). As long as it shifts smooth, the oil and/or coolant isn't milky, and the body is sound, it's probably a good car. These things regulary see 200-300,000 miles on them.

I wouldn't advise on an SHO as a 1st car... As Johnathon can tell you, they need specialized service every 60k miles (like valve adjustments), and anything in a "new car owner"s price range is likely going to be a basket case. Reliable SHOs are becoming like unicorns... Very hard to find.

Stick with your idea. A LeSabre is a big, cheap, comfortable safe car that will serve you well, and not kill you on insurance. It'll also have a backseat big enough for any situations that arise :), as well as being able to cart friends and their crap on roadtrips and such.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The LeSabre is second only to the Grand Marquis for cheapest insurance rates in the country. DT, the GM "G" body cars (the LeSabre, Bonneville, Olds 88, and Riviera) are bulletproof cars. They take a crapton of abuse, are cheap to insure, cheap to repair, easy to repair (ANYONE knows how to work on them), are reasonably reliable, and are comfortable cruisers.

There are a couple issues... They like to eat alternators, the 4T60E tranny doesn't like to be thrashed, and they tend to rust (and shed layers of paint, due to a paint flaw many '90s domestics had). As long as it shifts smooth, the oil and/or coolant isn't milky, and the body is sound, it's probably a good car. These things regulary see 200-300,000 miles on them.

I wouldn't advise on an SHO as a 1st car... As Johnathon can tell you, they need specialized service every 60k miles (like valve adjustments), and anything in a "new car owner"s price range is likely going to be a basket case. Reliable SHOs are becoming like unicorns... Very hard to find.

Stick with your idea. A LeSabre is a big, cheap, comfortable safe car that will serve you well, and not kill you on insurance. It'll also have a backseat big enough for any situations that arise :), as well as being able to cart friends and their crap on roadtrips and such.

Okay, good deal! I am glad to hear that :) Just so everyone know, my spending limit is around 3K

M

Maxx

LeSabre isn't a bad choice. Any of the old full size GM cars are going to be cheap to insure (no hotrodding temptation), cheap to buy, readily available parts, easy to fix (except for getting the old, rusty parts off....)

Got Maxx Junior a late 80's Cadillac for going away to school (several years ago). I always liked small cars, but he found this one cheap ($1500) from some old guy down the block that was hanging up the keys. When it needed fixing, I told he was on his own if he took it someplace, but I'd buy the parts if he turned the wrench. He learned a lot about cars that way.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
If you want to save money on fuel stay away from the 3.8 find something with a 3.1 or the 3.4 they are much more fuel efficent and longer lasting engines.

Look into a monte carlo nice cars cheap to drive, and they don't look like your driving your fathers car, and they very reliable and came with all three of those engines the SS was the only one with the 3.8, I had 2, 3.1's a 95 and a 99 they both got over 30 MPG. and ran great with high miles.

briefboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well if it's around 3K then check out a Mustang SVO, pretty quick, great mileage, handles amazing, and not too bad on insurance :p Or I imagine you could probably get a pretty decent SHO for that price.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
If you want to save money on fuel stay away from the 3.8 find something with a 3.1 or the 3.4 they are much more fuel efficent and longer lasting engines.

Look into a monte carlo nice cars cheap to drive, and they don't look like your driving your fathers car, and they very reliable and came with all three of those engines the SS was the only one with the 3.8, I had 2, 3.1's a 95 and a 99 they both got over 30 MPG. and ran great with high miles.

You didn't mentioni the SHO, dick :p

B pm me your numberz, I lost em hen My phone died.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
  4. Private
Well if it's around 3K then check out a Mustang SVO, pretty quick, great mileage, handles amazing, and not too bad on insurance :p Or I imagine you could probably get a pretty decent SHO for that price.

Its like turboz yo!

YOu can get a damn nice SHO for 3K.

Its going to be one of the fastest cheapest insured cars you can get, comfortable, fast, manual and realiable if the maintnance is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.