Canada Post discretion (help from my fellow Canadians?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timidlythinking

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
hi everybody,

i have a question escpecially for canadians who order online. i know most places ship discreetly etc. but my problem is that i live with parents still and i want to be as private as possible.

last time (which was also the first time) i ordered online, it was from agecomfort, which i asked NOT to be safe dropped by Canada Post. so i just carefully watched my email for shipping updates and visited the post office almost daily after school (its very close) until the package arrived. i walked home with it (a bit akward cause it was a big box but it worked out okay) and hid it and i thought i was good to go.

until like three days later my mom was all like "hey we have mail". the thing is, even though i asked that canada post be as discreet as possible and not ship to my house, they still left a note on our door when my diapers arrived saying "you have a package waiting". i wrote it off that time by telling my mom it was video game stuff and that i picked it up already and walked home with it but i dont want this to happen again because it was a pretty close call for me IMO.

so, canadians, do you know how i can avoid this? the problem is that we're not talking about seller discretion here.. we're talking about canada post, and i dont know their terminology enough to ask them how to ship my order.

thanks guys!

ps
btw i'm trying to decide between spending $50 on bambinos from B4NS or about $60-65 on cloth diapers from babykins (ive never tried either). thoughts? definitely cant do both.

MolicareMan

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Private
I don't know how old you are, or what the laws are in Canada, but I think there are UPS Stores up in the great north... If you're able to, rent a mailbox (like $100 a year or so) and have your packages shipped there.

timidlythinking

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
Yeah, that's a bit much. i'm looking more at just making sure that no one knows i had anything shipped to the house. but thanks for the suggestion

RetrieverPup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Have it shipped to a UPS store, they will sign for it and hold it for $5+tax

Basically the shipping address you provide will look like this.

John Doe
C/O UPS Store #1
1234 Any Street
Anytown, Province
T2D-2H8

MolicareMan

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Private

John Doe
C/O UPS Store #1
1234 Any Street
Anytown, Province
T2D-2H8

I used to work at a UPS Store and I have a word of caution on this. While most store owners/managers will allow the holding of packages for non-mailbox holders for a small fee, if you have not contacted them and explicitly discussed said service, the package will likely be refused as they weren't expecting it.

Blacksmith

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover

John Doe
C/O UPS Store #1
1234 Any Street
Anytown, Province
T2D-2H8
My local UPS store it is $3 no tax and they need your phone number on the package or let them know it is coming and give them your name and number.

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
My local UPS store it is $3 no tax and they need your phone number on the package or let them know it is coming and give them your name and number.

Oddly enough I contacted UPS about this exact service and their reply said that they have to attempt delivery at least once before you can request a pickup at a store. Perhaps they didnt understand what I was asking, but thats the reply I got.

Canada Post hardly ever fully reads the shipping labels anyways. They get the general address and go from there. I have gotten mail for the apartment upstairs and vice-versa. (They are on different sides of the house) On my order from Age Comfort they actually left it upstairs because someone happened to be home when they came around.

Willy81

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
You can ask to Age Comfort to "Card for pickup". Canada Post will leave you a call for to pick up at Post Office directly.

totters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
make sure to let age comfort know not to put you on their mailing list as well. You might end up with a catalog in the mail that you weren't expecting.

Blacksmith

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
make sure to let age comfort know not to put you on their mailing list as well. You might end up with a catalog in the mail that you weren't expecting.

yup I forgot to do that and they sent them to my billing address which is my parents address.
had to explain that one off as some how they got my address somewere, just glad they didn't send one of just diapers.

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Ship it Post Restant. They'll hold it for you, and shouldn't deliver the notification via snail mail. Just check with the company you're buying from, it's usually quite simple.

Quysea

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
You need to call the local UPS Store and not the 1-800-PICK-UPS number. Stores are usually franchised and make their own rules, and will accept packages from other shippers when you do this (Canada Post).

- - - Updated - - -

A possible excuse is that they also own Busy Bee Tools, and it may be easier to explain that you bought tools and Age Comfort got your address that way.

I have received Age Comfort packages packed in boxes labelled "tools" before, the obviously recycle at the warehouse.

pd8615

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
If in Canada, one might want to search "brokerage fees" if thinking UPS is a good idea.

For example:

Way to avoid outrageous UPS/FedEX brokerage fees ! - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Fedex is better than UPS but Canada Post will charge a fraction of UPS.

I had a twenty dollar item cost me that much in brokerage, on top of shipping cost! Ouch!

Canada Post has left parcels on my doorstep when I was in a house. Easy way around this is to ask sender to put 'signature required' on the package. That way they can't leave it on the doorstep or hand it over to anyone else.

Then there is the customs declaration. Sellers have to put a description of what is in the package. When I sold on ebay I would call things like diaper shirts 'clothing' and diapers 'medical products'. If seller is not ABDL aware I would ask how they word the customs declaration unless you want to pick up a package stating 'Adult Diapers' in a busy post office :) As medical products are tax / duty exempt in many countries, some buyers want an exact description to avoid GST and duty (Canada). As an eBay seller I had the odd person actually ask me to put a detailed description for this reason.

casey1986

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Are you close to the border? I live very close to the border and I order from american websites and send it to places like "ship happens" other places where you can use there address and its right across the border...and it is dirt cheap....only if your close to the border i guess.....

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Canada Post has left parcels on my doorstep when I was in a house. Easy way around this is to ask sender to put 'signature required' on the package. That way they can't leave it on the doorstep or hand it over to anyone else.

This is not 100 percent exact. Yes they are required to get a signature, but it doesn't have to be the one of the person who the package is for. Here anyways the signature is anyone who signs and takes responsibility off of Canada Posts hands. I have had things delivered requiring a signature and they have always taken it upstairs if I wasn't home and had them sign for it and at my office at work I sign for things all the time through Canada Post that are always addressed to someone else in said office.

The sad thing is with Canada Post is they hardly read the shipping labels completely and even then they dont do what it says. And they wonder why no one wants to deal with them and they are supposedly losing money.

babybobby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
yup I forgot to do that and they sent them to my billing address which is my parents address.
had to explain that one off as some how they got my address somewere, just glad they didn't send one of just diapers.
Ha! This has happened to me. I ordered a sample from HDIS way back in the day, and they sent a catalog of incontinence stuff addressed to me! Count yourself lucky!

P

PyjamaBaby

I got a delivery from agecomfort today. The box was labelled tools, so that was fine.

I just find Canada Post don't deliver when they say. On the app or the website it says the standard delivery date and this never seems to happen, then they have an expected delivery date and the deliveries always seem to be between 1-5 days after that date, even in the GTA.

The boxes from agecomfort do say don't dropbox, but they don't require a signature and the Canada Post delivery man was ready to leave mine on the doorstep. The app is good for telling you when it is out for delivery if you can get home soon after, but if not the boxes are at least discrete.

I hadn't thought of the catalogue though. That could be interesting...

edward321

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
hi everybody,u

i have a question especiallyy for canadians who order online. i know most places ship discreetly etc. but my problem is that i live with parents still and i want to be as private as possible.

last time (which was also the first time) i ordered online, it was from agecomfort, which i asked NOT to be safe dropped by Canada Post. so i just carefully watched my email for shipping updates and visited the post office almost daily after school (its very close) until the package arrived. i walked home with it (a bit akward cause it was a big box but it worked out okay) and hid it and i thought i was good to go.

until like three days later my mom was all like "hey we have mail". the thing is, even though i asked that canada post be as discreet as possible and not ship to my house, they still left a note on our door when my diapers arrived saying "you have a package waiting". i wrote it off that time by telling my mom it was video game stuff and that i picked it up already and walked home with it but i dont want this to happen again because it was a pretty close call for me IMO.

so, canadians, do you know how i can avoid this? the problem is that we're not talking about seller discretion here.. we're talking about canada post, and i dont know their terminology enough to ask them how to ship my order.

thanks guys!

ps
btw i'm trying to decide between spending $50 on bambinos from B4NS or about $60-65 on cloth diapers from babykins (ive never tried either). thoughts? definitely cant do both.

You can also make a request at the post office that if a package arrives that only you are to be the only allowed to pick it up. It's your mail thus your property. Parents or not post office would take your request. I've done it

Newfontherun

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover

Seconded. Email them to remove you from the list. Though it's not just a diaper catalog, there's a bunch of other stuff in it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.