Can we get rid of one of the "New Posts" indicators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
  1. Private
There's two of them. They're redundant and the numbers don't even match for whatever reason, and the one on the lower toolbar causes every browser I know of to bleed off to the right or sidescroll at 1024x768.

--Danny :ninja:

Last edited:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
I notice this too. It seems that the one on the toolbar shows *all* new posts, whereas the one near your PM inbox shows posts that *you* can see.

Either way, it is confusing. We could get rid of one.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The green is the total, the one under your name gets lower as you view the posts...I prefer the green one, so I'd rather keep that if one were to be removed

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I notice this too. It seems that the one on the toolbar shows *all* new posts, whereas the one near your PM inbox shows posts that *you* can see.

Either way, it is confusing. We could get rid of one.

What's the difference? I still don't get it. Can someone please clarify what is what? :educate:

Either way, I agree with Danny. One of the two should go.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
What's the difference? I still don't get it. Can someone please clarify what is what? :educate:

Either way, I agree with Danny. One of the two should go.

He means it shows posts from the forums you can view Plus other forums such as moderators forum. Or for a regular it shows vip.

Other than that i like the one by pms much better than the green one.

Role
  1. Private
## Unread Posts since your last visit.
Pretty self-explanatory, tells you how many unread posts are on the forum since your last visit, or since you last used the "Mark Forums Read" feature.

Same thing really, only it details both how many new post in how many different threads. I've noticed that this one is a bit glitchy as it sometimes doesn't display correctly.

Nonetheless, lately I've just been manually going through forum-by-forum and clicking on the threads I want to read. I'm all for lists, but I hate really long ones, and since this site is growing rapidly, I always sign onto the site with at least 2 pages of new posts - I don't really like that.

Besides, that way I can check the forums I actually want to view and don't have non-interest forums in my search results.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I don't care what we get rid of on that bottom scroll bar, but ever since RJ put the blog drop down menu, there is a horizontal scroll bar that drives me nuts.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
:eek: I thought the forum was broken today when I couldn't find my trusty "New posts"-button. It's the way I browse the forum, as I generally look at the lists of threads with new posts and then open them in a new tab each. Otherwise, If I had to go through each forum and subforum separately, I'd be spending a lot of time just clicking back and forth to match certain posts with other posts (e.g. Requests forum posts with other messages), while I wouldn't even bother looking at posts in the Fun&Games, Stories or Computer forums without the list of new threads.

So I'm all in favor of bringing the button back. By all means, erase the counter that tells you how many threads are unread if people are too worried about its inaccuracy. A simple "New Posts"-button should do the trick.

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Aww, now I have to learn how to press another button.

The Unread Post button is way too small a target, I like just throwing the cursor up there and clicking... it was automatic... I bet I hit Search so many times this month... *Old man grumbles*...

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I already complained about it in the chat last night...I'm glad I'm not the only one who used it though

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I preferred the big green one, too... Never used the upper one. And the way it is now, the Quick Links menu no longer pops up in the right place, which isn't a big deal, but bugs me in an OCD way.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I feel that the gaps could easily be shortened to fit in the New Post button.

I mean look at this picture! They can accommodate several elephants!

Now don't you say that the green New Post button was bigger than four, count them, FOUR elephants! :p

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Well that includes sent messages too, so for all you know I could have just been ogling all the girls, or sending lots of people pictures of elephants and dingos without reply... :(

:p

tom

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I found the old button quite useful I have to say, but I can get use to the smaller one, just means I have to use my eyes more.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I too used the other one :p. It does look less cluttered this way, but when it first happened I went to go to the Admin forum to make a thread asking about it. But then I found this one first. Eh, I'll get used to it.

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have only clicked on the new posts once because I think this was BS in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.