can autism and autonomic neuropathy cause bed wetting?

ShadowFox141

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
this might be a odd post but all the way up to the age of 16 i had bed wetting and some daytime issues and then went away but 3-4 months ago they came back and since then been dealing with it i am seeing doctors for it but someone did mention it could be due to my autism or Autonomic neuropathy has anyone with one of them have the same issues?

Reactions: sport1
DanielW said:
I'm autistic and have IC and sensory issues, so I'd say yes - one or the other or both could certainly cause you issues. According to "Dr. Google", Autonomic Neuropathy definitely has an affect on Bowel and Bladder emptying too.
i did some research on autism and Autonomic neuropathy and found out it might be from that now im wondering why it came back.

Both can yes, I think Autonomic neuropathy can basically b defined by that as a symptom in fact. I am autistic and it leads to many of my attitudes that play into ABDL. I am not embraced by a lot of stuff I should be and do just not care if I wet, this leads to me going back to sleep rather than going to the restroom so as not to wet the bed

Reactions: ShadowFox141
ASD (autism ) & other NP diagnosis shush as for example ADHD ( I have SEVERE on both) IC (both ways & day and or night ) are one of the well known co morbids so yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missy1 said:
ASD (autism ) & other NP diagnosis shush as for example ADHD ( I have SEVERE on both) IC (both ways & day and or night ) are one of the well known co morbids so yes.
its just strange it came back the way it did im worried it will get worse

ShadowFox141 said:
its just strange it came back the way it did im worried it will get worse

I dont wont to scare you BUT the risk is definetly there (it did to me ) so what i would suggest is you let the docs check you up and go from there.

Missy1 said:
I dont wont to scare you BUT the risk is definetly there (it did to me ) so what i would suggest is you let the docs check you up and go from there.
alright yeah im going to the docs to get test but i talked to my mother she said the same thing it might be because of the autism and my autoimmune disease stuff

Reactions: Deleted member 44276
Youre making the right choice . (y)

Missy1 said:
Youre making the right choice . (y)
yeah thanks for the talk im glad there is a support community so im not alone

Reactions: sport1 and Deleted member 44276
Youre very welcome . And to make this clear in my case i had pretty much all odds against me as i have multiple NP diagnosis and gazilion co morbids to those so you cant nor should you compare my history with this to yours . & also not all get this but as i said it is a well known co morbid.

You can't compare to anyone else.I never knew that I was autistic till way late in life people given the yes answer but also have prostate problems.

Reactions: Racingmatt550, ShadowFox141 and Deleted member 44276
so, i have too many issues to list...

but, i have sensory issues, and if i wasnt so old, id be on the autism spectrum on the mild side.

i dont think the autism would be much of a factor, more the sensory side of things.

my latest issues with autonomic brain damage hasnt really effected my ic at all...just my ability to stay upright...

ive had nerve issues since a kid, and never been really dry at night, daytime if i schedule bathroom breaks i could do ok, but that was a long time ago, and further neropathy accidents and spinal damage hasnt helped.

just my 2cents

Bigbabybret said:
so, i have too many issues to list...

but, i have sensory issues, and if i wasnt so old, id be on the autism spectrum on the mild side.

i dont think the autism would be much of a factor, more the sensory side of things.

my latest issues with autonomic brain damage hasnt really effected my ic at all...just my ability to stay upright...

ive had nerve issues since a kid, and never been really dry at night, daytime if i schedule bathroom breaks i could do ok, but that was a long time ago, and further neropathy accidents and spinal damage hasnt helped.

just my 2cents
With my autism and dd always a problem at night and up and down in the day time.

Autonomic neutropathy certainly can cause it. My son had that from his diabetes and he was incontinent as a result.

Autism isn't much going to be a provoker of sleep wetting. It might lead to other issues that aggravated it though. Sensory issues that cause you to hold it at times may increase the chances of accidents later, for example.

yes agree...

i feel that autonomic issues can effect ic...it hasnt in my case caused anything more than the lack of being able to get to the bathroom more of a challenge...which does effect my ability to make the toilet, but isn't directly effecting my underlying ic issues.

i feel that sensory issues can effect ic...and has in my case...not able to feel when you need the bathroom causes major issues.

i dont see autism itself effecting ic...but the other issues that usually surround autism do and can...but in and of itself i dont feel autism is a major component of ic...

Seems to me that nerve damage is the leading cause, and as a result the lesser forms of the general nerve damage, sensory issues, to a lesser degree can effect ic...

There is NO one cause of anything in this life, and i can only state my take personally and what i've ive read/learned over the last 4 decades of this issue.

Bottom line my take is:
The biggest issues will be focused around nerve issues, and the more severe the issue and how direct it is associated with the nerves in that area will be more common and cause more issues.

Someone could become IC from pet dander, but it would be a rather miniscule percentage.

Now I have spinal damage from infection as a kid, and have from that been never dry at night, daytime is a challenge...later in life have had some other issues that may make it a bit worse, but nothing to the degree of the original issue.
sure with being in a wheelchair makes it harder to make the bathroom easily and quickly and causes the already dire need to become near impossible when out of the house.

So as i said, my 2 cents (with inflation that's not worth much).

Bigbabybret said:
yes agree...

i feel that autonomic issues can effect ic...it hasnt in my case caused anything more than the lack of being able to get to the bathroom more of a challenge...which does effect my ability to make the toilet, but isn't directly effecting my underlying ic issues.

i feel that sensory issues can effect ic...and has in my case...not able to feel when you need the bathroom causes major issues.

i dont see autism itself effecting ic...but the other issues that usually surround autism do and can...but in and of itself i dont feel autism is a major component of ic...

Seems to me that nerve damage is the leading cause, and as a result the lesser forms of the general nerve damage, sensory issues, to a lesser degree can effect ic...

There is NO one cause of anything in this life, and i can only state my take personally and what i've ive read/learned over the last 4 decades of this issue.

Bottom line my take is:
The biggest issues will be focused around nerve issues, and the more severe the issue and how direct it is associated with the nerves in that area will be more common and cause more issues.

Someone could become IC from pet dander, but it would be a rather miniscule percentage.

Now I have spinal damage from infection as a kid, and have from that been never dry at night, daytime is a challenge...later in life have had some other issues that may make it a bit worse, but nothing to the degree of the original issue.
sure with being in a wheelchair makes it harder to make the bathroom easily and quickly and causes the already dire need to become near impossible when out of the house.

So as i said, my 2 cents (with inflation that's not worth much).
I agree with you and your 2cents is worth 1cent in todays market.

DanielW said:
I'm autistic and have IC and sensory issues.
Same here, but beyond a few nights of bedwetting and a few daytime accidents as a kid, I've been predominantly dry, my whole life.

Lucky.

Reactions: Sidewinder
I've don't know if this counts but I'm autistic and i have OAB which ive had all my life, throughout childhood, i didn't wear nappies but I kept wetting myself all the time to the point where I actually dried my pants on the radiator (i put my bum on the radiator!). I also apparently didn't think that's my pants would stink after I weed in them for some reason!

My bladder issue is that especially in the morning, I will go from an empty bladder to bursting for the toilet in about 20-30 minutes which is VERY uncomfortable for me

This could be due to autistic people having more sensory issues but mine could be medical, I also find I can't stand loud noises too.

I've got a funny story, my dad would always spend ages in the bathroom so one day, I got a bin for my bedroom with a lid (was an old food bin) for paper waste, do. one day after playing the sims , I was playing a family with toddlers in and I got an idea to use the bin as a potty so I did, (even #2) and I just closed the lid and forgot about it. I just figured that I no longer have to be dying for the toilet as I now had a potty! Long story short my dad came into my bedroom for some reason and commented that it stunk, so he asked me what it was and started searching around my bedroom and then he opened the lid! I died practically when he did! (I was perhaps around 8-10 years old at the time), he was mad! Needless to say, I no longer had bins in my room from then on, he laughs about it now though!

I used to always growing up, sit on my heels because I was always needing the toilet and somebody was in the bathroom (my dad) and I would eventually get up and just wet myself, I even went to the stage where I would just automatically sit on my heels when I needed the toilet regardless whether or not anybody was in the bathroom, so I kept having accidents and getting bladder infections, I was on pills growing up and kept having to see my paediatrician.

Reactions: ShadowFox141
Back