• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Building a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I heard it was a good thing, that it was easier to upgrade later and that it could save me money, so I decided a while ago that I want to build my own desktop computer. I don't plan on doing this soon, since my current budget is limited to $350, and I want to be able to play modern games with decent FPS. I could probably sell my old DS games now that I have a flash cart and get a hundred or so dollars, I guess.

But either way, I want to know what is necessary to buy to make a working computer, with the Internet and crap. I don't have a monitor or a keyboard (I do have a mouse, though). It would be nice if it cost me less than, say, $500, but I know it's nearly impossible to make a "gaming" computer at that price. I can upgrade it later if I need to anyway.

I've already been recommended some parts by another guy, but Newegg makes me pay an intolerable price for shipping and handling. There's no case in the list since it was out of stock when I emailed it. It costs less than $450 without the monitor (this was the cheapest on the site). Shipping and handling, however, cost more than a hundred bucks, which I found unacceptable.
general pastebin - Anonymous - post number 1293978

Also, I'm in Canada. The only places I can think of right now that sell parts in here are TigerDirect and Newegg.

Role
Private
Also, I'm in Canada.
Well there's your problem!

Haha! Nah, joking joking... But for $350 you might be able to get the most basic of systems, certainly not one that's high performance. But hey, you've no problem with upgrading. :)

IIRC you don't have much in the way of income, do you? I would suggest waiting it out a big and getting a decent system in one go, but I guess that's not a doable option.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Even the most basic of systems would at least be able to play Half-Life correctly, no? :x
I'm rather tired of having to put my laptop in a specific position so it doesn't overheat or slow down horribly when playing games from the last decade.

But yes, as I said, I don't actually plan on buying one very soon, I'd rather find a job in some fast food place or in some obscure store to get some money before buying parts.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Also, I'm in Canada.

[Edit] Okay, the same stuff is available here, but it's 30% more expensive. So meh.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Okay? TigerDirect ships to Canada, right?

EDIT: oh, the CAD/USD difference. Eep.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Every place based in the US makes me pay an unreasonable extra just because I'm a few kilometers across the border (literally). It's ridiculous. I'm not even sure if it would actually be cheaper than buying a pre-built computer from a store. It went up from fifty-five to seventy-seven bucks. And it doesn't even include shipping, taxes and all, does it?

How about, um...
http://www.directcanada.com/
http://www.ncix.com/
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
DotDotDot: A Pentium 4 Hyper-Threaded (3GHz) has done marvelous at gaming. There are even some aspects that are better about it than it would a Core 2 Duo.

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think the only difference between the penitum dual core above and a core 2 is the cache size. I'm not really up on my hardware.

My old computer was limited by the AGP, the Pentium 4 2.8 handled everything I threw at it fine ... except for that one time the power supply went bad.

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Dual Core Exxxx (Core 2 Duo) are great for a budget system right now. Memory is cheap and you get good graphics cards (9800GTX / HD4850) at low cost, too.
Should fit into your limit and will be a decent gaming PC for anything you can get at the moment (1920x1200 in UT3 at full detail runs great on those graphics cards for example)

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I think the only difference between the penitum dual core above and a core 2 is the cache size. I'm not really up on my hardware.
The manufacturing process (can vary from 95nm to 45nm on 775 processors), Cache sizes, front side bus speeds are all variable between different-aged processors.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
IF I were in your shoes, Even a cheap Dual core will do. 2GB of Ram is more than enough, however if it's only $x more for 4GB, got for it! But splash most of your money of a graphics card. Everything else, doesn't matter. Rob them from another system :p. I've been using the same pc case for what? 6-7 years? It has severed me well.

Also, get a nice PSU. The cheap ones are what you get for your money. You wouldn't pay for a tuned sportcar and give it dirty petrol!? You give it premium stuff to get that housepower you bought it for.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I would go for a quad core CPU if its for gaming, at least if you want GTA4 anyways. That stupid game really really want's quad cores only. <_>

As for a GPU I would go for a 4850, or two of them if you want to crossfire.

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Hm GTA IV would be an example where quads are actually better. But Qxxxx are considerably more expensive than Exxxx processors (model number), so if he primarily needs a cheap PC 2 cores offer far more GHz for less money. Which you need if the application doesnt make use of all the cores.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If you want to go somewhere, I do recommend Infonec. I bought my last set of desktop parts from them. The prices are about as good as you can get anywhere. Although, only if you have a store nearby and can pick them up, like I can.

Okay? TigerDirect ships to Canada, right?
Only tigerdirect.ca sells in Canada, and they set their prices indepenantly from tigerdirect.com.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh, alright, thanks for all the advice, I guess I'll just browse Infonec and see if there's anything not too expensive that I could get by next year.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
DotDotDot: A Pentium 4 Hyper-Threaded (3GHz) has done marvelous at gaming. There are even some aspects that are better about it than it would a Core 2 Duo.
That's my current CPU... I've had it forever, but it still performs pretty well, partly because I have a decent video card and 2 gigs of ram. It still plays the latest games and stuff.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Yeah, the only complaints I have about it is that it's only 32-bit. It's still decent everywhere else though, although it's not that great.

S

Secret

I have a few questions about this because I am thinking of upgrading from my old "Compaq Presario 5423US" with these specs:laugh:

# Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4
# Number of Processors: 1
# RAM: 512 MB
# RAM Type: SDRAM
# Hard Drive: 80 GB
# Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

How much of a difference would this be from my old desktop?

Would I be able to play TF2 on this well?

I would still need a DVD/CD drive right?

Can I substitute the case for something like this Power Up 5511 Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply TC3J-4032 P at TigerDirect.com?

Would I need to purchase a sound card as well?

Is my current computer a piece of crap :damnpc:?

Status
Not open for further replies.