Bringing up *B/DLism with Psychologist..

Status
Not open for further replies.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've been considering this for awhile, but I want to know what you guys would do.

I have a Psychologist I see every now and then. I've known him since I was at least 11 or 12, which is when I first became his patient.

Recently though, I've been wanting to tell SOMEBODY about me being a DL. And what better a person to tell than your Psychologist.

What I want to know is have any of you thought the same thing, or even built up the guts and talked about it to your Psychologist (granted you have one)

I know if I brought it up he wouldn't do something like laugh or make fun of me, but even knowing that I am still scared out of my mind.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It depends on the psychologist...Some might see it as some mental disorder, while others will see it as the fetish it is...If you want to tell him, then be prepared for questions he may ask...You may want to print out some articles that show it's not some perverted pedophilia type fetish

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
He is a very understanding person (or at least he seems like one) and his specialty in his Profession is dealing with children and adults who were victims of child abuse, so I'm sure he'd try and find a correlation between the two.

I just can't understand why it's so hard for me to ask.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I just can't understand why it's so hard for me to ask.
Because it's probably one of your deepest and darkest secrets...And the first time telling someone is the worst...I remember doing it, and it was online...This will be in person...Now I don't want to make you feel more nervous than you probably are, but I can't even imagine how nervous you are...

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well at the moment I'm not that nervous, but the last few times I've seen him I was extremely nervous. I couldn't even get the guts to tell him.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
My psychologist(PhD..not a therapist) was very interested in what i had to say when I told him.. We discussed and analyzed the vagaries of the fetish. All in all the session ended with him telling me "I am glad you decided to tell me this"

i think if you get a negative response, in effect telling you that you have major problems... go see someone else.

so that's 4/4 positive responses i have gotten from people I have told. -1 against negativity!

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I have done a million psychologist thread before because I have had lots of expeirance with different ones when I was a teen. If you wish to see my detailed views on them just look for other recent threads about telling a psychologist. Just to make it short and sweet, here are some things to acknowledge and consider before you tell him...

-Just because you have known him for like 6 years, does not mean he will understand at any amount at all, just means he will be more willing to listen to what you have to say before he responds with his accepting response or or unaccepting response.

-All psychologists are different, it depends on their professional level (bachelors, masters, or doctors), past patient expeirances, and most of all personality on how he will react

-Be aware he could act badly by trying to "cure" you, in that case RUN AS FAST YOU CAN TO A NEW PSYCHOLOGIST! Specially if this cure involves medicine or hypnosis (which psychologists tried on me in the past)

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
its funny...not to be gross or whatever. My mothers gynecologist kinda always asks about family issues. She told him that I was going to a psychologist for treatment. The first thing he told her was to absolutely avoid anyone who DID NOT have a PhD in Psychology. His reasoning was that practically anyone can become a certified therapist...which requires very little training in order to be certified.

Since I see both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, I always like to have them evaulate what the other one does....kinda like checks and balances

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well from his personality, he seems very accepting.
I'm pretty sure I've told him some darker secrets before in my life, but I can't remember what they were.

Also he isn't the type that can prescribe me medication and from how he's been telling me to deal with depression and stress, I highly doubt he is into hypnosis.

Thank you for the warning though.

Edit: Just looked into my Psychologist's background, and apparently he specializes in Anger Management and not Child Abuse like I thought.

I might not tell him after all..

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
@miles

they say.. if you don't click immediately with your psych ... find another.

The first time I went to one.... I hadn't but just sat down, and the lady goes, "were you abused as a child"???...I got up and walked out.

FTW!!!

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I click with him.
Me and him are pretty much on the same page and I can spill myself out to him.
But I don't think he's the type of Therapist to disclose something like this to.
lol.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
ah.. true..

I like to keep the amount of people that know about me, countable on two hands.

Dark Bringer

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Go for it!! The first person I ever told was this past summer and it was my therapist. She was fine with it. I told my other psychiatrist recently and he said nonchalantly said he could handle anything. He has a big book with DSM-IV on the spine in his office which highly supports that claim.
1. Dealing with difficult issues like this is their job.

2. If they react badly, no big deal. They are bound by confidentiality unless they have reason to believe you would harm yourself or others.

3. You can always go to someone else and you don't have to worry about losing them like you could a friend.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
He has a big book with DSM-IV on the spine in his office which highly supports that claim.
Isn't that the book that has a list of all mental disorders? I personally wouldn't call it a mental disorder, but at least your psychiatrist is fine with it

Blake

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I got lucky i saw a psych who had dealt with ppl who had infantalist interests soo he was understanding and everything worked out for me.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, I asked my Grandpa and he confirmed I started seeing him for when I had anger problems a years ago (before I was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder)

I probably won't bring it up with him, just too much of a risk, plus I don't want to stop seeing him either because

1) I've seen him for years. He's been my Psychologist for so long that he's seen my grow up somewhat.

2) He's a really nice guy.

3) I don't think I'd have to heart to tell him "Well if you can't accept me for wearing diapers then I'll be seeing a new therapist" because I've known him for too long, and he has given me great advice for ways to deal with my Anger, depression, and anxiety.

Thanks for the suggestions though, but I've made up my mind.

tom

Role
Diaper Lover
I told my therapist, and it went pretty well, well, very well actually, she's very accepting, and in fact approves of it. I have a good relationship with mine, and that helped a lot. But then the reason I brought the subject up was becuase it was related to something else, and I thought bringing it up might help to explain some other things, which it has. If it wasn't for that reason, I would've see no reason to bring it up, because it can induce some uncomfortable moments.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
its funny...not to be gross or whatever. My mothers gynecologist kinda always asks about family issues. She told him that I was going to a psychologist for treatment. The first thing he told her was to absolutely avoid anyone who DID NOT have a PhD in Psychology. His reasoning was that practically anyone can become a certified therapist...which requires very little training in order to be certified.

Since I see both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, I always like to have them evaulate what the other one does....kinda like checks and balances
That gyno was right! Those people should be avoided, their not really going to benefit you in any way 99% of the time.

That is a good idea to have both check eachother, in fact their SUPPOSE to all the time when someone is seeing both, but that does not always happen.

3) I don't think I'd have to heart to tell him "Well if you can't accept me for wearing diapers then I'll be seeing a new therapist" because I've known him for too long, and he has given me great advice for ways to deal with my Anger, depression, and anxiety.

Thanks for the suggestions though, but I've made up my mind.
I hope you stay happy with your decision, but I do understand why you did not tell him, in fear of ruining your close bond with him. Except think of it this way....if you hide it from everyone in fear of rejection.....well to me I could not do that....I would be sooo depressed and lonley. So I would not suggest hiding it from everyone. It is always good to have a person or two that you can talk to about it, anytime you need to.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I understand as well, Miles. When my mom took me to the psychologist, she took me there in part for that reason and so I had to discuss it with him. It was very embarrassing. He told me I'd probably out grow it, and moved on to a much more serious subject. However, I pm another member on our site, and his psychologist wants to cure him of it, or so it seems. He of course doesn't want to be cured because it brings him comfort. At this point, I don't want to be cured of it either, for the same reason.

I think that since you have been seeing your psychologist since you were 12, you have a bond with him, and yes, it would be very difficult to tell him; like telling a favorite family member. You have to do that which you are comfortable. It's hard to say what he would do or say, or what his take would be on it. Probably it would be accepting, but who knows. So I think you are the only one who can make this decission.

Status
Not open for further replies.