• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Born in a different time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Does anyone here think that they were born in the worng era? I think I should have been born aorund like 1850 and lived untill 1947. I wanted to experience the industrial rev in America and Imperialism, plus the Meiji Restoration.

Anyone else think this way? If so state the year span and why.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't know about being born in the wrong era, but there are time periods that I would love to visit. The 20's before the Depression, the 60's-70's, some other periods...

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I hear this is a very common feeling.

Personally I don't understand it at all. I think I was born exactly when I should have been.

I'd like to be in the most forward time period there is... which is in the here and now.

S

secretdl26

I kind of feel like I should have been born around 1980. I don't know why but I feel like I would be more comfortable with who I am, my views, attitudes, hobbies, choice of music/books/etc., if I were ten years older.

Last edited by a moderator:

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Oh come now, you folks are boring...choosing the past...nonsense.

I was born in the wrong time; I should've been been born in Star Trek times. I think I'd have made a fine....well, I'm not terribly adept at math...

They'd have found a place for me on a starship. I don't know what position. That is where my strengths and talents are. But here, in our pre-space society, I'm just some guy who doesn't fit.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Like the guy above me, I wish I had been born in the early 80's. Being a teenager during the 90's must have been awesome.

Oh come now, you folks are boring...choosing the past...nonsense.

I was born in the wrong time; I should've been been born in Star Trek times. I think I'd have made a fine....well, I'm not terribly adept at math...

They'd have found a place for me on a starship. I don't know what position. That is where my strengths and talents are. But here, in our pre-space society, I'm just some guy who doesn't fit.
Custodial Engineer? At least it sounds exciting.

M

Mako

I think theres something to this, I gotta ditto wishing I was born in the early 80's maybe even late 70's. How awesome would it be, to be 7 and have the NES released. A lot of my current tastes tend to gravitate towards the things in the 90's I was too young to know about.

Role
Private
I kind of feel like I should have been born around 1980. I don't know why but I feel like I would be more comfortable with who I am, my views, attitudes, hobbies, choice of music/books/etc., if I were ten years older.
Like the guy above me, I wish I had been born in the early 80's. Being a teenager during the 90's must have been awesome.

Custodial Engineer? At least it sounds exciting.
I think theres something to this, I gotta ditto wishing I was born in the early 80's maybe even late 70's. How awesome would it be, to be 7 and have the NES released. A lot of my current tastes tend to gravitate towards the things in the 90's I was too young to know about.
Dorks.

Being a teenager during the 90s was awful. All the music that was reasonable was displaced by awful noise in 1990-1991. Didn't really "recover" until about 1995, and then 1997-1998 saw the Boy/Girl-Band revival.

The 90s - in this country, at least - marked the adoption and acceptance of Jive (now called "Ebonics") and the Political Correctness movement.

Being born and around in the times spelled out above has the unfortunate side-effect of being around long enough to know just what we've abdicated more recently.

I suspect that I myself would have liked either 1920s Germany as a graduate student (and out before 29), or 1950s USA as same. I think, though, that the most prosperous and promising time to be born in recent memory would have been 1948-1955.

... and now it's Dogboy's or Pramrider's turn to tell me that I'm a dork for wanting to be born in 1948-1955. ;)

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I was a teenager in the 90s. It was ok. At the time, I was into music written by folks who were either long gone, or Dave Brubeck. I should perhaps google to make sure he's still around. Not sure. The 90s had no noticeable influence over that music. I wasn't one of the cool kids, and I chose clothing based on how they'd hold up in the woods--if there were big trends/changes in the 90s, they were lost on me.

All I can think of now is: Suuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrge!

I hated those commercials...

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I feel I was born in the right time, but I would have preferred to have been born in the future. like 3000 AD
That just seems like a time I would more enjoy, I just hope humanity isn't eaten by space slugs by then.

S

secretdl26

Being a teenager during the 90s was awful. All the music that was reasonable was displaced by awful noise in 1990-1991. Didn't really "recover" until about 1995, and then 1997-1998 saw the Boy/Girl-Band revival.
Not into that kind of 90s music. I wanted to be there for the coming of age time during which the good underground music (innocuously called "indie") was just starting to poke through the crap of the po(o)p resurgence.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Ehhh....

I started getting into that kind of music when 'indie' started becoming cool. I'm not entirely certain, but I think that's about when 'emo', then 'screamo' appeared. And that just wrecked everything.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Man, you should have been a baby boomer. Then you would have experienced the sixties as a hippie as I did. As a kid, I was surrounded by old hot rods and do-wap. I would hitch a ride with a teen and cruise in a '50 Ford Hot Rod, playing one of those great old groups like the Crest's "Sixteen Candles". Then came the sixties and I grew my hair long and wore my pants tight, all while living on the beach. We were the first, playing Clapton, Hendrix and Lead Zeplin, while smoking pot and dropping acid. And then there were the demonstrations, both to get out of Viet Nam, and to integrate schools. It was cool times, man.

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
YES. I should have been born in my parent's generation, aka the baby boomers.

Role
Private
Man, you should have been a baby boomer. Then you would have experienced the sixties as a hippie as I did. As a kid, I was surrounded by old hot rods and do-wap. I would hitch a ride with a teen and cruise in a '50 Ford Hot Rod, playing one of those great old groups like the Crest's "Sixteen Candles". Then came the sixties and I grew my hair long and wore my pants tight, all while living on the beach. We were the first, playing Clapton, Hendrix and Lead Zeplin, while smoking pot and dropping acid. And then there were the demonstrations, both to get out of Viet Nam, and to integrate schools. It was cool times, man.
Drat. You were supposed to tell me how I was wrong and that it was just as bad then. :(

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I've thought about this before and I think it would have been really cool to have been born sometime in the early 70's. I love the technology from that time and it would have been so much fun to grow up when hardware "hacking" was truly that (phone preaking, anyone?).

But... I did enjoy the 90's to some extents - good cartoons, music wasn't the greatest but I never really listened to new music anyway.

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I really should have been a baby boomer. I've always had this intense desire to have been alive and a young adult back in the 60s and 70s. Perfect year would have been somewhere between 1947-1949, because then I could have grown up with the Beatles and the other great musicians of the time. Yeah, to a large extent, it's all about the music of the period, but culturally things seem pretty awesome during this time period too. The fact that young people were actual radical and active during this time period is something that seems very attractive to me. I wish young people still spoke their minds like they did back in this period, because this is the only way that young people can really have a strong impact. Of course, if I was born then, I would be about 60 now, so enough of being nostalgic about a time period I wasn't even alive during.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I shoulud totally and absolutely have been born in the early 90's. Various things made for me not fitting in socially, and the internet (for one) would have made life easier, My real time of life is great - generally speaking - but I was not equipped for that era. *sigh*

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Only good thing about being a teenager in the '90s was NOTHING. Sorry, I didn't have the best time in that era.

I grew up in the '80s and '90s. For me, the era of choice would have to be the 24th Century or something. Sorry, big Trek fan. lol.

WildThing121675

Status
Not open for further replies.