Books into Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
After reading a couple posts in the "The Mist" thread I wanted to open this up. There's nothing better than seeing a commercial for an upcoming movie of a beloved book of yours...until you actually see the movie. Some of them aren't too bad, but I'd say only a select few do a decent job of retelling the story on the movie screen. Which are your guys' favorites? Most hated?

I actually went out and read I Am Legend before seeing the movie, and I thought that the producers did a fair job...they didn't follow the book's story line by any stretch of the imagination, but seeing the movie with prior knowledge of the book's ending made the movie a little better...

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My favorite book-to-movie conversion was The Green Mile. I thought they did a great job of incorporating all of the important parts of the book's plot while choosing not to sacrifice some of its other parts. I really love that movie, and I really love the books!

I think the Harry Potter... movies are considerably awesome -- granted, I know that they're narrowing down the content per movie due to the amount of stuff in the books, but they never cease to keep me entertained and having fun for a few hours!

I believe that they've optioned Conn Iggulden's Emperor books for movies, which I'm really excited about -- I just hope that they do justice to the fun material between the covers!

As for movies based on books, but that sucked? ... There are none that I glaringly remember -- I'll have to think about that!

As for television shows based on books, Dexter is an absolutely amazing television show, but the books are absolutely terrible. It was as if the creator of the show looked at the books and said, "Let's take this shittily-written concept and idea and just do everything with it that should have been done with it the first time it was made!

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Ah how could I have forgotten The Green Mile! Michael Clarke Duncan was awesome in that movie, loved it! Something I really enjoyed as well were the Hannibal Lecter movies. Red Dragon in particular was great. It's some pretty creepy stuff, but the movies were very well done...scared the crap out of me anyway!

I remember being really disappointed in War of the Worlds, but that was a long time ago..

X

xdeadx

The HP series actually are doing a pretty good job save the last two. They are really cutting out some of the details, and all I'm really hoping for is that they either make a REALLY long movie for the 7th book or split it into two. Because that... You just can't skip any parts in it. Those who have read it will know =p

Ehh... the most hated. I actually have to say out of the movies I've seen that were movies before I read the books such as Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hannibal Series, as well as others. But the most I've hated was the Unfortunate Events movie. For one the story line is mixed up. They put the "end" of the first book at the end of all three. Two they cut out so many things. Three they added part of the story that wasn't even in the first three books(which had me confused and I re-read them just for that). Sure it was funny and they did a pretty good job with the parts they did leave in, but overall I hated the movie.

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You know it's funny, I was just thinking about that movie too, the Series of Unfortunate Events movie. Compared to the book it was downright horrible...the ending just.....bleh. I used to love those books too, I would stay up for hours reading them.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer, Private
i have 2 one good one bad.

first off, the golden compas. i read the whole searies twice befor anyone knew about the movie. and the movie followed the book perfectly. it's a great movie

the bad movie is eragon. the book was amazing, and the movie killed it. everything about the movie was horrible, even if you didn't read the book it was bad. everyone who had read the book left the theater crying.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I absolutely hate when they destroy a good book with a movie. The harry potter series comes to mind here. Sometimes it's good if you watch a movie when you haven't read the book, because you don't know what has been cut out from the book or screwed up by the writers. Like Stephen King movies. Every time I've seen the movie when I haven't read the book I've thought it was great, then gone and got the book and it's totally different. The movies they make from his books just dont do them any justice! So one thing to do would be to watch the movie first. But then the thing that sucks about seeing the movie first is that you know how the story is going to go when you read the book. Although sometimes it does enhance the reading pleasure when you're reading and seeing the story happen slightly differently and better than it did on the silver screen.

D

daria7483

Cheaper By the Dozen. The movie basically took the title of this wonderful classic and changed everything. The only resemblance that the two have is that the families both have a dozen kids. It's a damn shame that kids are growing up thinking the movie is like the book.

Stuart Little is another example of this, a great kid's book ruined by a stupid movie, although they at least followed the plot somewhat.

The Harry Potter movies are good, but I wish they didn't have to cut so much out. I'm looking forward to the last book's movie because I've heard it will be in two parts.

Bridge to Terabithia was also a great book and movie. I thought the previews made it look like they'd try to turn it into more of a fantasy story than it is, but they did a great job.

legokid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The Golden Compass was alright until the ending they cut it off from the book but the worst one ever was......... Alex Rider they cut half the book and changed the villains name.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I have to agree with Daria about "Cheaper by the Dozen" it was a good family film...but NOTHING like the book! NOTHING!!!!

Then there was the Lord of the Rings trilogy of films. I was pleasantly surprised that they stayed relatively close to the story lines of the books. Unfortunately they did leave out what I considered an integral part of the books...Tom Bombadil!

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The Lord of the Rings films would have been hard to do exactly like the book, just like the Harry Potter series. I think they did a good job though, the special effects were certainly convincing, and they included the main events. They could have been more clear as to how and why Gandalf died and came back...that's just me being obsessive though. For years and years LotR was my life...

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer, Private
The Golden Compass was alright until the ending they cut it off from the book...
i actually liked the ending of the movie better than the book ending. the movie left you with some closure, but knowing there's more comming. the book left you at the biggest cliff hanger ever. and it's not like they changed what's happening. its just that the 2nd movie is going to start with the ending of the 1st book. it's fine by me.

Titus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Well, I think that Charlie F will agree with me on this one: That the producers who made Fight Club appear in the theatres, did a pretty good job of following the essential story line as outlined in the novel. Still, the book is better in many aspects. The ending of the novel particulary chills the blood... :worshippy: (I saw the movie before I read the novel, mind you.)

(I don't know if Graphic novels count? If so,) V for Vendetta was pretty good translated to the big screen, in my opinion. Atleast the most important parts of it were. What stumbled me though, was that the movie was more centered on the action part of the storyline, and therefore (to me) resembled more a Hollywood blockbuster, than a chilling interpretation of humanity and it's cold and gloomy future, as the graphic novel did in it's turn.

One I hate then, I guess it too would be proper? I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for saying this, but I hate (in the most loveable sense of the word. :eek:) the Lord Of The Rings triology at the big screen.

010Daniel010

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Oh my God how could I forget Fight Club...I think they did a great job on that. They could've gone more in depth on the whole "space monkey" idea, but that would have been a little boring. The way the film was narrated by Edward Norton was a really nice touch, and Brad Pitt was perfect as Tyler Durden.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Well, I think that Charlie F will agree with me on this one: That the producers who made Fight Club appear in the theatres, did a pretty good job of following the essential story line as outlined in the novel. Still, the book is better in many aspects. The ending of the novel particulary chills the blood... :worshippy: (I saw the movie before I read the novel, mind you.)
*Concurs*
I was just about to post the same thing. :p

I really liked the film, but the book is much better. I kind of wish I'd have read the book first, but then that might have made me like the film less... so I dunno.
The book ending is better than the film ending too.

I wish I read more books, so I'd have more to say in this topic. :p

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
One I hate then, I guess it too would be proper? I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for saying this, but I hate (in the most loveable sense of the word. :eek:) the Lord Of The Rings triology at the big screen.
I concur so much! I found the movies to be amazingly boring, but what bothered me the most was the lack of the trilogy's last, what, seventy pages or so? With the return to the Shire and the final battles, and the realization that comes to the hobbits that their little world is truly too small for them anymore! I thought that was the most important part, and a shame that it was left out.

care_a_lot

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I hear that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original movie) was TOTALLY different from what it was supposed to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory being the name of the book. But the recent movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (starring Johnny Depp) is a lot closer to the original book but it misses some damn good songs!

*wanders off singing imagination*

*runs back*

oh oh! And I took my mother out to see the DaVinci Code when it was out as a birthday present. She said that it missed a lot out. Just like the Harry Potter Series does.

And I was looking forward to seeing all those ghosts at nearly headless Nick's birthday party! :(

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The director of the 5th Harry Potter movie thought he was doing something great by removing all the useless background story. I feel sorry for the people who only watch the Harry Potter movies. The 5th book was the best of all the books to me. I am wondering how they can make the 6th movie worse though. I saw much of the stuff in book 6 coming from maybe 500 miles away.

Anyways I should go out and pick up the book fight club I read the first half of it before but I never decided to buy it. I think it shouldn't be that much anyways and its not a hard book to read.

Also I got the first two "Dexter" books and I like the first book way more then season 1. I heard the 3rd book sucks since they start dealing with like gods and all of that like Dexter really isn't in control at all. But I found the first two dexter books to be really good easy reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.