Book suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So, my birthday's coming up and I had no idea what to ask people for. Then I decided that books are always a good idea. I'm getting Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass since I've heard it's a good read and Tim Burton is currently working on a new movie adaption.

The question that remains is what other books I should ask for. I'd like to read up on some classics, but many of them are so terribly boring. For instance, reading Frederick Marryat's The Flying Dutchman nearly put me to sleep. So, anybody got any good suggestions? It doesn't have to be an acclaimed classic. I'd like read something dashed with a bit of surrealism or dream-esque settings, but preferably no sci-fi since I've been reading a lot of that lately.

A

Asher

I just finished reading Maus by Art Spegielman, and I have to say, it was a very entertaining read. It was about the Holocaust and the concentration camps and also the relationship between a man and his father (who is the main character in the story). It is a graphic novel (something that turned me off at first), but when I asked around, everyone said it was pretty good. It won the Pulitzer Prize Special Award in 1992 as well, so no harm in picking it up. And I have to say, it was a very good book. A quick, easy read that was quite interesting too : )

B

Butterfly Mage

If Lewis Carrol is your thing, you might like the Redwall series (I forget the author's name, but it's got a dozen books in it and features a warrior-mouse named Martin.) I read about five of them and liked them.

Titus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
How about "Netosjkas Childhood" by Doestoevsky? It deals with basic humanity and some of Freud's Theories.

E

Error404

Anything by William Gibson.

Failing your lack of interest in high end technology merging with humans and society in a disturbing fashion.

I'll just go ahead and say 'A Catcher In The Rye'.

Role
  1. Private
Ask for The Cheese Bible. Even if you don't like cheese, it's incredible to see how cheeses from all over the world are made and eaten.

Really.

I read this while "taking care of business" in 2000-2001 or so at a friend's home (I was house-sitting and looking after their cats). Read several times until my legs were numb.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
If you are getting interested in Alice in Wonderland, then Frank Bedoor's The Looking Glass Wars may interest you. It's a teen-themed book that modifies the mythology of the original story. It's a little more badass and a lot more fantasy based, and actually creates quite an interesting companion to the original work!

leffykit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
I'd recomend Clive Barker's Abarat, or Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking

Abarat is more fantasy style along the lines of the film "The Labrynth"

Dead Witch Walking is Fantasy Crime type. The main character is a Witch bounty hunter in a alternate timeline world where all those fantasy species from Grim's fairytales are as real as the nose on your face and living alongside humans for the past 60 years. Definitely my favourite of the two as I'm about 3/4 of the way through the 6th installment "White witch Black curse".

On a side note the author is a Clint Eastwood fan, hence the titles :p

C_C_C_Otter

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
Anything by Garth Nix, Scott Westerfield, Maureen Johnson, Neal Shusterman, and Lemony snicket is pretty good too...

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
If you ever feel like taking a break from fiction and instead want to delve into the world of travel literature:

Amazon.com: Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu: J. Maarten Troost: Books
Amazon.com: The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific: J. Maarten Troost: Books
Amazon.com: In a Sunburned Country: Bill Bryson: Books

All of them I have read and all of them are very funny. That last one's about a guy road-tripping around Australia. It's got a ton of info on australia's politics, environment, good eats, and history. You'll come away enlightened about that colossal piece of land that the western world tends to ignore most of the time. Take this piece of info: aparently Australia misplaced their prime minister in the 60's when he walked into the ocean and never returned.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Looks like I've got some research to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.