• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Blocking people from your threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Is there any way to block certain people from viewing your threads? If not, is there some add on we can get for that?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Make a blog post and restrict it to your friends list is as close as you're going to get to this, I think. No guarantees even for this.

As much as there are those I might like to exclude from seeing things from time to time, I don't see how it's beneficial to the functioning of a community to enable such a thing, even if it were technically feasible. Nothing you post is truly private anyway, even in the VIP section. Forums aren't really about privacy.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
What exactly would be the utility of allowing this? If you don't want to see a user's replies, then just block that user.

Plus, doing this would allow users to make threads gossiping about other users, while hiding them from those users.

I think if you want to restrict access to what you post, do what Trevor said, or post in a more privileged forum.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
We used to have a feature that allowed mods to block people from threads. But that's no longer in place. But it also doesn't allow OPs to block people.

I don't think this is a good thing to add.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Yeah. I'm not going to allow any Swahilians to read my threads anymore.

You could try what Tea said, and use the blog thing. Just be sure to spam the top three lines in case you can see the blog while logged out. :thumbsup:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Make a blog post and restrict it to your friends list is as close as you're going to get to this, I think. No guarantees even for this.

As much as there are those I might like to exclude from seeing things from time to time, I don't see how it's beneficial to the functioning of a community to enable such a thing, even if it were technically feasible. Nothing you post is truly private anyway, even in the VIP section. Forums aren't really about privacy.
Unfortunately, not many people seem to read the blogs.

What exactly would be the utility of allowing this? If you don't want to see a user's replies, then just block that user.

Plus, doing this would allow users to make threads gossiping about other users, while hiding them from those users.

I think if you want to restrict access to what you post, do what Trevor said, or post in a more privileged forum.
There are some members (that will remain nameless for obvious reasons) that I would like to not post on my threads, as they don't have any useful information, and I feel that when one posts, the rest follow, deteriorating the thread.

This just SCREAMS discrimination.
Not really...It's not like I want it to bar all black people or something

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Support Community, or Ghost Town?

There are some members (that will remain nameless for obvious reasons) that I would like to not post on my threads, as they don't have any useful information...
I have to agree that this thought has crossed my mind. It annoys me greatly to see hundreds of posts from the same (remain nameless) user that rarely is properly on-topic.

On the other hand, this idea will only cause division and anger from those excluded. The one user that I would have considered excluding keeps this site active and gives valuable posts on occasion. How could I consider excluding (nameless user) and risk not allowing an insightful post to occur. Upon taking that risk, the possibility of upsetting other users who enjoy (nameless user)'s post is even worse. If we start upsetting and excluding users, how long will it take to turn this community into a ghost town?

I object to this suggestion.

{Any resemblance between the (nameless user) and members of ADISC is purely coincidental. No animosity was intended toward any individuals.}

Last edited:

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
A forum is a place meant for discussion. It isn't meant for excluding people, even if they can be disruptive to a topic. That is what the mods are for - if some gets too disruptive they can be warned or whatever. The whole thing with a forum is it gets people talking, not shuts them out.

If you don't want them to post on it then you'll have to put it somewhere they can't get. That could be a blog set to friends only, or it could be posting on a forum they don't have access too. If none of those will work then I am afraid that they will be able to see it and post to it.

And it is discrimination, what you are suggesting. If you let one person do something but someone else not on some arbitary decision then you are discriminating against them. Depending on the reason you use you might convince people that it makes sense, but it is still discriminating. It could be used to talk about people behind their backs and other stuff like that. Not what we want.

I really don't think this is a good idea. Let the mods decide if someone is being disruptive - it's their job afterall. If they really annoy you you can mention it in thread, you can PM them, you can put a request in the requests forum, or give them neg or neutral rep with a constructive comment. If someone is a problem you have a multitude of options available to you, so how about not worrying about what they do? Then you only have to react when they do it.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I really don't think this is a good idea. Let the mods decide if someone is being disruptive - it's their job afterall. If they really annoy you you can mention it in thread, you can PM them, you can put a request in the requests forum, or give them neg or neutral rep with a constructive comment. If someone is a problem you have a multitude of options available to you, so how about not worrying about what they do? Then you only have to react when they do it.
I don't want to turn this into a "Mods don't do enough" thread, but I have talked about at least one of the people that I want to keep away from my threads with one of them. They supposedly have talked to them or are doing something about it, but I have yet to see a difference. Whether this members just ignored them or not, I do not know, but I don't want to get into that anymore.

By making something friends only, isn't that also discrimination? I don't see how being able to keep one person off your threads is any different than making a blog or something friends only for the same purpose.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
By making something friends only, isn't that also discrimination? I don't see how being able to keep one person off your threads is any different than making a blog or something friends only for the same purpose.
Blogs are for you, threads are for everyone.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Well blogs were an example, and they can be for both. Some use blogs for personal use, others use them for thread-like reasons.
I mean that the purpose is different. They're designed to let you fulfill your little narcissistic desires and say (within some vague reason) what you want. They're for you and you determine who sees them and whether or not you will allow comment. This is why some of the amateur forum cops will swing into action when someone posts a thread without any obvious question that "This is what blogs are for!" You may choose to make them just like a thread, but it's your choice, which is the critical bit. Threads are part of the community and you roll the dice like everyone else who throws something up there. It may get no replies, it may go badly or wonderfully off-topic.

I get where you're coming from. There are times I'd prefer that certain people not post in threads where things are going along in an interesting way and they can get derailed. Sometimes it leads to something good and unforseen. Often, it doesn't. It's just a cost of doing business. If you can't bear to have your idea ruined, don't share it. If you're willing to put it out there, you take the chance.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I get where you're coming from. There are times I'd prefer that certain people not post in threads where things are going along in an interesting way and they can get derailed. Sometimes it leads to something good and unforseen. Often, it doesn't. It's just a cost of doing business. If you can't bear to have your idea ruined, don't share it. If you're willing to put it out there, you take the chance.
I suppose more than anything, I would just like the members that I would block to stop with what they are doing, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm just tired of so many threads being derailed by the same member(s), with nothing being done about it.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
lololololol

I think you should just talk to the people you have problems with and ask them nicely to stop. Honestly, the feature you described seems like a great tool for allowing private rancor/drama to spill-over into the forums.

MetalHeadTiffany

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
There are some members (that will remain nameless for obvious reasons) that I would like to not post on my threads, as they don't have any useful information, and I feel that when one posts, the rest follow, deteriorating the thread.
Just one question I wouldnt happen to be one of the users that causes problems would I? I mean yes sometimes I get a little too carried away but dont you think that this is going too far? back on the subject
I think it would be a very bad feature because not only can people post gossip/rumor threads, they can also abuse this feature to block out moderators from threads unless there is an override code that the mods can use thus leaving a long lasting troublemaker thread that will just get worse and worse. Thats my opinion on this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.