Bladder Spasms

OmiOMy

A padded elfin enby
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I'm pretty sure I've been having bladder spasms. These things started I think a few months ago if we're going on when they got to be a regular occurrence. (April '16 if we're going by first "incident.")

Sometimes they're a fast series of twitches, almost feeling like a vibrating THING is sitting on top of my bladder. Other times, it feels kind of like a quick punch and release. Then there's the SQUEEZE variant that doesn't let go for a while, that stops me in my tracks.

In all cases if I move during, I'm ending up wet.

They happen mostly when I'm stressed, I've noticed, but they also seem to happen at seemingly random times of the day. I can't tell if food is setting them off. Holding it makes them last longer, and since I'm usually padded when I'm at home I take my chances and see how they naturally go (usually a small wetting).

I think they started with my fibro. I've been trying to ask my doctor about them but he doesn't seem to be listening to me about this--probably because I'm 32. But I've had accidents. I wet the bed, for cripes sake. I mean, TECHNICALLY it's managed, but... what do I do about the spasms?

till you get the dr to help you i would look at wwwnorthshorecare.com and ask them for samples i may even be that you need something more times than not and it is ok to need them i would rather be cought sporting a for me diaper bulge than sport a big wet spot on my pants they have all kinds to choose from

time to see your urologist to see if they can tell whats causing the spasms, in the mean time make sure you are well protected with a good quality diaper. Incontinence knows no age limit it can happen at any age.

hope you are able to get some answers when you see your doctor or an urologist

Time to change doctors if he doesn't want to listen.

Rob110 said:
time to see your urologist to see if they can tell whats causing the spasms, ... see your doctor or an urologist

Also, track what you eat/drink when/before you get these spasms. There maybe a food related sensitivity. Keep a voiding diary is something he/she will ask for so, having it before the appointment will help move things along.

Lastly, it is counter intuitive, stay hydrated. Higher concentrated urine can irritate the bladder. It does for me. I am constantly adjusting when and amount of water based on activities and try to look at daily water intake being more even than at one time. Though I do reframe from drinking before events where changing is harder and making it up later (literally drought and flood).

Last edited:
Hi OmiOMy

You need to get to the bottom of this. I'd strongly recommend that you get a second opinion, or better yet get a referral to a neurologist who deals with Fibromyalgia. In addition, see a urologist about the bladder spasms, you need to find out if they are being caused by the Fibro or whether it's something else. The reason why I recommend seeing a neurologist as well is because most urologists won't think it's Fibro that's causing the spasms.

I'd also ask about treatment options and what can be done to lessen it. In the meantime stay hydrated and wear comfortable diapers. Don't give away your DL side, but I suggest that you tell your neurologist that you've been wearing diapers to manage the spasms before seeing them, and if there are any recommendations they can make for you.

Beside the spasms, do you have any sensation of chronic pain anywhere in your body? You may find that they're linked back to the central nervous system. Think of it as your body getting the wrong signals.

Both fibro and incontinence can strike at any age, and it's never fun. I don't have Fibromyalgia but I have something similar, which I've dealt with for over 10 years now, which is even worse. This illness has left me bladder incontinent and in diapers 24/7. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

OmiOMy said:
I think they started with my fibro. I've been trying to ask my doctor about them but he doesn't seem to be listening to me about this--probably because I'm 32. But I've had accidents. I wet the bed, for cripes sake. I mean, TECHNICALLY it's managed, but... what do I do about the spasms?

you are one of many of us that were told we have fibro.(lazy doctors)
now research is showing about 50% really have small fiber neuropathy.

http://nationalpainreport.com/small...ibromyalgia-patients-are-seeking-8835911.html

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/12/24/fibromyalgia-small-fiber-neuropathy-symptom-study/

Urinary symptoms don't fit fibro but do fit small fiber polyneuropathy. Ungency like you have is common symptom of SFPN

If you see a doctor let them know that you have fibro that may really be small fiber polyneuropathy.

I take gabapentin for my fibro/SFPN and it lessens the pain and spasms.

Back