Bladder capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Incontinent
Has anyone ever measured how much your bladder holds by peeing into something you can measure it with? I'm curious to know what the average amount someone can hold is.

The reason is, when I was in the rehab hospital, after the regular catheter was removed, and it was hoped that my urine would come out on it's own, (which it didn't for almost 2 weeks), they routinely used ultra sound to determine whether or not I needed to be catheterized again to drain my bladder. That was done 4 to 5 times in a 24 hour period. And if they went much more than 6 hours between, like when I was asleep, my bladder was so full they were afraid it would rupture before it drained. I have, or at least did have at that time, an extra large bladder. (It had been stretched out from years of holding my urine at work for long periods of time). And when it was full, they drained it into a measured container, and I sometimes had over 35 ounces of urine in there. This is documented in my records at the hospital. After the first 4 days, I told the nurses that I knew how to self catheterize, because they were killing me with there rough handling of my naughty bits. So I did it until I began to pee on my own again. I don't know why it took so long for my bladder to begin to drain again on it's own, but I was sure glad when it did. I hate catheters. Now, I don't think I hold nearly as much, as I'm no longer able to control my bladder, so I think it's shrunk back down to a more normal size.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I believe the average is around 16-20oz. It varies from person to person depending on body type, height, weight, and etc.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I believe the average is around 16-20oz. It varies from person to person depending on body type, height, weight, and etc.
That sounds about right. I've just about filled a 16oz cup before when my bladder was pretty full.

~Pramrider

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I'll have to messure sometime, but all I know at the moment is that I can hold it for about 9-12 hours.

S

stanfordhawks

I can only hold about 200 mL or 6.76 oz I have a really small bladder.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've heard of pissing contests, but this is ridiculous. I think Groucho Marx said that. Anyway, it sounds like you had a nasty operation. When I had my back operated on, I couldn't urinate either. A middle aged female nurse taught me how to catheterize myself. It was conditional on being able to leave the hospital, so I consented. Finally after several weeks, the ability to pee finally kicked in, and what a great day that was, as it was also tied into other things the penis likes to do. The things we have to go through!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Now are we talking absolute "have an accident" capacity... or just where the first need to pee kicks in? As I am continuously diapered I don't really have a way of measuring my capacity... but I would imagine by the frequency and amount that I wet that it has probably shrunk in size since my 24/7 bit started.

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I have kidney problems, and one of the tests they do is a VCUG.

They cath me, and fill my bladder up as full as I can take it.

It starts to hurt at around 25 oz, but I always try to get to 30+, which is optimum to get a good test reading.

But as far as normal hold-age, mine is tiny. I've been trained to go as soon as I get the inkling that I miiight have to pee (cuz of my condition), so I go about 8+ times a day, but all very little.

uknappyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
The last time I had a test called 'Urodynamics Testing' I had a bladder capacity of only 20ml (or = 0.676280454 US fluid ounces) as you can imagine this is why I wear diapers!

I had a catheter in for over 6 years at one point, now I cannot have one as I immediately get an infection.

Regards,

UKNappyman

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
ive been wondering this same question, how do you determine bladder capacity, i believe mine is around 18-28 fluid ounces

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
The last time I had a test called 'Urodynamics Testing' I had a bladder capacity of only 20ml (or = 0.676280454 US fluid ounces) as you can imagine this is why I wear diapers!
HOLY.....erm, PISS-BAG! the last time i measured mine (and with a very full morning bladder), it held a pint and a half. i know that sounds a lot and that the 'normal' is supposed about half that, and that i'm quite a bit smaller than average which only compounds matters....and stuff.
for my being able to hold so much, i blame the exercises which cured my bedwetting. see, i don't feel my bladder when i'm asleep so, i don't get up to go for a piddle.

btw, uknappyman, just curious about which garments you use and which you consider the best?

Role
Diaper Lover
I probably have about an average size bladder, which would put it at about a pint. But I get the urge to urinate anywhere between half and a quarter capacity much of the time, which can get annoying and sometimes embarrassing. Especially at night when I usually wake up at least once, and sometimes multiple times, because of it.

Role
Incontinent
Now are we talking absolute "have an accident" capacity... or just where the first need to pee kicks in? As I am continuously diapered I don't really have a way of measuring my capacity... but I would imagine by the frequency and amount that I wet that it has probably shrunk in size since my 24/7 bit started.
Well, I was more or less thinking of the absolute most you could hold, accident material. That's what my capacity was, 35 ounces, or around 1200ml. I know it's not that much now, because I'm not soaking my diapers quite as much as I used to in one wetting, and since I can no longer hold it back, I'm sure my bladder has probably shrunken to a more normal size.

DogBoy: I've heard of pissing contests, but this is ridiculous.
LOL, Yeah, I guess it is one huh? :eek:

I had that urodynamic test right after I told my doctor about my bedwetting and he had sent me to a urologist. They sat me in this weird chair that had an opening beneath my butt, and they stuck this catheter in my penis, and a pressure probe in my bum to see how much pressure was building up around my bladder, and to see how much pressure I could exert to empty it. Then they filled my bladder with fluid. When they got to about 650ml, and I still couldn't tell I had anything in there at all, they had me try to empty it. Unfortunately, I can't put any pressure on my bladder, (or bowels for that matter), and if I try, I get a horrible pain in my back from it.

Last edited:

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
Um.. I don't know as far as numbers go.. but my bladder has never been that big. I don't really like to hold it, I try to go as soon as I can after the urge hits- so I wouldn't know how much I could hold in measurement terms... as far as how long I can hold it... it really depends on how quickly and strongly the urge hits me..

Last edited:

checkingoutall

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Other
I have to go in and have spinal nerve blocks. There have been times that I have woke up with a wet diaper and when they cathed me, they pulled out 1500cc, that is over 50oz, or a little over 1.5quarts. When ever my bladder ends up holding lots, I will have to cath in order to get the last 100 to 200cc that is left in my bladder.

I am not a big person, just have a really streched out bladder.

uknappyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
btw, uknappyman, just curious about which garments you use and which you consider the best?
I have tried most of the 'Nappy Style' and other types of Incontinence garments available here in the UK and found that I prefer the Molicare Super (Air Active) the best for me.

I also sometimes use the Abri Form X Plus nappies when I am going away on holiday on a long flight as they hold a lot of urine.

I get my supplies from the local NHS trust thankfully as they are about £40 - £50 for a case of 3 packs!

I hope this answers your question! :cool:

UKNappyman

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I only got 15 Oz.....
I only drink about 2 glasses of water a day, so I would expect that... If I drink any more, I start to feel sick... Damn... Im weird!

S

stanfordhawks

I only got 15 Oz.....
I only drink about 2 glasses of water a day, so I would expect that... If I drink any more, I start to feel sick... Damn... Im weird!
That is so bad for you. My friends mom had to get a liver transplant due to excessive dehydration. She took in about 1000cc of water every day.

The recommended water intake is half your weight then into ounces.
So like for me. 190lb/2=80lb
80lb = 80oz
Simple as that!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
I drink at least 96 ounces of water while I'm at work... and probably close to that at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.