bitcoin scammers emailing my ADISC email

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've recently received emails like this, trying to con me into sending them bitcoins. They're ALWAYS addressed to the email alias I created for use on this website. This forum is the only place on the planet that should have that email address, and it's the only one that's getting these emails, so it appears this forum is the source of the leak. Here's the most recent email:

..:::,,,***:::***'''...,,,***:::***:::
Hey, today I got some bad news for you.
Check the sender of this email, it's your email, that means I sent it from your email account.
How?! Some time ago your computer was infected with my private malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool).
My RAT gave me full access to all your files, accounts, contacts and it also was possible to spy on your desktop and on you over your webcam.
You can google about the functions of Remote Administration Tool.
I COLLECTED ALL YOUR FILES, ACCOUNTS, CONTACTS.
I RECORDED SOME NICE MOMENTS OF YOU FROM YOUR WEBCAM! ;D
I can publish all your files, accounts, contacts, everywhere, including the darknet.
I can send the video of you to all your contacts, post it on social networks and everywhere else.
To stop me, pay 950$ in Bitcoin (BTC).
It's easy to buy Bitcoin (BTC), for example here: http://exbase.io , https://paxful.om/buy-bitcoin , or google another exchanger.
My Bitcoin (BTC) wallet is: 1D9BSWQcbn9Pwqqvd2iWatWGRJH7B48Ygz
Yes that's how the wallet looks like, copy and paste it, it's (CaSe-sEnSEtiVE).
I give you 2 days time to pay.
Showing this mail to someone else wont help you, my RAT is no longer on you computer and this email was sent from some random generated account.
After receiving the Bitcoin (BTC), I will delete everything and you never hear from me again.
Next time update your browser before browsing the web!
:::'''___***___'''---...''''''...'''***___...:::---:::,,,,,,---

I'm assuming other users in this forum are also getting these? Can anyone else confirm getting something like this to their registered email for here?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
I've recently received emails like this, trying to con me into sending them bitcoins. They're ALWAYS addressed to the email alias I created for use on this website. This forum is the only place on the planet that should have that email address, and it's the only one that's getting these emails, so it appears this forum is the source of the leak.
This is a fairly common email scam that is sent to countless email inboxes.
It is common enough that there are numerous articles about it:

As to how they got your email, I don't know.

There are many possible explanations, including:
- they could simply have guessed it. Some scammers just try to send to every possible address, and some of them turn out to be valid addresses.
- they could have got access to a system somewhere that processes email (say at your ISP, or your email provider's ISP, or whatever) and harvested a ton of emails including that one from that
- one of the third-party services that ADISC uses, or at some point used in the past (such as Tapatalk, or email delivery system, or whatnot) could have been compromised
- you at one point used it for something else, and either forgot, or never realized you were in the first place (how long have you used this address?)
- you told someone else your ADISC email, either on your profile, in a post, or in a pm conversation (if you gave your email to anyone, and their email got hacked, it could reveal your address in their contact list and thus get spam sent your way)

Given the number of potential things it could be, its actually nigh-impossible for me to figure out exactly how they got your address.
My suggestions are:
- Make a new email, update your ADISC email to the new email, and see if you still get these messages. If you do, alert me immediately! But I don't think you will.
- Sign up your various emails on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to get automatic notification if your email(s) are ever leaked anywhere. This is more of a general step, but it helps keep you informed about data leaks in general.
- Keep using an email service that splits your email accounts into a different address for every website you use. That means you can easily kill off and replace any address you think has been leaked.

If you want to help me investigate this, here's what you can do:
- Find out exactly when you started using that email on ADISC. Ideally, tell me the exact date you created that address. The longer the address has been in use, the harder it will be to track down how anyone could know about it. If you've been using that same address for the last 10 years, that makes it very hard to track down.
- Make a list of any third party ADISC-associated but third-party-run services or platforms you have used. Did you ever use Tapatalk? (I asked them to delete all member data when we stopped supporting them). How about Discord? Anything else?

Last edited:

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
There are many possible explanations, including:
- they could simply have guessed it. Some scammers just try to send to every possible address, and some of them turn out to be valid addresses.
unlikely. I have over 300 aliases with similar addresses and this is the only one to get hit. (five in the last 2 days)

- they could have got access to a system somewhere that processes email (say at your ISP, or your email provider's ISP, or whatever) and harvested a ton of emails including that one from that
this isn't an ISP email, it's a private rackspace alias. And again, none of my other aliases there are getting it, just this one.

- one of the third-party services that ADISC uses, or at some point used in the past (such as Tapatalk, or email delivery system, or whatnot) could have been compromised
I made this alias just for here. I don't use it for anything else. The only other times it's received mail is when I was first registering here, and when I turned on thread watching to get email updates. (and I haven't used that in a long time)

- you at one point used it for something else, and either forgot, or never realized you were in the first place (how long have you used this address?)
- you told someone else your ADISC email, either on your profile, in a post, or in a pm conversation (if you gave your email to anyone, and their email got hacked, it could reveal your address in their contact list and thus get spam sent your way)
not an address, just an alias, and should be just for here.

Given the number of potential things it could be, its actually nigh-impossible for me to figure out exactly how they got your address.
My suggestions are:
- Make a new email, update your ADISC email to the new email, and see if you still get these messages. If you do, alert me immediately! But I don't think you will.
That's what I'm probably going to do, just make a new alias and see if the problem "follows" me.

- Sign up your various emails on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to get automatic notification if your email(s) are ever leaked anywhere. This is more of a general step, but it helps keep you informed about data leaks in general.
- Keep using an email service that splits your email accounts into a different address for every website you use. That means you can easily kill off and replace any address you think has been leaked.
I don't want to give out my address even to one of those services. That just introduces another point of possible leaking. (even those services get hacked from time to time)

If you want to help me investigate this, here's what you can do:
- Find out exactly when you started using that email on ADISC. Ideally, tell me the exact date you created that address. The longer the address has been in use, the harder it will be to track down how anyone could know about it. If you've been using that same address for the last 10 years, that makes it very hard to track down.

FWIW I keep things like this. Here's the entire history of this alias getting sent to:

emails.png

They were a variety of phishing or click fraud until 2019, where they suddenly were all (nearly identical) bitcoin scareware

I created the address the day I registered here. I create aliases on demand when I need them. I've actually ran into several other people that use this exact same method to track leaks. Some of my more famous encounters were big companies. NewEgg got me rolex spam on two separate occasions. (not too hard to find people reporting this problem, they had a hacked computer in their ordering department for quite a few months, refusing to admit it, several people were doing what I do and discovering it the same way at the same time, newegg just dismissed us all, telling us our computers were hacked or our ISP was hacked etc)

Googling this full email alias returns no hits. Googling @mydomainname returns no email addresses. I run a pretty tight ship.

Jay1965

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I have received these a couple of times: 2x at work - no camera attached (we use thin clients to connect to a server and as a user, I cannot install software), and two times on my private email (I have a laptop on which the camera is covered (and doesn’t work).

....I ignored them and nothing happened.

BobbiSueEllen

A sweet AB toddler girl in Pampers
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
That's the hilarious point right there, when they've told me they had webcam shots of me. I replied back, "I neither use, nor do I even HAVE, a webcam. Do your worst, Stupid, this oughtta be good."

Zero results. On with my life... 🥳

I think someone out there harvested e-mail addies from a random list...and yours was in the pool. That someone finally got the hint (far too late) the Nigerian Scams and IRS/Jail/pay-with-gift-cards scams didn't work and simply moved "from one failure to the next with undiminished enthusiasm" (thank you, Sir Winston Churchill). Keep walkin'...you'll be fine.

Last edited:

quarktheory

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I keep my mic unplugged and my camera lens covered until I’m ready to use.
they can snoop all the want, once when I still used chat my irc number was targeted, they ended up downloading a file from my c: drive titled passwords.txt , all it contained was the monkey.b virus.
never had anymore problems.
just don’t leave yourself hanging out there, follow the 11th comandment “coverth thy arse”

ARBBB2

arbbb2 = a-real-big-baby-boy-2
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
I've recently received emails like this, trying to con me into sending them bitcoins. They're ALWAYS addressed to the email alias I created for use on this website. This forum is the only place on the planet that should have that email address, and it's the only one that's getting these emails, so it appears this forum is the source of the leak. Here's the most recent email:

..:::,,,***:::***'''...,,,***:::***:::
Hey, today I got some bad news for you.
Check the sender of this email, it's your email, that means I sent it from your email account.
How?! Some time ago your computer was infected with my private malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool).
My RAT gave me full access to all your files, accounts, contacts and it also was possible to spy on your desktop and on you over your webcam.
You can google about the functions of Remote Administration Tool.
I COLLECTED ALL YOUR FILES, ACCOUNTS, CONTACTS.
I RECORDED SOME NICE MOMENTS OF YOU FROM YOUR WEBCAM! ;D
I can publish all your files, accounts, contacts, everywhere, including the darknet.
I can send the video of you to all your contacts, post it on social networks and everywhere else.
To stop me, pay 950$ in Bitcoin (BTC).
It's easy to buy Bitcoin (BTC), for example here: http://exbase.io , https://paxful.om/buy-bitcoin , or google another exchanger.
My Bitcoin (BTC) wallet is: 1D9BSWQcbn9Pwqqvd2iWatWGRJH7B48Ygz
Yes that's how the wallet looks like, copy and paste it, it's (CaSe-sEnSEtiVE).
I give you 2 days time to pay.
Showing this mail to someone else wont help you, my RAT is no longer on you computer and this email was sent from some random generated account.
After receiving the Bitcoin (BTC), I will delete everything and you never hear from me again.
Next time update your browser before browsing the web!
:::'''___***___'''---...''''''...'''***___...:::---:::,,,,,,---

I'm assuming other users in this forum are also getting these? Can anyone else confirm getting something like this to their registered email for here?
thanks for sharing that, I would have freaked out to get that!!!

quarktheory

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
The first interaction with the scammer is what they want, anything after that is just gravy.
if you open the email you risk running a script, preview it in a preview pane, I use outlook.
if you reply to them then they know that the random email address that they sent to is still active and that they have a sucker on the other end that they can bait.
when sending email, don’t send mass emails, someone you send to will Inevitably resend with “reply all” which if intercepted will give up the email address of everyone connected to the email.

quarktheory

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
If you know that you are going to change your internet service provider, some are starting to provide a service of forwarding your email (for a fee of course).
start out with a new leaf, don’t give them your new email, go to google or hotmail or even msn (notice I didn’t recommend yahoo). Set up a disposable email address and forward your mail to it. After you have updated your email with your contacts then dispose of the temporary email.
don‘t import your contacts to a web based email, it seems like everyone but Microsoft has been hacked and had their clients contacts copied. Ie...email addresses.
so you think that random junk email has caught your interest and you just want to peek inside, don’t
chances are you probably have all ready hit a website in the last week with that info connected to it.
google your interest directly(you don’t have to use google) just open your browser and search for it.
myself, I don’t buy something unless I’m already looking and it had better have the price tag on it from the start.
i‘m not picking that loaf of bread off the shelf until I know the cost.
i‘ve had to learn the hard way, I’ve been using computers since before the internet, yes there were modems also long distance calls into bbs’s and hours to download a file that would fit on a 180 k floppy.
if in doubt ask first, don’t click.

ARBBB2

arbbb2 = a-real-big-baby-boy-2
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
If you know that you are going to change your internet service provider, some are starting to provide a service of forwarding your email (for a fee of course).
start out with a new leaf, don’t give them your new email, go to google or hotmail or even msn (notice I didn’t recommend yahoo). Set up a disposable email address and forward your mail to it. After you have updated your email with your contacts then dispose of the temporary email.
don‘t import your contacts to a web based email, it seems like everyone but Microsoft has been hacked and had their clients contacts copied. Ie...email addresses.
so you think that random junk email has caught your interest and you just want to peek inside, don’t
chances are you probably have all ready hit a website in the last week with that info connected to it.
google your interest directly(you don’t have to use google) just open your browser and search for it.
myself, I don’t buy something unless I’m already looking and it had better have the price tag on it from the start.
i‘m not picking that loaf of bread off the shelf until I know the cost.
i‘ve had to learn the hard way, I’ve been using computers since before the internet, yes there were modems also long distance calls into bbs’s and hours to download a file that would fit on a 180 k floppy.
if in doubt ask first, don’t click.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO, I AM NOT MUCH OF A COMPUTER GUY SO EVERYTHING HELPS ALOT!!! not shouting, hate to type and don't proof read until done.