BigDog - Not cute and not available from Toys'R'Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Apologies if this is old hat, but I was amazed and slightly disturbed by this thing. It moves just a little *too* naturally. (Pity about the noise it makes.)

Boston Dynamics: The Leader in Lifelike Human Simulation

Also a pity it takes defense funding to do it too.

I want one. (I think.)

Edit: Dammit, it _is_ old hat: http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic/1477-robot-invason.html (I originally read it as 'BioDog' and forgot to search after correcting it. Well for anyone that hasn't seen it... here it is again.

Last edited:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I know of it...I've seen a replica one in real life...At my grandad's work...(He works for the government...DARPA like it says at the end of the article)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Someone break that damn thing that buzzing is really loud and annoying! :p

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
It may be old news, but it's still pretty cool!

ShyBaby

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Someone break that damn thing that buzzing is really loud and annoying! :p

The answer is simple - stick a V8 in it and scale as appropriate. :D

Actually, I think something with the agility of a (slightly drunken) dog and the power of a V8 would have to be encroaching on the dinosaur world. Every kid's dream; robot dinosaurs... kewl...

Last edited:

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
That thing scares me. Kill it. It's like a four legged robot tarantula.... that buzzes.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Metal Gear Solid comes to mind...

Dammit, you beat me, asshole.

Anyways:

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Don't kill it. This is primarily designed for moving military supplies and wounded soldiers on the battlefield. Saving lives in other words. However, it will also have many civilian applications helping the disabled, search and rescue, etc...

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I am just failing to see what is so freaky about it. I didn't feel anything weird about it what so ever, and I agree with Incomplete Dude that with that purpose it shouldn't be destroyed.

For most people this seems to be an example of the uncanny valley effect. A point where something is familiar enough to be recognised but not quite right, and so it really puts people off, to the point where it really creeps people out. That thing is very dog like, but not so dog like you think it is a dog. A lot of humans consider dogs a good thing as loyal pets, or in some cases for the furries on this site, even closer. The brain just doesn't like it.

I personally don't get it, but then again I have seen loads of uncanny valley tests and none of them have any effect on me. Maybe I'm just weird?

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
I am just failing to see what is so freaky about it. I didn't feel anything weird about it what so ever, and I agree with Incomplete Dude that with that purpose it shouldn't be destroyed.

For most people this seems to be an example of the uncanny valley effect. A point where something is familiar enough to be recognised but not quite right, and so it really puts people off, to the point where it really creeps people out. That thing is very dog like, but not so dog like you think it is a dog. A lot of humans consider dogs a good thing as loyal pets, or in some cases for the furries on this site, even closer. The brain just doesn't like it.

I personally don't get it, but then again I have seen loads of uncanny valley tests and none of them have any effect on me. Maybe I'm just weird?

Nah, your not weird. It's probably just that it looks like some kind of alien spider thing to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.