Big, big problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moocow

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I would also suggest a virus scan and an adware/spyware scan. There are free options out there if you don't have any installed.

Anti-virus: Avg free (free.grisoft.com)
Adware/Sypware: Lavasoft (lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php)

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
Actually it looks like a really bad Trojan embedded on your HDD, I see your downloaded music folder, you may have downloaded a nasty virus from whatever P2P program you use.

(I could be wrong of course >.> )
I think you right be right, my friend got an expensive XPS like a month ago and was too cheap to get virus software and something similar to this is happening (but not as bad). Now he grew a brain and got AVG Free Edition (which still sucks, but atleast its something)

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Run a test on your graphic card and check its driver software. Windows Vista?! It's more like Windows Virus.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Hardware:

Intel Core 2 Duo E2160, 2.6GHz OC
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Kingston 2GB DDR-II 667 memory
Storage: Seagate ST3160820AS (boot) 3.AAE, ST3320820AS 3.AAK (this hard drive died twice in three months!!), Seagate ST316081 2A 3.AAJ, ~600GB total.
Albatron 8600GT 256MB GFX card

This computer has more than enough power to handle Vista, because I've tried it.
Also, before anyone else badmouths Vista:

1. I have never had these problems in Vista.
2. Most of Vista's "problems" can be turned off.
3. Windows XP SP3 has caused more problems than it solved.

My hardware has completely changed since the problem started, the only thing that hasn't is my boot drive, and I've had problems with all three, mainly with bad partition tables. I will be buying two Samsung 500GB HDDs and selling these.

But regardless, I am going to Vista.

Also, if anyone wants to know why I went back, it's the fact that the luminescence to the text (usually only visible on CRTs) that was designed to improve the font on LCDs could actually be (mostly) turned off, I now know that it's subpixel rendering.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Well, if reinstalling an operating system doesn't help, and that OS *used* to work...I would say it's either

1.) Embedded virus on your HD (swap in a different drive to reinstall and test)
2.) Hardware problem (I've seen malfunctioning USB devices reak havoc on Windows machines, download, burn and run memtest86 - though it doesn't look like a memory issues, it could even be a CPU issue)

Oh, and on the hard drive side of things, stick with Seagate... they have a better track record and better warranty than Samsung (I've had every Samsung I've ever owned or known someone to own DIE :(

And for the record, I have *never* had an unsolvable issue with XP.SP2. Vista, on the other hand, I had boatloads of issues - this was back in October, so it's probably improved, but I don't have time right now to see.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
[COLOR="DarkRed"Oh, and on the hard drive side of things, stick with Seagate... they have a better track record and better warranty than Samsung (I've had every Samsung I've ever owned or known someone to own DIE :([/COLOR]
Sorry, no can do.

I have had so many problems with Seagates that if I see another damn hard drive made by the company stated earlier, I will throw it at the ground.

I HATE the things.

EDIT: I have noticed many of you saying it could be a resident virus. I don't think so.

10-pass data destruction + big magnets = not much data left!

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
So Spirit, since you tired Vista. CAn you confirm that you get no stability issues compared to your XP install. If so, then its only a software problem. I would say check your drivers. And as a few people have stated, it may be you graphics card from the BSoD.

But if vista works, so be it. It'll play most of your games. Like CoD4 AoE3 etc...

Maybe it is becuase you computer is too good for XP :p. Since XP is over 5 years old.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Maybe it is becuase you computer is too good for XP :p. Since XP is over 5 years old.
Try eight years old...

I don't know why people make such a fuss, you may have the same computer for eight years, of course it'll need upgrading/replacing if you want to use Vista.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, people were making a fuss because they bought PCs in the year previous to Vista's release and even then they didn't have the recommended system requirements. That goes for me with my laptop, though I don't much care as I don't care for windows in the first place.

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Hmm. I'd say spyware, a worm or virus on your boot drive somewhere could cause these problems, that or a hardware failure somewhere along the line. If it's the latter, all you really can do is try to find and replace the bad parts, or get a new computer. If it's the former, buy the best antivirus/spyware program you can.

AlexRianSabaw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Little, Carer
Symptoms are as follows (there are a LOT):
Note, any or all symptoms can be displayed.

-Firefox window goes black on refresh

-Windows are corrupted when refreshed if opened before symptoms started occurring

-Applications fail to start or elements are corrupted when the window is refreshed or opened, this includes Explorer windows - Yikes

-ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY (code 14) Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. - A ram error?

-Can not select tasks which are grouped in the taskbar

-No right-click

-No pop-up descriptions

-Can not save things

-Burner is "not ready"

-When switching to another window, sometimes a completely random window will also be displayed - Shell problems

-When something in a menu is clicked, that will remain when clicked and will not disappear until resolution is reset (see picture) - More shell problems

-Error creating window. - Shell is corrupted

-Error creating window handle. - Shell is corrupted

-Unreal Tournament crashes and BSOD: 0x000000EA (0x8A25ADA8, 0x89E71238, 0xBACE3CBC, 0x00000001) nv4_disp infinite loop - This is a problem with your video card. Display drivers are broken.

-12 minutes to boot OS! - corrupted boot files?

----
To fix this piece by piece would take too long. What you need to do is back up your music, movies and important crap. Pay attention to what you transfer, don't re-transfer the trojan or a virus. If it starts with .exe, .pif, .com or .vbs and you don't know what it is. Don't open it, don't keep it. Go grab a windows reinstall CD. Reinstall windows XP. It's pretty straight forward. Format the drive, install windows, Wait an hour. Complete config, wait another hour. And there ya go. System fixed. You'll have to go back and reinstall the drivers for certain devices though. If the OS won't allow you to transfer, or if it crashes. You have no choice but to leave the data behind. If what I'm telling you is too complicated. You might want to find a friend who knows this stuff, or just get a new computer. :)

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I would definately say those symptoms fit with hardware failure. Possibly multiple little ones in the RAM or hard drive, or a single big one on your motherboard.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, I ran Memtest for 9 hours and it turned up nothing. That "bad spot" turned out to be in a non-existent sector.

End of story
Sorry but Linux is not an option in my particular case. I want computing to be easier, not harder. I don't care if anyone laughs at me but I have never figured out how to make en executable work, it just doesn't seem as easy as other people say it is.

I am fairly certain it's the hard drive as all three of them have had problems, mostly with partitions suddenly going bad when created.
I will be getting some new hard drives on the 20th and I will be performing a clean slate.

I'll let you guys now how it goes.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
all executables don't work on linux.

What I'd do is make sure your win CD is good. Backup good data. Then do a zero fill on the HDDs and reinstall windows.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Well, there seems to be a fair few ideas being said here. But when you do get your hard drives don't forget to document things. Just in case you do have problems. But hopefully that shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed!

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Okay, I have installed Vista, but I'm still having problems, I'm even using a different hard drive, so that rules the hard drives out as the source of the problem, despite the 900 or so read/write errors.

The hard drive that had XP on it was actually dying.

I'll have to try and eliminate every bit of hardware until I find the problem. But the two problems with that is the fact that most people/shops won't simply let you borrow hardware (unless I paid a ton and actually had the computer looked at), the other problem is time.

While I am having the same problems, they are a little different, so something is certainly screwing with the UI, and I seriously doubt it's anything I've installed. It's got to be a hardware problem.

The other problem is the fact that I haven't found any bad ram despite three days of testing, the graphics card has been replaced, the hard drives are progressively being replaced.

I'm terribly sorry if I sound extremely bitchy/depressed but I've used this thing before.

A couple of side notes.. Firstly: Most flavours of Linux don't work for some reason, Mac has constant kernel panics in VMware.

Secondly, don't buy Seagate. I bought two and had to return three.

EDIT: I have noticed that some people are becoming confused as to what exactly my problem is, so I'll sum it up in three words: I don't know.

All that I know is this:

1. Something is screwing with the UI in both Windows XP and Vista.
2. Most (if not all) distributions of Linux don't work.
3. I'm about too chuck this computer onto the bloody highway.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Hmmm... I don't feel like reading everything here, and I have to leave in a minute, but.,...

^^ I've recently been having that happen to me, along with losing the sidepane (preview and info pane) and sometimes not being able to open pain (cannot create blank document) ... the all coincided with updating firefox recently. I would have to close firefox (completely, ctrl-alt-del-end task if you have to) and it would solve the problem. I also noticed that closing azureus(or java in general) would help, but not solve the problem.

Also, power supplies are a cheap fix and can cause a whack of problems in a computer - that would be worth checking out. Test your memory too, downloading memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) onto a bootable CD or floppy and run it for a couple of passes (a couple of hours, depending on how much ram you got). If none of this helps,
check to make sure the capacitors on your mobo aren't bulging or oozing (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/whurd/Bad.jpg). I still see this happen every once in a while, though not as common as 5 years ago.

Oh, and if you can, borrow a different video card to try out, though that doesn't sound like the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.