Best position to pee while lying down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddedInEastvale

Straight Diaper Lover
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I am going to have some time to sleep in diapers in about a week. First time in years. Anyways, I just wanted to get some feedback on best position to use to avoid leaks. Any suggestions? Also, I have Abena m4, Abu simple and molicare super plus. Which would be the best for night?

LittleICme

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
All three brands should work well, just based on your body shape/diaper fit will determine which is best.

Wear the diaper a little lower in the back and higher in the front and tape tightly with it pulled snug to the crotch.

Always best to wet laying on your back with Willy pointed down into the center of the diaper.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I am going to have some time to sleep in diapers in about a week. First time in years. Anyways, I just wanted to get some feedback on best position to use to avoid leaks. Any suggestions? Also, I have Abena m4, Abu simple and molicare super plus. Which would be the best for night?

I don't think there's any debait on position - lay on your back and stay there. Tummy works but is a bit lower capacity. Side is asking for trouble - most disposables will leak almost immediately. Point down of course. Don't snug the padding up against your junk - fold the crotch's center line away from your body so you have a channel / gutter from front to back to give liquids an easy path, especially when the padding has swelled up a bit.

I've found the lower tapes don't have to be really tight as long as you don't flood repeatedly. Attach the lower tapes in and DOWN toward the leg elastic and around the legs. (not UP) Decent leak guards help. Wear something with enough capacity to handle you overnight. (I've been going a lot overnight recently, Xplus/4 sometimes aren't enough, kitten often are full to the limit, and last night's space had less than 2" of dry padding left in the back by this morning)

TOWEL

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion - pointing down is difficult for some people. NB: I don't usually stress the capacity of diapers - I go to bed minimally hydrated and with a fresh diaper.

Lying on back, I find the pee travels the contours of your body (if pointing up), around the side and partly into the back padding, partly through the cracks in the side.

Lying on side, the first time the side fluff can take the brunt of a flood. Lots of things will leak a little.

Lying on tummy has been safest for me, with some precautions (including taping the waist especially tightly, and keeping the rest somewhat loose).

The major problem is making sure gravity pulls everything to somewhere absorbant. When lying on back/tummy, even a slight shift in the mattress could make everything come up the waistband. Strategic pillows or raising the head of the bed can help with this.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
OTOH, some of us tend to wake up soaked (like I did this morning) and so we need our diapers in top form or we'll have leaks by morning. Gravity is part 1, wicking is part 2. You need to direct the wetness somewhere that can handle the sudden delivery, and then move it somewhere else to make room for more.

I wake up fairly frequently overnight, and with my level of hydration about 1/2 of those times I can feel a little pressure in my bladder. That gets taken care of and I go right back to sleep. This curtails a flood in the morning, and gives my diaper plenty of time to wick to the rear (often all the way up to the end) and get the center crotch area less saturated before I make the next addition an hour later.

At this point, bambino, kitten, and xplus are my minimum requirement for overnight protection, as I really don't want to have to get up and change overnight. (that'll disturb my sleep pattern much more than a potty break!) ABU and Rearz are now my preferred overnight diapers, and are required on the weekend because I sleep in.

Also, at a certain point you'll start wicking forward. I had wicked about 1/2 way up the front of my space by the time I got up this morning. Wicking in the front isn't likely to lead to a leak, it just makes the front of your diaper bulk up quite a bit ;)

ST50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I don't worry about leaks but am usually laid almost on my stomach as it how I sleep and I pee in my sleep every night

WBxx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
In my experience sleeping position and pointing direction are of little concern with cloth diapers. Wish the same could be said of disposables. There’s got to be answer?

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In my experience sleeping position and pointing direction are of little concern with cloth diapers. Wish the same could be said of disposables. There’s got to be answer?

Well, cloth wicks really well, and the plastic pants can allow urine to pool until the cloth has time to wick and distribute, so that's not too surprising. Disposables can only pool in so much as the leak guards can manage... that works well while standing, but not while laying down.

ornitorrinco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Lying on back, I find the pee travels the contours of your body (if pointing up), around the side and partly into the back padding, partly through the cracks in the side.

If you have a larger body, or if your diaper is on the smaller size for your body fit, you will likely leak around the sides much more easily, because there is less diaper coverage/protection around your hip area.

As a larger man myself, I only point down and sleep on my back because if the urine gets high enough on my body go go down over my hips there WILL be leaks.

RJDodger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
If I have to go in the middle of the night, I'll usually just sit up or get on all fours to do it.

tall2826

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
Whenever I wake up to go in the middle of the night when I'm diapered I just usually lay on my back and let go and it never leaks from my experiences. On the few occasions when i wet in my sleep I leak when I am on my side and that isn't very often when I'm on my side.

SoakedSheets

Diaper Diva
Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I sleep on my back with my legs apart and I haven't had much trouble with leaking. As long as you are wearing adequate protection like an Abena M4 (my preferred style) then you should be just fine

Fowlerea

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I think it is more important that you are in a comfy position so you do actually sleep. Maybe consider plastic pants.

TheCaptain

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
One thing that hasn't been suggested are bedmats. I tried them for the first time about a year ago and am hooked now (for sleeping while diapered at least). Whenever I wear to bed, I'm always a little paranoid of leaks to the point that it can sometimes significantly detract from the experience and make it hard for me to sleep. However, after using Goodnites bedmats it made the whole experience 100x better. So I highly suggest getting some. I like the Goodnites ones since they're cheap, you get a good amount in a pack, and they're pretty lightweight. Perfect for capturing any pesky leakage, but probably not good at all for flooding directly on.

I find lying on my back to be the best position. That way, gravity can help pull any fluid towards the back where there's lots of padding to absorb it while also absorbing it around the crotch/in between the legs on its way towards the back or if it pools up a little before being absorbed.

All of those are good quality premium diapers and should work pretty well for overnight use regardless of which one you choose.

1. The ABU Simple will probably have the best capacity and will most likely not leak. You'll probably wanna save the Simple for after you've gotten use to and perfected your technique for overnight wearing so you can use it to its fullest potential.

2. The Abena is possibly your second most absorbent diaper (although the Molicare will also be pretty close if, not on par with the it). I really like Abenas. Apparently they use to be better, but I find they fit well and hold a lot none the less.

3. The Molicare is totally capable of being a great overnight diaper as well. I like Molicares, but find Abenas to be more affordable and slightly thicker/softer IMO (which is why I think they might have slightly better capacity).

All three of these are great diapers for overnight use or really any use in general, but your ABU Simple will, hands down, be the best overnight diaper.

Have fun :) !

Last edited:
S

Southstuart

Lying face down works best for me. Otherwise wee runs down to my bum and leaks. . I don't like a wet bed. .

aNerdyAnorak

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
I can only pee lying on my back, if I lie on my front or my side it doesn't work.

PaddedInEastvale

Straight Diaper Lover
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Just to give everybody an update, I wore my little paws and space diapers at bed time and peed every night while laying down on my back. No leaks. It was an amazing time.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Just to give everybody an update, I wore my little paws and space diapers at bed time and peed every night while laying down on my back. No leaks. It was an amazing time.

and I bet you didn't even make a dent in their capacity, didja? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.