Best diaper for IBS-D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molecule

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Just curious what diaper those of you that have IBS-D use? I know there have been some product revisions by some companies lately but curious what seems to be the most commonly used?

I'm looking for something that has taller standing leak guards and a higher overall cut. However, using something with high liquid absorbency such as Inspire +, ABU Simple/Ultra just isn't economical since changing is every few hours at best.

Thanks all!

Just about any high quality diaper is good for pooping but if you have a diarrhea mess, it will leak from even the best of diapers. You will need to wear a good diaper cover to catch and contain the leaking mess. I have an occasional diarrhea accident and it always leaks out of my diaper and I always wear a high quality diaper.

I use a Attends Waistband a lot of the time just because It goes up high in the back, is fairly low cost and has a lot of seat room.

oh lordy yes do i know this one.

absolutely yes about what Tundra sez--also Rennecfox is so right on about the waistband attends--reasonably priced yet they are so soft n comfy n spacious in the behind, and the waistband will surely help hold SOME poop for awhile , but woe unto you should the little string that holds the wet fluff up in there ever... let go

guess i'm lucky because i am home a lot, schedule makes a big difference (hopefully you know your bod and its urgency to plan a bit), when i feel my tummy getting gurgly at bedtime, i wear northshore Megamax (the sizing is a little large) under Baby-Pants pur plastic pants and a terrycloth lined onesy for sleep. the regular northshore plastic-backed briefs (Supreme Tab) are good too, however i like Megamax with the landing strip for quick resolution of messy nighttime fiascos (am sure this will resonate). But inexpensive they are not... certainly Tranquility ATN is a contender at half the cost but if you wind up changing your mess at 3:00 a.m. anyway, so much for savings.... and good luck finding that happy medium when you don't feel well down there and are urinary incontinent too?! probably Tranq ATNs

note, my ibs and colitis and dealing with them make me sweat... combined with diaper etc., p.u. believe it or not the inexpensive odor eliminators sold by most incontinence supply companies work very well in the short term and i am very grateful for that. if you use plastic pants like i do, consider soaking them in warm water asap, with mild fragrance if you have?! use a onesie that won't shrink ridiculously when you wash in warm (if not hot) water

Last edited:
Molecule said:
Just curious what diaper those of you that have IBS-D use?

Pretty much any higher quality disposable with leak guards. I currently wear a medium Seni Super Quattro and I like how high it comes up in the back. I average about 3 poops a day and as many as 7 on a bad day. I try to make it to the toilet, but mess around 2 to 6 times per week, sometimes more. What you are asking depends on how often you mess and how watery is your poop. Because of my bm frequency, I don't wear the highest absorbancy disposable (and, thus, most expensive) during the day. Shoot for something with leak guards in the $1.30-$1.55 per diaper price range. Also, my experience is you should be able to mitigate some of your IBS symptoms through diet. Good luck.

rennecfox said:
I use a Attends Waistband a lot of the time just because It goes up high in the back, is fairly low cost and has a lot of seat room.
Thanks for your input. Do you find that because the diaper doesn’t have a standing leak guard it can leak easier?

Spaz said:
Pretty much any higher quality disposable with leak guards. I currently wear a medium Seni Super Quattro and I like how high it comes up in the back. I average about 3 poops a day and as many as 7 on a bad day. I try to make it to the toilet, but mess around 2 to 6 times per week, sometimes more. What you are asking depends on how often you mess and how watery is your poop. Because of my bm frequency, I don't wear the highest absorbancy disposable (and, thus, most expensive) during the day. Shoot for something with leak guards in the $1.30-$1.55 per diaper price range. Also, my experience is you should be able to mitigate some of your IBS symptoms through diet. Good luck.
Does the breathable cloth make it tougher to contain the odor? I was under the impression that a plastic backing was significantly more concealing.

Molecule said:
Thanks for your input. Do you find that because the diaper doesn’t have a standing leak guard it can leak easier?
Not really, in fact the extended rise in the rear really helps with blow outs

Reactions: pottypal
Molecule said:
Does the breathable cloth make it tougher to contain the odor? I was under the impression that a plastic backing was significantly more concealing.

Not really. I'm not a big fan of the cloth-like disposables, but Seni diapers are by far the best I've tried and they don't 'weap' moisture like many other cloth-like brands. A stinker is a stinker, but if you are looking for odor containment until you can change, try a pair of vinyl pants over your diaper. Certain foods will cause your bms to smell worse than others. Lastly the product Nullo will dramatically reduce your bm odor. I've always wanted to try it and have been told it turns your poop green.

I have had ibs d for many years and my body usually gives me a warning sign before my guts start churning. Neverless I’ve used my diaper before on many occasions. From what I’ve learned the diapers that are higher quality with high leak guards/ leg gathers work best. I tend to only wear at night due to bedwetting issues but when i oversleep it kicks in and I’ve had some huge accidents before but no leakage! I use mostly ABU, Rearz, Tykables. As far as medical brands I find Nothshore products to be good as well as better drys.

Spaz said:
I second that. I find that NorthShore Supreme Lites work good, as well.

I wear Betterdry or Crinklz diapers 24/7 and had bowel issues on occasion and they kept it all contained but my accidents have been minor in size so far.

I would wear plastic pants over your diaper as a just incase any ways incase your diaper of choice falls to contain everything on occasion.

I've had a number of bouts of diarrhea (doctors weren't sure if its some form of IBD or a food allergy I've not identified). I've seen poop contained within the leak guards and I've had unfortunate blowouts on diapers without them, so I tend to think they do help a lot.

I also have occasional bouts of IBS, which is also always on the diarrhea side. When the mess is sudden, loose, or even just large, you absolutely need a diaper that has plenty of expansion room in the diaper so as to avoid blow outs. You also need to have extra tall leak guards so you don't leak while moving to go change.

For me, I have not found a better diaper than Betterdry or Crinklz.

My pre surgery colitis I wore the attends full slip. The ones that had the line of 'M' printed front to back. They helped me when i needed them. I voided a full colon of diarrhoea into one once, drove home and it didn't leak.

For diarrhea and frequent changing I would also recommend Tranquility ATN they are the best thing on the cheaper end that will still hold something. Nothing worse than having to change outta your brand new expensive high compacity diaper you just put on. with frequent accidents and changes the super high end stuff gets expensive real quick.
Also really consider plastic pants. Beneficial for so many reasons.

Confidry are very good for both urine and #2. They have a wider crotch, more room in the rear, taller leak guards and a higher rise than most diapers. They are also one of the most absorbent medical diaper out there. I guess Megamax can be considered medical. They are also good, but anything with a tape panel compromises the leg seal because the bottom tapes are too high. Diapers without tape panels allow for the best seal around the legs, which is critical for fecal incontinence.

I wear Crinklz/betterdry for my bladder issues and I can say they probably have some of the highest leakguards out there.

Reactions: Ebabyboy12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back