Diaperboy27

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I want to wear diapers more as a luxury rather than practicality 24/7 I mean I still like to wet & mess but I have other things in life I do want to do other than this & only really at home. So what I’m asking is in the long run what kind of diapers should I go for? Cloth prefolds, velcro cloth, plastic back disposable, cloth back disposable, cloth training pants, or pull ups? If so then what brand in your experience do you think is best? To top it of what plastic pants would be best?

Reactions: Cottontail
Sounds like a wide open target.

With such an open slate, it comes down to knowledge about your wetting pattern and/or your messing pattern.

Cloth diapers are a personal choice as to style, but for me, prefolded with one or two baby cloth diapers as a booster, but remember that using a diaper liner helps greatly in easing mess clean-up and not having deep stains in your cloth diapers. Will likely need to soak them from time to time for deep cleaning.

Disposables require that you choose them based on the volume and length of time you plan on wearing as each can provide different levels of absorbency.

In all cases diaper covers (plastic pants) will be a must to assure limited leaks.

Remember that since you currently have a choice whether to wear or not, work to not loose that choice. Ones health can change and wetting is commonly an indicator of a change. If you find that you are wetting with no effort or memory, see your doctor ASAP.

Reactions: Diaperboy27, Lyric and Cottontail
Diaperboy27 said:
So what I’m asking is in the long run what kind of diapers should I go for? Cloth prefolds, velcro cloth, plastic back disposable, cloth back disposable, cloth training pants, or pull ups? If so then what brand in your experience do you think is best? To top it of what plastic pants would be best?
My two favorite brands for cloth diapers are the night-weight Birdseye pre-folds from Adult Cloth Diapers website and the twill prefolds from Rearz. I find them both great for setting although I cannot speak to ease in cleaning up messings. As for plastic pants, I enjoy high-rise versions from Babykins (https://babykins.com/) and also Gary PUL pants off of Amazon.

Reactions: Diaperboy27, Lyric, Cottontail and 2 others
I have quite a few Gary PUL diaper covers , very dependable with good longevity to them, plus do have a few different colors !!

Reactions: Diaperboy27, Lyric, Cottontail and 1 other person
Rita said:
I have quite a few Gary PUL diaper covers , very dependable with good longevity to them, plus do have a few different colors !!
gary PUL diaper covers work like plastic pants, just fit better than plastic pants. Dont garys leak a little?

Reactions: Diaperboy27 and Edgewater
Fireball44 said:
gary PUL diaper covers work like plastic pants, just fit better than plastic pants. Dont garys leak a little?
Selecting the correct size helps in that regard. Overly tight or overly loose will allow leaks.
May need to increase layers with cloth diapers or upgrade the disposable's quality /capacity.

Reactions: Diaperboy27
I'm a prefold baby myself. Functionally I think they're hard to beat, although I'm sure the reason I love them so much is that I had access to them throughout my youth. During the formative years of my little side, they were the definition of "diaper." I don't often wear prefolds out of the house though. They owe their excellent performance to their bulk, but their bulk is difficult to conceal. For out-and-about wear, I've lately turned to Threaded Armor (Super Undies) pull-ups and other all-in-one (AIO) and pocket types. Those are considerably less absorbent, but they're enough to reinforce that I'm little and can't be trusted with underwear. :)

For you, coming from disposables, prefolds might be too big a leap. I don't know. Of the cloth diapers you listed, they're certainly the least like disposables.

Anyway, my favorites are the Rearz twill prefolds, followed by Baby Pants (twill, gauze), and Adult Cloth Diaper (gauze). I'm a bit of a texture freak and have never cared for the texture of Birdseye weave, but its performance is excellent. I've lately been using the Rearz diaper wraps in place of pull-on plastic pants, but I also like the Rearz pull-on covers, mainly because the leg holes and waist sizes are better matched to my body shape that many other brands. The Gary Mfg plastic pants are excellent as well.

In the realm of fitted cloth diapers, I like Threaded Armor (very expensive though) and DependEco (lots of cute prints, and they can be custom-sized). I would recommend Snap-EZ pocket diapers as well, but unfortunately they're no longer being made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaperboy27, Edgewater, Zeke and 1 other person
Like my photo I'd I use preshapped pocket nappies/diapers with an addition soaker (available from many places). Easy to put on (poppers or velcro). And easily washable and quick to dry. Some are PUL lined so are waterproof but just to be sure I prefer using with plastic pants.

Reactions: Diaperboy27, Edgewater and Cottontail
I’ve been on an exploratory journey ever since becoming dual incontinent over 7 years ago. Initially wearing disposables but quickly changing (yes I realize the innuendo) to gauze Contour II’s, then Birdseye prefolds. Currently I’m using a mix of prefolds and contours depending on the situation and my mood. As for plastic pants I must have nearly 2 dozen options at my disposal. My only recommendation to you would be to buy a small amount of various styles of both diapers and plastic pants and pay particular attention to which you prefer when you’re wearing them. Another suggestion is to wash new cloth diapers at least 3 times and once with a cup and a half of white vinegar added to the wash cycle to remove the sizing that’s applied to most new diapers. Sizing is applied to cloth to prevent staining in the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail process. Once removed and the diapers washed at least 3 times they become far more absorbent than they would be otherwise. Hope you find something that works well for you.

Reactions: Diaperboy27, Edgewater and Cottontail
Cottontail said:
I'm a prefold baby myself. Functionally I think they're hard to beat, although I'm sure the reason I love them so much is that I had access to them throughout my youth. During the formative years of my little side, they were the definition of "diaper." I don't often wear prefolds out of the house though. They owe their excellent performance to their bulk, but their bulk is difficult to conceal. For out-and-about wear, I've lately turned to Threaded Armor (Super Undies) pull-ups and other all-in-one (AIO) and pocket types. Those are considerably less absorbent, but they're enough to reinforce that I'm little and can't be trusted with underwear. :)

For you, coming from disposables, prefolds might be too big a leap. I don't know. Of the cloth diapers you listed, they're certainly the least like disposables.

Anyway, my favorites are the Rearz twill prefolds, followed by Baby Pants (twill, gauze), and Adult Cloth Diaper (gauze). I'm a bit of a texture freak and have never cared for the texture of Birdseye weave, but its performance is excellent. I've lately been using the Rearz diaper wraps in place of pull-on plastic pants, but I also like the Rearz pull-on covers, mainly because the leg holes and waist sizes are better matched to my body shape that many other brands. The Gary Mfg plastic pants are excellent as well.

In the realm of fitted cloth diapers, I like Threaded Armor (very expensive though) and DependEco (lots of cute prints, and they can be custom-sized). I would recommend Snap-EZ pocket diapers as well, but unfortunately they're no longer being made.
I suspect that you’re like me and miss the old days when clotheslines throughout the towns and countryside were filled with prefolds and flats accompanied by plastic pants blowing in the breeze. I hauled bulk milk farm pickup for a few years when my wife and I lived in the farm house on her father’s farm after we were first married and we had sold our semi tractor. Coming home on a sunny day with the wind blowing lightly and seeing my wife had washed the kid’s diapers and hung them out on the clothesline made me smile and meant that I would be helping her fold them and bring them in. They always smelled so fresh, especially when compared to how they smelled when they were sitting in the diaper pail in our bathroom or coming off our children’s bottoms!

Reactions: Diaperboy27 and Edgewater
Cottontail said:

Yea my plan is to get the grabby bag from tykables first see how I like disposables on the adult size, then I want to try cloth with the rearz prefolds, & go on from there but before all of that I wanted to ask for everyone’s experience on the matter since I’ve never tried a real Adult sized Diaper.

Reactions: Edgewater and Cottontail
Zeke said:
I’ve been on an exploratory journey ever since becoming dual incontinent over 7 years ago. Initially wearing disposables but quickly changing (yes I realize the innuendo) to gauze Contour II’s, then Birdseye prefolds. Currently I’m using a mix of prefolds and contours depending on the situation and my mood. As for plastic pants I must have nearly 2 dozen options at my disposal. My only recommendation to you would be to buy a small amount of various styles of both diapers and plastic pants and pay particular attention to which you prefer when you’re wearing them. Another suggestion is to wash new cloth diapers at least 3 times and once with a cup and a half of white vinegar added to the wash cycle to remove the sizing that’s applied to most new diapers. Sizing is applied to cloth to prevent staining in the manufacturing, wholesale, and retail process. Once removed and the diapers washed at least 3 times they become far more absorbent than they would be otherwise. Hope you find something that works well for you.
Thank you for the tip I’ll keep that in mind once I get there👌

Reactions: Edgewater
Back