Not open for further replies.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
I don't know if this is even possible, but since many of our polls around here aren't very suited for standard bar graphs Does VB have a ball curve Graphing method?
This would be much easier to read, and much better representation of our community then our current Poll method.

Just floating this...

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
What do you mean? If you give an example, I guess it helps.

But You could add-on code that will dynamically generate an image from data on the site, yes. But It's basically finding a supported add-on for vB that is really needed. I think it is unlikely.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well, the visualization of a bell-curve would require a few things:

1) Likely more than two options per poll;
2) a lot more members (maybe a few hundred) who submit responses to polls;
3) Important polls.

Most of the polls we have are just for fun, and I think the visualization we have now works just fine enough for what it does.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
The only one I've seen lately that shows the bell curve is the length and it shows it good enough.

Explain a little better what you want said script to do.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
The only one I've seen lately that shows the bell curve is the length and it shows it good enough.

Explain a little better what you want said script to do.

Say, we have a poll like this one here The Graph represents a very large spectrum that is better measured by a bell curve.

Like this one, it is a much better representation of what I think would be a good way to present poll results (for select polls).

Yes copy pasted out of Excel... so sue me.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Turn your head to the side and you'll see the same.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer

I'm surprised the forum software allows messages that short and insignificant.

Keep in mind however, Drew, that not all poll results are normally distributed and thus form a bell curve. In fact, some poll results may be evenly distributed over all possible answers, while others could have two peaks.
Thus I assume you're inquiring about a different way to display the poll results - not in a bar chart but rather in a continuous curve as per your own example. However, to answer that question, I will have to refer you to either Moo or anyone with a knowledge of different options for the VB software.

Peachy

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I think what you want is a histogram, not a bell curve. Except, instead of using bars you want to put a spline through the tip of each bar in its center. This could be cool for numeric answers, but I'm not sure it makes much sense for general poll options.

For most polls I don't think we get enough responses to make a reasonable bell curve, not to mention the data may not even be well-suited for one. However, a bell curve might work well for things like "how tall are you?", or "at what age did you start wearing diapers again?".

But, in many polls, the answers are not numeric, so I'm not sure how you turn that into a bell curve :confused:.

Status
Not open for further replies.