Bedwetting as a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both daytime and night until I was 9, then bed till mid teens. Nappies and plastic pants were the solution.

Reactions: Jim100
Luvshugs said:
I’ve told my story lots of times.
I wet the bed till about 6, maybe later. All I had was a plastic sheet, to protect the mattress. My mom got me potty trained, (about 2.5-3) and out of cloth diapers, and was not going back! She thought, if I went back into night diapers, I wouldn’t stop wetting the bed. So on nights I wet, I’d wake up, go down the hall, wake my mom, and in the process my dad 🤭 Then back to my room, strip, while mom pulled the wet sheets and covers off my bed. She would throw everything into the wash basket, then clean me up, get new underwear, and pj’s. Put new sheets on, then I could climb back in. Now I had to try and fall back to sleep, her too. I always felt bad, having to wake my mom up. And, I hated that noisy plastic sheet, LOTS! It always screamed BEDWETTER HERE! I had an older sister, who loved to torment me, any way she could, and my bedwetting was no exception. My mom, if she heard it, would scold her, but this was not always so. The funny part, even back before all this, I knew I liked diapers and plastic pantie. But, I was always scared, I would get put back into them, for my bedwetting. It was a matter of pride, everyone always said, only babies wear diapers. I was no baby! And you couldn’t conceive of any friends, cousins, school kids finding out you wore plastic baby pant. The plastic sheet was bad enough.
Later, as I got older, and thought about it. I thought diapers would have been much better, and wished my mom would have used them. As long as things are kept hidden. I was so happy, and grateful, that my bedwetting stopped when it did. I got off kinda easy on that point. Lots of kids, as is evident here, go on much longer.
I’ve repeated this before but it parallels your childhood in many ways. I had several of your experiences in common but reacted differently to my mother’s offer of diapers. I’m not sure at what age I was potty trained but I had a bed wetting problem until I was about 10. I also remember being caught wearing plastic pants by the elderly lady my folks hired as my daytime babysitter while they both worked. For some reason as far back as I can remember I’ve loved plastic pants but had little interest in diapers and I was in this babysitter’s bathroom when she came in to see why I was taking so long. She saw me wearing plastic pants she gave me a chewing out that I remember these 60 plus years later. A few years later I remember mom asking what I thought we should do about my bed wetting problem and I suggested trying plastic pants again. She felt that they would do little good by themselves and that diapers were needed to absorb the liquid. At that time this wasn’t something that I wanted to try so we continued on with the plastic mattress protector and soaked bedding. A few years later I started a life of crime and began stealing plastic pants from my parents friend’s diaper pails or diapering supplies as well as neighborhood clotheslines and later included stores. Once I was caught removing Gerber plastic pants from a clothesline that I had “hit” a few weeks earlier much to my embarrassment. Fortunately this never got back to my folks. Puberty really increased my need for additional stock and this continued until my 20s. Now that I’m incontinent I’ve learned the wisdom that my mom shared about the diaper being needed to soak up the liquid as plastic pants are there only to separate the wet diaper from the dry surfaces you contact. With an adequate diaper(s) you won’t leak, without an adequate diaper(s) no plastic pant can retain the liquid through the night to prevent leaking. Stay padded.

Reactions: Luvshugs
I did not bedwet, however my brother did and I fully believe that is where my desire for diapers began. I took his pull-ups and would wear them sometimes.
Parents were fine with his bedwetting but I didn't ever tell them I wanted to wear pull-ups (or really diapers) They did catch me in a pull-up once and I was made to sleep in it and they had me come in and checked to see if I was still dry in the morning (I was)

Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998
jojokelly said:
I wet the bed until age 12; with the occasional night until 13. My mom did her best to get me to wear a diaper at night, but I just tore it off after she left my bedroom. The bed wetting alarm never woke me up, so forgot that! I had a plastic mattress protector and towels underneath me. My parents never abused or shamed me regarding bed wetting.
I had a n alarm for a while it woke everyone else but me.

Reactions: richard3 and Jim100
ST50 said:
You were a sound sleeper. A bomb could go off in your room you would roll over and still sleep. It happens to some people until they wake up easier it’s not anyone’s fault it’s just the way things happen. Now I wake up very easy it is my training that causes it even though I have no knowledge of my bladder or #2. But oh well I’ll get over it.

Jim100 said:
You were a sound sleeper. A bomb could go off in your room you would roll over and still sleep. It happens to some people until they wake up easier it’s not anyone’s fault it’s just the way things happen. Now I wake up very easy it is my training that causes it even though I have no knowledge of my bladder or #2. But oh well I’ll get over it.
Yes by the time the alarm woke me I had wet the bed and woke everyone in the house.

Reactions: richard3, SpacemanJack and Jim100
ladyofshadows said:
Since this thread is entitled "Bedwetting as a child", I am sure I and anyone else reading it could be forgiven for assuming that you are talking about wetting your bed when you were children.

How in the world could you possibly hide this from your parents? Didn't your parents ever come into your room and smell the pee? Didn't they ever change your sheets? If not, and you were left at a very young age to change your own bedding, and wash bedding and clothes, then to my mind it amounts to child abuse.

The mind boggles!
I too cannot understand how anyone could hide bedwetting from their parents.

I wet the bed a few times when I was 5-6 years old. I would just put a few towels over the wet spot, cover it with blankets and hope it dried by nighttime. My mother never brought it up so I think she never found out.

Bedwet well into my teens. Had a red hospital rubber sheet on my bed and wore terry nappies with at first rubber and then plastic pants. Mother and older sister helped with the nappies up until I could do it myself.

ST50 said:
Same thing here. I still cringe at the thought of that alarm. I think it was actually counter-productive as I just slept as little as possible to avoid it going off.

Reactions: SpacemanJack and Jim100
I was not the fasted potty trained but managed to survive.Then one night while we were in a cabin with my dad doing out of town job I wet the bed one night about 13 and since my younger sister was in the same bed they though she did it.

I would wet the bed occasionally up until I was 5 or 6. After that it stopped, until I hit my mid 30s

Reactions: Zeke
I wet the bed regularly until I was 16ish, I occasionally did until I was 17. My mother never mentioned it that I remember. It was my grandmother on my Dad's side that did. I wore diapers, well essentially training pants and plastic pants, when ever I stayed at her place. Parents split up when I 5ish. I can remember wearing them until I was 6 or 7 until my Dad left the area. Didn't see him again until I went to live with him when I was 13. My grandparents lived with him in the winter. It didn't take long and I was wearing a diaper at 13.

ST50 said:
I had an alarm and it also woke my family up but not me which is why I was put in goodnites at 9 and I remember them being thick not like they are now but these was the 90s version of them

I wet every night until I was 7 or 8. I wet less and less over time but never was completely dry. I wore a diaper every night until I was only wetting a few times a year, and even then I diapered when I was away from home.

I started again wetting nightly when I was a teenager. My mother suggested that I go back into diapers so I could get a good night's sleep and to save on laundry. After a few wet nights, I agreed.

My mom made my diapers. My dad never said anything. My grandmother hinted to me that he wet the bed until he was a teenager.

I wasn't the only one in the family. All my siblings all wet the bed until at least school age. At least two of them diapered until they were teenagers. I was the only one who wet regularly past age 16. It was a little odd to diaper when my younger siblings didn't.

I was potty trained from a young age but around the age of 4 I began to suffer from constipation and bladder issues. I would not go to the toilet, sometimes for days but eventually your body cannot hold it any longer and so accidents happened. This was more psychological than anything else as age 5 I spent several days in hospital under observation and having tests only for my parents to be told that physically there was nothing wrong with me. During this time I often wore a pull up or training pants when we left the house but my parents always tried to encourage me to use the toilet whenever it appeared I needed to go, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I wasn't ever really a bed wetter, it would happen during the day. I felt it coming but I just just tried to hold it.

When I started school I was still wearing pull ups but other kids started to suspect and tease me. Thankfully, my family moved house and when starting a new school I stopped wearing pull ups, I didn't want other kids to start teasing me again. As far as I remember I never had any accidents at school, but I remember it happening going to school and having to go back home to get changed or having to rush home afterwards. I always avoided going to friends houses in case couldn't make it to the toilet, instead inviting them to my house. I always felt more secure being at home, especially when I was allowed to wear a pull up, it became a safety blanket for me but at the same time my parents didn't want this to become to the norm and were trying to get me out of them so only allowed me to wear them when I was having frequent accidents.
I started to meet with a child psychiatrist and after several years the problem disappeared, I think around the age of 9 or 10, and I started being able to use the toilet regularly.

Reactions: Luvshugs and DiaperedBedwetter1998
I hit a quote on accident couldn’t get rid of it do this is a nothing please forgive me.

I wet the bed as a child until I was about ten. My dad started making me get up in the middle of the night and use the bathroom, whether I thought I needed to or not. Regardless if I was dry or not. I hated this, my parents are divorced, so I enjoyed not being woken up at my moms. I guess my dad's way of doing things worked eventually. I then started wetting the bed again not even a year later and loved being back in Pampers Underjams, or Goodnites. I have since graduated to adult diapers. As a kid my mom was very supportive and after I started wetting again my dad also was supportive.

Reactions: Luvshugs and Jim100
ladyofshadows said:
Since this thread is entitled "Bedwetting as a child", I am sure I and anyone else reading it could be forgiven for assuming that you are talking about wetting your bed when you were children.

How in the world could you possibly hide this from your parents? Didn't your parents ever come into your room and smell the pee? Didn't they ever change your sheets? If not, and you were left at a very young age to change your own bedding, and wash bedding and clothes, then to my mind it amounts to child abuse.

The mind boggles!

You are right in thinking that it was child abuse, I too wet the bed on accident until i was around 6 or 7 , and then would wet often after that on purpose, I can never remember being told anything about it , I do remember that my bed was always soiled and never changed it just dried between wetting , my room smelled strongly of pee and strangely enough it was very comforting thing for me , my parents were both drunks and made no effort to care for me or my siblings we just did as we pleased for the most part, I cannot tell you how messed up I have always been about bed-wetting

• Sad
Reactions: MajesticHamster
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back