Bedbug problem advice?

Maromi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaperfur
Guys I have a serious problem. I just got a new mattress and already I have bedbugs for the second time and I can't afford a exterminator and I don't know where I am getting them from. The food bank or dollar general or the grocery store or the neighbors outdoor cats. Problem is I need these places to survive but can't afford to keep buying bug bomb every month.

I just dumped a ton of my plushies because I don't know if they survived on them either, and bagged my other ones up to kill the others. So I trashed a 5' teddy bear and 2 other plushies. And now I can't have any plushies. And have to wash my sheets if the laundromat is even open. I don't know what to do. I can spray pesticide yeah, $5 a month, but then I hafto bomb for roaches, $5 a month, then I risk just getting them again anyway because I want to find out where I am getting them in the first place which should be a public health hazard anyway especially right now.

Any advice?

We've had bedbugs and it took 2 treatments from an exterminator to get rid of them. Are you renting? It may be the landlord's responsibility to pay for it. You did the right thing by ditching your stuffies. If you buy a previously loved stuffy from a yard sale or thrift store be aware that bedbugs can and do hitchhike on them.

Reactions: Maromi
Get a bedbug bomb. Clear the room. Get a bedbug trap on each foot of your bed and an encasement mattress cover. No bedbugs will even touch me. You can get a new mattress all you want they can keep coming back ESPECIALLY if the bed is in a corner if the wall.

The encasement matress cover surrounds the entire matress on all sides and zips up and is astonishing how effective it is

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy and Maromi
I agree with the zip up mattress cover I had bed bugs once used that on both my mattress and they make them for pillows to I also put a bed bug trap under the mattress and made sure to vacuum regularly good luck they suck

Safariwolf said:
I agree with the zip up mattress cover I had bed bugs once used that on both my mattress and they make them for pillows to I also put a bed bug trap under the mattress and made sure to vacuum regularly good luck they suck
An addition to this, make sure that if you live in a hot environment that either they are still breathable or you have a way of keeping your sheets cool. (Such as bamboo sheets or something- sometimes poor quality encasement cases can trap heat pretty bad or ne crinkly. (I mean crinkly is not a bad thing but if your doing that mabey look out for a waterproof kind while your at it)

Thank you guys for all the support. My spirits are lifted, and having a cheerful birthday.

• Love
Reactions: Sleepybrandon
Nem0 said:
Thank you guys for all the support. My spirits are lifted, and having a cheerful birthday.

Well happy birthday! Sorry you have bedbugs. That sounds horrible. The zip-up mattress cover sounds like a great idea.

• Love
Reactions: Sleepybrandon and Maromi
Get some daitomaceous earth it's white like a powder it's safe people have eaten it to get rid of worms but that crap kills anything that comes across it it's like micro shards of glass that will cut up little bugs all the way to spiders even I had bed bugs and I put that stuff everywhere then some on my bed with a plastic cover and after 2 weeks no bed bugs and again it's safe so you don't have to worry about pets getting into it or anything

You are going to need an exterminator. Trust me from experience, no product you can buy at Walmart is going to do anything. I had a roommate who moved in knowing he had them and it was hell. Just shell out the money

Reactions: DippyDawg
boostergold said:
You are going to need an exterminator. Trust me from experience, no product you can buy at Walmart is going to do anything. I had a roommate who moved in knowing he had them and it was hell. Just shell out the money
I politely disagree with that people that have bad infestations pay hundred or possibly thousands of dollars and some say heck and just move but long time ago we had a bad infestation and what we did put two sided tape on the doorways and base of the bed, get bedbug spray and four bowls move the bed from the wall fill the bowls with bed bug killer and put all fours bed legs in it, covers the beds with plastic and my favorite part daitomaceous earth spread that crap everywhere around the edges of your wall, under the plastic on your bed, under your bed just wherever they will run to it will be very messy but it will destroy bugs lots of bugs like ants, spiders and more and it's very safe for us we where bed bug free in a month for $50 oh then at my new place I had a minor outbreak yeah all I did was the plastic bed sheets and daitomaceous earth and boom gone

ShadowFox141 said:
I politely disagree with that people that have bad infestations pay hundred or possibly thousands of dollars and some say heck and just move but long time ago we had a bad infestation and what we did put two sided tape on the doorways and base of the bed, get bedbug spray and four bowls move the bed from the wall fill the bowls with bed bug killer and put all fours bed legs in it, covers the beds with plastic and my favorite part daitomaceous earth spread that crap everywhere around the edges of your wall, under the plastic on your bed, under your bed just wherever they will run to it will be very messy but it will destroy bugs lots of bugs like ants, spiders and more and it's very safe for us we where bed bug free in a month for $50 oh then at my new place I had a minor outbreak yeah all I did was the plastic bed sheets and daitomaceous earth and boom gone
Then you most likely still have them

boostergold said:
Then you most likely still have them
The bid infection was like 15 years ago at another place and here I haven't seen one for a year and half

Back