Bed Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firehawk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Well after waking up this morning to a wet bed despite wearing a nappy and sleeping on a quilted bed protector which had bunched up under me during the night I have decided to go back to putting a sheet of plastic over the mattress just like I had when I was a child. I would like something better but until I can afford it I'll have to go with the rustling sound of the plastic sheet.

What does everyone use to protect their bed?

Cheers FH

a waterproof dust cover
a waterproof mattress cover
a large bed pad
a sheet
my diaper

in reverse order...so 5 levels of protection for the mattress.

I use a heavy waterproof mattress cover, a quilted bed pad under where I sleep, a sheet, and my diaper. Both my mattress and I are well protected. The mattress cover does not rustle or make noise.

My 1001st Post!!!

Bed is an extremely important part of our burrow.

Our new king bed has a pillow top mattress topped by a memory foam topper and a feather bed.

Next comes a 2 control heated mattress pad, a Serta waterproof cover and our sheets.

I use washable 4 chux pads on my side of the bed during the week.

On my wife's weekend, the bottom sheet is covered with 10 over-lapped chux pad, all covered by another fitted sheet (as we tend to get quite sloggy together).

I do love the summer! I wash a great deal of bedding and diapers and always seem to have a full clothes line.

We have the following in place
Water proff Mattress protector that also covers the side of the bed
Then the sheet
Then a sheet folded a few times that go's across the bed
Then my reusable absorbant pad 30"X 54"

I wear dry 24/7's for my diaper

This has worked great for us as most times if I leak I just grab the pad and go change and return with a fresh pad and my wife Most time never wakes up.

About the same for me ,, fitted waterproof vinyl cover, fitter waterproof quilted padding fitted quilted paddings , sheets and a dry 24/7 keeps all wetness on my side of bed and protects the mattress

chamberpot said:
About the same for me ,, fitted waterproof vinyl cover, fitter waterproof quilted padding fitted quilted paddings , sheets and a dry 24/7 keeps all wetness on my side of bed and protects the mattress

Thanks chamberpot. I like the idea of the vinyl cover will have to find one of those. I don't mind the sound the plastic makes as it dose bring back some childhood memories and I have to protect this mattress more so as it doesn't belong to me.

FH

You can buy from Babykins a sheet of fabric that has a rubber center,both sides are soft and comfy and its just a little stiffer than a regular sheet, it will absorb any leakage without passing it to the bed and is machine washable, it takkes the place of ordinary rubber sheet and cotton sheet all in one. They also sell rubber sheeting if you want to protect the mattress and use regular sheets. You buy both by the yard. I have a very expensive Medical memory foam mattress on my bed so i use both just to be sure because this mattress will just drink up anything leaked on it and you will never get the smell out, and replacement of the original cover costs like $700, my solution is cheaper less than $40 buck, thats s big freakin savings!

I found a fully encased waterproof bed cover at Wal-Mart for around 40 -50 $ and that has been great. Its not plastic so it doesn't eventually wear out or crease and crack and rip. After that comes the the washable under pad, I forgot how many inches but its a goodly size, and then the regular sheets on top. I rarely leak (unless I'm being lazy) and when I do its not much so I don't wash the pad more then once a week or so.

Yes, cover the mattress with a plastic sheet to not get pee-pee on it.

Firehawk said:
Thanks chamberpot. I like the idea of the vinyl cover will have to find one of those. I don't mind the sound the plastic makes as it dose bring back some childhood memories and I have to protect this mattress more so as it doesn't belong to me.

FH
Dont by a cheap walmart or store brand vinyl cover they do not last to thin.
Look for a good thick vinyl one.
The store ones last me a month or two then they get brittle tear out.

I just use regular old plastic or vinyl mattress protectors from pharmacies or Wal-Mart. I don't mind the crinkle at all myself since I spent a little over 2 years in inpatient psyciatric care when I was 16 to 18 and the beds they use on psych wards just have that anyways, so I eventually got used to the crinkling from back then.

I have a washable waterproof sheet from aldi - my nappies only rearly leak as they are very high capacity, but when it does happen the pad protects the mattess

foxkits said:
Dont by a cheap walmart or store brand vinyl cover they do not last to thin.
Look for a good thick vinyl one.
The store ones last me a month or two then they get brittle tear out.

Thanks foxkits I'll be sure to keep that in mind and thanks to everyone else, it's all been great advice.

FH

If you have the matteras well protected and use a bed pad then leaks aren't really a problem. I don't worry about waking in a wet patch any more.

One waterproof sheet (the washable quilted style that go across the centre third-or-so of the bed that are disgustingly unbreathable), followed by one "normal" bed sheet, and under that; one waterproof mattress protector (not the quilted style, or overly plasticky, had it since I was young and don't remember where it's from, but it's always worked for me). That generally does the trick: I can only think of one or two times when it's failed, mainly due to me pulling one of the layers off in the summer heat.

Firehawk said:
Thanks foxkits I'll be sure to keep that in mind and thanks to everyone else, it's all been great advice.

FH

Yeah, the Wal-Mart vinyl mattress covers don't last very long, maybe a couple weeks at most before the vinyl gets stiff and eventually just ruptures.

I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed.

I have a bed pad which I use at home and carry with me when sleeping elsewhere.

I am getting a waterproof sheet.

Fully encased, zippered vinyl mattress protector. I had one of these as a kid until age 11 but it was not fully encased, only tucked over the edges which rode up a lot and drove me nuts as it bunched up beneath me from time to time. I would like to find a mattress cover that has action figures on it or some cool pattern (camo?). I found one online but the design was not "cool enough" like action figures or a "zippy pattern".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back