Bed bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolfCub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has anyone dealt with Bed Bugs? I'm battling these evil little monsters. Any tips are welcome. Please give links to expert advice.

MysticalMelody

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Thankfully no. I have however been told by customers that raid bed bug spay does NOT work!

A few documentaries, such as "Infested" on Discovery point them as near impossible to remove. Temperatures over 110* will fry them I believe, and they do not freeze to death.

Sorry I have no links to share- I'm typing from a cell phone :(

IzzyFox

Rupert Spankyscales
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I have never had to deal with these pests, and I truly hope I will never have to deal with them. I don't know much about combating them, but I have been told that exterminating them involves heating your home to high temperatures (around the range mentioned above by MysticalMelody). At any rate, you are most likely going to need the services of an exterminator to eliminate such pests.

EPO1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
No I have not...
But honestly, If it ever happens I'll get in the car, drive to the next place where they sell quality mattresses & bedding... and buy a new one.
Get two liters of gasoline and fry the old one. (well, I guess I'll just drop it off at a recycling facility.... ..but firing it up would be funnier if quite unhealthy / polluting).

Seriously, I wouldn't want to spray my bed with any pesticides and stuff... that would not be a bed I'd like to sleep in anymore.

S

Starrunner

I'm posting a link below from the City of Ottawa web site. Bed bugs have been a big problem here. Best advice: get a professional contractor to do the work properly.

[video]http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/public-health/healthy-living/bed-bugs[/video]

Scaramouche

Lover of Life, Singer of Songs
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've known two people with bed bug problems. They are extremely hard to get rid of and do need professionals to get rid of them. They do no stay just in your bed, they get in your closet, carpet, furniture and since they like wood, they get into the walls. As mentioned above, extreme heat is what the exterminators use. You will need to wash all your clothes, too. You will need to move out for a day or two while they heat your house up. Good luck to you. Bed bugs are one of my worst nightmares and I take precautions whenever I travel.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
My mom noticed some. She got a new bed and replaced the rug in her room. So far, there haven't been anymore around at her house.

TheWolfEmperor

Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Research and prepare to hire a professional exterminator. It's all you can do. Be prepared to throw some stuff out too and while your house is being sprayed, wash and bag everything.

I say research because you want to make sure you're going to have an honest relationship with the guy, because you're going to have to spray a couple of times a year. I say this from recent and very unwanted experience. Thank god for my landlady who is contractually obligated to spray the house if we report seeing the little sonsofbitches.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Has anyone dealt with Bed Bugs? I'm battling these evil little monsters. Any tips are welcome. Please give links to expert advice.

Research and prepare to hire a professional exterminator. It's all you can do. Be prepared to throw some stuff out too and while your house is being sprayed, wash and bag everything.

This. Unfortunately.

I haven't had to deal with bedbugs, but I had an ant infestation once, and that was bad enough.

JazzBaby

Just Another Diapered Brony
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
I've never had to deal with bed bugs. So I don't know that much about dealing with them.

A

acorn

No I have not...
But honestly, If it ever happens I'll get in the car, drive to the next place where they sell quality mattresses & bedding... and buy a new one.
Get two liters of gasoline and fry the old one. (well, I guess I'll just drop it off at a recycling facility.... ..but firing it up would be funnier if quite unhealthy / polluting).

Seriously, I wouldn't want to spray my bed with any pesticides and stuff... that would not be a bed I'd like to sleep in anymore.
To end up with an infested home, all you have to do is overnight in a hotel. If the room you stay in is infected there is a chance you will bring them home in your suitcase or whatever baggage you're carrying, bedbugs are good travellers, unfortunately. As the others have said the problem is not confined to your bed (bed = dinner table) once they take up residence. Wonder where you are at with your pyromaniac tactics now you are armed with the full scale of the problem.

PS: Don't panic peoples, acorn has already phoned 911.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Clean, then Clean, then clean everything again. Then for the mattress place it in a very large plastic bag, then add a few pounds of Dry Ice, then seal the bag but lose enough for the extra CO2 to escape. Leave it in there for about four days.

IT is a pain but that is the only non-exterminator trick I have heard of.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
I had a friend of mine who had bed bugs recently- my old apartment complex was lousy with them and I was one of the lucky ones who did not have them. When I first lived there, the danged things were unheard of and then in the past five years but the past few years they are prevailant in my old apartment complex. I moved two years ago and since I moved two or three friends in my old apartment have had the bloodsuckers.

One friend had to have an exterminator go in multiple time, another had to replace his matress and his dad threatened to sue the apartment complex if they did not replace the carpet and another had to have his home health aides clean the place thoroughly.

I NEVER want to run into bed bugs- ugh... shudder.

WildThing121675

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Not entirely sure if we've ever had them, but you can get all kinds of creepy crawlies hitching a ride on the wind, and on the wind of your life and purchases.
Dettol will kill and deter most; use when laundering (as well as washing at 60C +) and also as a diluted spray, utilizing any old spray gun.
Also, since I started using polyester-ish fleeces for my bedding (including covering the pillow), I've not seen any insects mooching about my bed, even with my window wide open in summer. I think it may be to do with the static, but haven't looked into it.

S

Starrunner

Golfcub, do you own your property or are you renting it? If you're renting then it would be the landlord's responsibility to deal with this problem.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
If you're in an apartment block probably the whole place may need treatment.

The advice you have had so far sounds right, find somewhere else to stay for a few days while the professionals go their thing, wash, dry and immediately bag all your clothes and linens before you move them.

I think they are sneaky little buggers, put a hairdryer on an extension cord, a lamp in the middle of your room and turn off the rest of your lights and wait for them to scamper out of the edges of the carpet.... Either that or be proactive cooking the edges of your bedroom (careful not to start a fire or burn out the hairdryer.)

Best of luck to get rid of these blood suckers.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
No I have not...

Wouldn't work. They can hide in the carpets, walls, computer casings, etc. Pretty much 20 feet from bedding, sofas, recliners, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Golfcub, do you own your property or are you renting it? If you're renting then it would be the landlord's responsibility to deal with this problem.

Only if the bedbugs were already there to begin with, least that's how I'd judge it. The whole bedbug thing in the last 10-20 years was due to hotel's not properly cleaning and people not taking percautions. There was even a news story recently that a BART train in the California bay area had bedbugs in some of it's cars. Thankfully they are getting new cars/trains without stupid upholstery seating.

1. move into spotless place
2. Contract bedbugs
3. Release bedbugs, let them do their thing.
4. threaten to sue landlord
5.???
6.Profit!

keithandre1

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
i have with them a once !!! i rent my house weekends and stay in my camper, I keep a plastic zippered mattress cover to protect it from them as well as wetting issues!! I wash all sheets blankets etc in hot/cold cycle and flea bomb after every rental to be safe it worked when i was infested and do every time just to be safe!! i would wash everything clothes in your room hot water !! and maybe you got them from somewhere else!!! and brought home?

A

acorn

This. Unfortunately.

I haven't had to deal with bedbugs, but I had an ant infestation once, and that was bad enough.
I've heard that the un-popped kernels for popcorn are the best cure for ants. You are meant to grind them down to a fine powder and leave it in piles on ant trails or near the nest. The ants are supposed to bring it back to feed the queen, it is said when she eats enough of it she will bloat and die. I can't vouch for this, but it is worth a try where you may have children or pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.