Ban on animated avatars should apply to sigpix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I tried to add an animated gif after my 2 existing sigpics (said animated gif =
and the system said the file was too big (grump.) (BTW a certain "Mew" assured me the ban on animated gifs is only applicable to avatars. Maybe it should be sigpics too (?) as they function similarly to an avatar pic. (I assume the ban has to do with not wanting to host unnecessary filesizes: an animation in 1 post (or a few, if it's quoted) is one thing; hosting a big file on every post of a given user would inflate the forum's volume of data without content to show for it.) I had previously assumed the ban was for aesthetic reasons: that animations can be annoying, and seeing the same animation constantly could get very annoying.

E

Error404

That and the fact that a carefully crafted GIF can be used to inject code into servers, PHP scripts, SQL and in some rare occasions, call VB script from an external server to launch an attack upon load.

This relies on vulnerabilities and bad coding, but it's still a risk all the same.

It mainly relies on how the server handles the image, I believe.

View this for information.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=669625#post669625

Old info is old, but still info all the same. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
But why would a malware-gif be any more dangerous in an avatar (or sigpic) than anywhere else? Why allow them at all if they could carry harmful code?

Ah, I looked at your reference, 404, and among the gobbledegook and bafflegab (I am not a programmer) I noticed there were some avatar-specific references... So you are correct that avatars somehow carry more vulnerability than other image-spots...

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Personally, I don't want anything animated (except maybe the occasional smily) on a forum as it will distract the reader's attention from the thing that matters most: People's messages!

Peachy

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Personally, I don't want anything animated (except maybe the occasional smily) on a forum as it will distract the reader's attention from the thing that matters most: People's messages!

Peachy
Quoted for truthery.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I would like to see them gone from anything always showing in threads, that means avatars but also signature pictures.

Certain animations I don't mind but you can't allow some but disallow others that's simply impossible so I say total ban.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover

Peachy
I agree 100%. I find that they are really distracting and it takes me longer to read a post if there is an animated avatar or sig pic because I keep being drawn to it.

S

Secret

I agree 100%. I find that they are really distracting and it takes me longer to read a post if there is an animated avatar or sig pic because I keep being drawn to it.
I second the motion.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Yes... the ban should apply to all animations 100%. These pages take long enough to load as it is... without every Tom, Dick, & Harry having 2-5 megs of animated pics in their signature. You let one person get away with it... soon everyone is doing it.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well I think some animations are fine, as long as they are small and subtle...Such as Ben's avatar...But anything that is obviously distracting should be banned

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Pojo, the problem with that is: Who decides what is alright and what is too much?

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I can use gifs in the white list that is emotions. I am sure there are several out there that animate. I have a few gripes about those. But as the offending gifs arn't used much. I won't bother complaining.

But yes, I do support that a rule be implemented for no GIFs/Animated Avatars or sigs. I don't really care for load speeds, but they spoil the page and it makes things disorganized and out of proportion.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If we do that, then the newbies that want to have animated avatars will bitch and complain.

You can't have it so no one will complain...Not that many people have/make animated avatars on here anyway...I only know of about 2 or 3, so it's not like it's a huge problem or anything

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Pick a mod and and give them the power to say what is allowed and what isn't.
That'll cause a lot of fussing

Keep what animated avatars we have, as they are...And don't allow anymore
You can't have it so no one will complain...Not that many people have/make animated avatars on here anyway...I only know of about 2 or 3, so it's not like it's a huge problem or anything
Animated avatars are forbidden so all that are found will be removed. See the post in the announcement forum. As far as I know all of them are gone right now.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Animated avatars are forbidden so all that are found will be removed. See the post in the announcement forum. As far as I know all of them are gone right now.

I've read the thing...But I don't know that much on the whole back story of it...Why was there such a huge problem with them?

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
There was already a rule against them made by the community while on TBDL. People only found a way around what should prevent people from uploading animated GIFs as avatars. So until that's fixed we're manually removing all animated GIFs.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh...Why is it taking so long for anything to actually be done about them? I mean...Even a mod had one...

Status
Not open for further replies.