Back problems and IC

HalMidLife

Contributor
Messages
206
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi I'm curious to know who else has either IC that is exacerbated by a bad back, or IC caused by one? In my case, I have persistent dribbles, not caused by my bad back, and I've been dealing with that for 7+ years by wearing pull ups or diapers. I'm not bothered by that at this point in life - it "is what it is".

That said, for the past year or so, my back has been getting worse, and I've noticed an uptick in bladder leaks when I get a pinch in my lower back (I have disc issues) and...much more concerning and recent..#2 release as well. It has happened one time already (thankfully I was home) when my back gave out and I dropped to my knees and pooped a little bit. The timing was bad because I had red wine the night before, and my bowels were a bit "off". But anyway, since then, I've had a few other close calls.

Has anyone else experienced this? In my case, I'm not quite 50, so I'm feeling a bit young to be messing myself...or perhaps I just need to quit the red wine and all will be well, haha...
 
  • Like
Reactions: LordDuque, Angelapinks, BABYTIGERCUB and 2 others
I've suffered from a bad back on and off since the age of 17. When my back is bad, there's certainly a greater chance of marking or messing my underwear, also leaking. I rarely use diapers and nearly always just a case of getting to the toilet as soon as I can and changing when possible (although I do sometimes forget :rolleyes:).
 
HalMidLife said:
Hi I'm curious to know who else has either IC that is exacerbated by a bad back, or IC caused by one? In my case, I have persistent dribbles, not caused by my bad back, and I've been dealing with that for 7+ years by wearing pull ups or diapers. I'm not bothered by that at this point in life - it "is what it is".

That said, for the past year or so, my back has been getting worse, and I've noticed an uptick in bladder leaks when I get a pinch in my lower back (I have disc issues) and...much more concerning and recent..#2 release as well. It has happened one time already (thankfully I was home) when my back gave out and I dropped to my knees and pooped a little bit. The timing was bad because I had red wine the night before, and my bowels were a bit "off". But anyway, since then, I've had a few other close calls.

Has anyone else experienced this? In my case, I'm not quite 50, so I'm feeling a bit young to be messing myself...or perhaps I just need to quit the red wine and all will be well, haha...
I have a nurogenic (spelling ug) bladder caused by a back injury i got in 2000, at first I was IC after the first operation then it kinda went away with only a few time when my back would act up then in 2017 things started going down hill real fast and only picked up speed and it wasn't long before I was having to wear 24/7, I have had neurologists, urologists, neurosurgeons, pain doctors as well as my GP, and they all say the same thing, looks like I will have to live with it.
So ya your back can play a lot in IC, mainly the lower 3/4 T's and the top 5 lumbar, I've had a total of 7 lapidectomies and now have a fused lower back.
Stay with your GP and do everything he says to and that's the best advise I can give... Oh I'm 62 yrs. old.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
I started getting urinary incontinence after I sustained two disc extrusions on the L4 and L5
and spinal compression.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
I have neurogenic bladder and my IC is linked to L4 and L5 disc issues also, as well as sacro-iliac problems. I also have stenosis in the thoracic and cervical areas. My IC did improve for a time with regular therapy and chiropractic visits, but have returned consistently at night and sometimes during the day. It does seems to be worse when my back is worse.

Over the past several months/year I've also started having fecal IC several mornings a week. That is also related to spinal issues, but I don't see a correlation between increased pain and increased IC. My back issues do, however, affect my management of the fecal IC in that, on days when I am in much pain or my back is stiff, I can't effectively clean up until pain meds kick in and my back loosens up. So I typically sit in a chair or recliner and wait it out, which is not very fun.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
I have a blown out L5-S1 disc that started causing incontinence issues about 6 years ago. The incontinence issues were intermittent when it first started but became more frequent and after about 18 months, the incontinence was continuous with bladder and bowel incontinence. I have been diapered 24/7 for almost 5 years now. Adding to the incontinence issue lately is coughing spells caused by COPD that are triggering more wetting and messing accidents over the last year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
I have got diagnosed neurogenic bladder and disc prolapse of L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1.

It is not completely sure the discs are the reason of my incontinence, because i do have other neurological problems as well, but i am sure they are part of the problem to some extend, i think mostly for my DSD. The Neuro-Urologists said usually a disc prolapse that deep results in paralized bladder, not in overactive detrusor. An overactive detrusor is very common in Dysautonomia, i got that diagnosis some time after getting the NDO diagnosis.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
The communication between our head and lower organs is critical to continence any reduction in messaging /timing and incontinence becomes a reality. Proper healthcare of one's back (spine), especially one's lower back is very important.

Remember that muscles move bone, as a result, targeting the reduction of muscle knots (contraction) is more important to long term spinal care than random 'adjustments'.
 
Tundra1975 said:
I have a blown out L5-S1 disc that started causing incontinence issues about 6 years ago. The incontinence issues were intermittent when it first started but became more frequent and after about 18 months, the incontinence was continuous with bladder and bowel incontinence. I have been diapered 24/7 for almost 5 years now. Adding to the incontinence issue lately is coughing spells caused by COPD that are triggering more wetting and messing accidents over the last year.
I can relate to the coughing accidents. There are times I have coughed, sneezed, or even blown my nose and ended up with a full diaper. It can be frustrating!
 
I have lumbosacral spondylolthesis, spinal tumor and stenosis. When my back flares up from these conditions I have absolutely no control over my bladder, greater urine output and go from 4 diapers a day to about 8. The pain makes it hard to change sometimes
 
RedStripeLvr said:
I can relate to the coughing accidents. There are times I have coughed, sneezed, or even blown my nose and ended up with a full diaper. It can be frustrating!
I didn't mention it in my original post, but I've had a scare or two as well from coughing. I've come close to "touching cloth" (as we used to say as kids) a few times. It's these near misses that are leading me to wearing a taped diaper more and more regularly. I'm worried that sooner or later, I will have a real accident, not just a little squirt, and I will be wishing I was wearing real protection.
 
HappyCamper said:
I have a nurogenic (spelling ug) bladder caused by a back injury i got in 2000, at first I was IC after the first operation then it kinda went away with only a few time when my back would act up then in 2017 things started going down hill real fast and only picked up speed and it wasn't long before I was having to wear 24/7, I have had neurologists, urologists, neurosurgeons, pain doctors as well as my GP, and they all say the same thing, looks like I will have to live with it.
So ya your back can play a lot in IC, mainly the lower 3/4 T's and the top 5 lumbar, I've had a total of 7 lapidectomies and now have a fused lower back.
Stay with your GP and do everything he says to and that's the best advise I can give... Oh I'm 62 yrs. old.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but has the fusion helped with your pain? I have had a history of chronic back pain and doing everything I can to avoid fusion as I’m told there are risks and it might not even fix my pain. Be good to know your experience thanks
 
LittleUK1 said:
I hope you don’t mind me asking but has the fusion helped with your pain? I have had a history of chronic back pain and doing everything I can to avoid fusion as I’m told there are risks and it might not even fix my pain. Be good to know your experience thanks
No it hasn't done a think was on really heavy doses of morphine and fentanyl for about 17 yrs. and finally had enough of that and got off of it. I have lost about 80% of nerve function from mid waist down and between a implant in my spinal column and loss of feeling is the most I get out of pain relief.
I do try to keep moving as the arthritis is starting to creep in, even though it might hurt sometimes.
Everybody's back is different and just like diapers because one works for you might not work for somebody else.
You can PM me if you want.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater and LittleUK1
HappyCamper said:
No it hasn't done a think was on really heavy doses of morphine and fentanyl for about 17 yrs. and finally had enough of that and got off of it. I have lost about 80% of nerve function from mid waist down and between a implant in my spinal column and loss of feeling is the most I get out of pain relief.
I do try to keep moving as the arthritis is starting to creep in, even though it might hurt sometimes.
Everybody's back is different and just like diapers because one works for you might not work for somebody else.
You can PM me if you want.
Thanks I appreciate that. I’m so sorry it hasn’t helped. I will take you up on your kind offer thank you
 
HappyCamper said:
No it hasn't done a think was on really heavy doses of morphine and fentanyl for about 17 yrs. and finally had enough of that and got off of it. I have lost about 80% of nerve function from mid waist down and between a implant in my spinal column and loss of feeling is the most I get out of pain relief.
I do try to keep moving as the arthritis is starting to creep in, even though it might hurt sometimes.
Everybody's back is different and just like diapers because one works for you might not work for somebody else.
You can PM me if you want.
Sorry only recently joined and I’m not sure how to private message - can you message me pls? Thanks
 
Sure.
 
HalMidLife said:
Hi I'm curious to know who else has either IC that is exacerbated by a bad back, or IC caused by one? In my case, I have persistent dribbles, not caused by my bad back, and I've been dealing with that for 7+ years by wearing pull ups or diapers. I'm not bothered by that at this point in life - it "is what it is".

That said, for the past year or so, my back has been getting worse, and I've noticed an uptick in bladder leaks when I get a pinch in my lower back (I have disc issues) and...much more concerning and recent..#2 release as well. It has happened one time already (thankfully I was home) when my back gave out and I dropped to my knees and pooped a little bit. The timing was bad because I had red wine the night before, and my bowels were a bit "off". But anyway, since then, I've had a few other close calls.

Has anyone else experienced this? In my case, I'm not quite 50, so I'm feeling a bit young to be messing myself...or perhaps I just need to quit the red wine and all will be well, haha...
I can relate I have inflammatory arthritis in the spine at both cervical and Lumbar regions l3/l4 severe the disk is bad on the left side of spine caused urinary retention and ic and the severe pain that comes along with it, did you ever have an ctscan or an mri you might have to have it repeated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater and HappyCamper
I can relate I have a broken back with three rods and a plate we're my ribs are I was rock climbing and I fell four hundred feet the other two underneath did not make it and I was even wearing a helmet and it broke in half and I also have this five p -
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edgewater
EastCoastIncon said:
I have lumbosacral spondylolthesis, spinal tumor and stenosis. When my back flares up from these conditions I have absolutely no control over my bladder, greater urine output and go from 4 diapers a day to about 8. The pain makes it hard to change sometimes
@Pino?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
HalMidLife said:
Hi I'm curious to know who else has either IC that is exacerbated by a bad back, or IC caused by one? In my case, I have persistent dribbles, not caused by my bad back, and I've been dealing with that for 7+ years by wearing pull ups or diapers. I'm not bothered by that at this point in life - it "is what it is".

That said, for the past year or so, my back has been getting worse, and I've noticed an uptick in bladder leaks when I get a pinch in my lower back (I have disc issues) and...much more concerning and recent..#2 release as well. It has happened one time already (thankfully I was home) when my back gave out and I dropped to my knees and pooped a little bit. The timing was bad because I had red wine the night before, and my bowels were a bit "off". But anyway, since then, I've had a few other close calls.

Has anyone else experienced this? In my case, I'm not quite 50, so I'm feeling a bit young to be messing myself...or perhaps I just need to quit the red wine and all will be well, haha...
I am pretty sure my bad back is partly the cause of my bladder problems. Each time I have Radio Frequency Ablation on my lower joints the doctor would say how are you feeling "Fine" "Ok let me know if you have any bladder issues" and for about 4 years in didn't but then I noticed the dribbling and then some loss of control. I asked my pain specialist about this and he said NO I don't think that is the cause, see a Urologist. I did and he told me OAB and gave me pills. Slowly it has gotten worse over the last 9 years and my Urologist said it may be because of the back treatments but each doctor does not want to criticize the other. Later on they both said it is age related.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater
Back
Top