Status
Not open for further replies.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
I'm not an AB myself but, being a part of the ADISC community, it happened to me to think several times about how a *B roleplay session works, and I came up with an idea that maybe could be useful to someone - or maybe someone else has already put into practice.

One of the most important facts when taking care of a real baby is the ability of the baby to communicate with his/her caregiver in a quite limited number of ways, since either the baby's vocabulary and grammar are quite poor, or he/she isn't able to speak at all. In an *B play session, who plays the baby role usually fakes baby talk, but he/she cannot avoid to fully understand what the caregiver says. This is where my idea applies.

Let's say you were doing *B play with, as a daddy/mommy, someone who speaks a language you don't know well, or maybe you don't understand at all. This would put you in the exact same position of a real baby with his/her parents trying to teach him/her to speak.

This leads to some consequences that can make *B play more interesting and realistic: first, since the *baby doesn't have a clue about what is being told him/her, the caregiver will have to use gestures and sounds exactly like when communicating with a real baby, but now because of an actual incommunicability and not something fake. This way, the *baby is in an actually inferior position towards his/her caregiver: he/she cannot understand, he/she cannot express him/herself, he/she cannot communicate anything except in the way a real baby does.

Moreover, it could also be the opportunity to start learning a new language in a fun and unique way! :tongueout:

And, of course, for "service communication" outside the roleplay, the *baby or the daddy/mommy could temporarily switch to a language - such as English - they both have a "mature" understanding of.

What do you think? Has anyone already got experiences to share about this?

Tygon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I like this idea. It would be interesting to try out, see what it feels like (speaking from an AB perspective here). I get the feeling it would be a bit of a trip.

I wonder if, after a while, the *B would start to pick up the language the caregiver is using. Probably not with the ease nor to the extent that a small child actually would (I believe there's an age cut-off after which learning a language becomes more difficult), but still... babying *and* rudimentary foreign language lessons? Sign me up.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
This thought crossed my mind, although not with roleplay (which would indeed be great), but with children's TV.

Like shows for babies or really young children where it's more visual, and if anything the programme just tries to teach some words. So you could watch the programme and only understand it visually, and be in a more childish position.
Plus you learn to say all the babyish words in another language. :D

I think roleplaying like that would be good, babytalk in other languages can sound quite soothing...

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
Wow, that's a pretty good idea. I think I'd have a lot of fun with that.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
genius! i could see myself throwing a good amount of temper tantrums at not being able to convey what i'm thinking or feeling correctly or in an efficient manner.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Wow this sounds genius!

I love the idea! I know my friends hate it when I yell at them in spanish! ^.^

dprdinky

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Carer
It's interesting to watch a newborn baby, or one that is less than 6 months old and starts to mimic sounds and words from their parents or others much older than them. Their eyes brighten up and listen very intently to what is being said or done to them. Babies obviously improve their mimicing in time to where by a certain age they really start to form actual words.

If you notice many programs that help teach foreign languages do the same in continuing to say the words along with visual assistance goes along way in helping to learn quicker than usual, as well as repeating over and over again.

Great insight everyone.

Zoish

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I've fantasized about this myself, the only problem is trying to find a caregiver who speaks lojban. Success in such endeavorer would render my dreams complete. I suppose I can settle for French until then. Mais, malheureusement, j'ai fait un pipi, et il faut me changer.

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Ok, so the majority so far seem to like this idea (me too!); I'm wondering what languages folks would prefer in such situation?

Spanish and French have made a couple appearances. For my part, and I kind of hate to admit this, French would be right on. Not sure why.

Others?

Role
  1. Private
O_O

This idea is insane, but in a completely awesome way! I'd love to try such a RL-roleplay with someone. Having little or no verbal communication out of necessity would place a good amount of emphasis on the person in the baby role to actually act like a baby and communicate with sounds and actions.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
O_O

This idea is insane, but in a completely awesome way! I'd love to try such a RL-roleplay with someone. Having little or no verbal communication out of necessity would place a good amount of emphasis on the person in the baby role to actually act like a baby and communicate with sounds and actions.

wondering if it's online rp'able. wouldn't the tone and mannerisms (not to mention facial recognition and body language) be needed for an accurate feel? i know this isn't the most feasible issue to deal with, but i'm very interested in this as a whole. +2 to the OP!

Role
  1. Private
wondering if it's online rp'able. wouldn't the tone and mannerisms (not to mention facial recognition and body language) be needed for an accurate feel? i know this isn't the most feasible issue to deal with, but i'm very interested in this as a whole. +2 to the OP!

Unfortunately, I don't think this would be too feasible online considering the major point of this whole concept is the person in the baby-role isn't able to understand the carer, just like the relationship between a real baby and carer. Online we really only have text to communicate, so both parties have to speak the same language in order to respond accordingly. To make this sort of roleplay genuine, the baby-roleplayer would have to rely on sounds and mannerisms, which can't be related online.

Also, it'd make things a lot more authentic if both people roleplaying didn't speak the language(s) of the other person.

*headscratches*

Interesting concept... very interesting... but could only work IRL, methinks.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
  3. Private
I've heard this before, but I just can't remember where. My only guess is the idea crossed my mind after watching muzzy in German class, which did make me feal like a child and was very funny.

I think there was a discusion on this a long time ago back on tbdl.org.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
when you mentioned Muzzy i immediately had that sensation of being a child, because i thought the commercials were wicked funny growing up. the way they pro-nun-ci-a-ted their words and had the look of a knock off sesame street cartoon.
anyways, the point i was trying to make was when someone speaks a language we don't understand we automatically revert back to childish/basic ways of learning our 'caregivers' way of communication like intently watching the mouth modulations or mimicking the phonetics, mouth movements, tones and accents made while speaking.

T00L

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Thats a really cool idea!

also for those of you too young to remember the awesomeness that was muzzy

behold!

Status
Not open for further replies.