Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

So, now that I remembered, there were avatar rules on TBDL that I am not sure if we are enforcing them. There was one about real face pics and I saw an avatar with a face pic so I wasn't sure if we were still keeping those rules or should we take another poll like before?

FullMetal

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Eh, I don't see a problem with it. If someone wants to post their face, so be it. :p

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Why aren't you allowed face pics? What are the other rules? I wasn't aware there were any

F

FullMetal

Why aren't you allowed face pics? What are the other rules? I wasn't aware there were any
I don't remember all I remember was a Poll and something about face pics (dont kill me :() heh I was just wondering

FullMetal

Monkey

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
:graduate:
I don't remember all I remember was a Poll and something about face pics (dont kill me :() heh I was just wondering

FullMetal
I assume it would have been for identity protection. :educate:
Weren't crotch shot avatars forbidden as well? Or didn't we just decide to 'frown upon them.'

F

FullMetal

:graduate:

I assume it would have been for identity protection. :educate:
Weren't crotch shot avatars forbidden as well? Or didn't we just decide to 'frown upon them.'
Don't we frown upon everything :thinking:

And what are they doing ---> :tickle: Oh em gee

FullMetal

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If they want to put their faces as their avatar, I don't personally mind but I guess it would be wiser to put it as a profile picture and restrict the profile accessibility or something... That's what I would do if I, for some reason, wanted to post my picture here.

Role
Private
*points to his avatar* Lukie - ANIMATED!

No really, I don't quite look like that.

Anyway though, I've disabled all avatars. People seem to find it acceptable to barge into my room whenever they please, and having some of the avatars I've seen here on my computer screen would bring about a few questions.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
So, now that I remembered, there were avatar rules on TBDL that I am not sure if we are enforcing them. There was one about real face pics and I saw an avatar with a face pic so I wasn't sure if we were still keeping those rules or should we take another poll like before?

FullMetal
IIRC, there never was a rule against RL face pics as avatars, though it definitely was frowned upon.

There was, however, a rule against the use of crotch shots as avatars.
Though, when I created an official "the rules" topic in the announcements forum today, I diddn't include it.
Should I?

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I don't care for midriff shots: this one

caused me to say to babyjunior:
It is always good to see another new face. And yes - we have a links place so links don't get buried or lost. Crotch shots are not really what we are all about though. We have members as young as 14 and potentially even younger. If their parents happen to be looking over their shoulders then they will assume the images on the site are what the site is all about. Images in the gallery are one thing; one can keep off the gallery if people are lurking about. But when you scroll posts you don't know which avatars will be on screen.
If we let one person... we could at some point in the future have half the avis look like this!

Avatars should be in (relatively) good taste.

Reactions: Moo
Role
Diaper Lover
Crotch shots in profile and Galleries, Faces I don't care about if they are an adult.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Crotch shots in profile and Galleries, Faces I don't care about if they are an adult.
That's not exactly fair though. You can't tell everyone who is an adult they can have face pics, but not the teens.

F

FullMetal

I think any avatar pictures of face/crotch will attract the wrong people to our site...I just see it as a bad thing...

FullMetal

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I don't think so much for face pictures, but I'd say it would attract the wrong people with crotch shots. I mean, if you want to post that go to the gallery. I really do think having a crotch shot for a avatar is quite tasteless anyways.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I find crotch shots as avatars still wrong. Avatars kind of represent the person who is writing a message, so I always imagine the avatar is saying the things I'm reading in a person's forum post. If, however, the avatar is a crotch shot, I get the uneasy feeling that the person is talking "out their ass", or the other side of their crotch. It makes me uneasy. Plus I can't help but think that your entire personality is reduced to just your crotch and your diaper. Dunno if that's a good thing for the person using a crotch shot as an avatar.

Face pictures, on the other hand, I don't mind. In fact, they would even be better than any random image of, say, a chair because then I can imagine just perfectly what it would be like if we were talking in real life and the person in the avatar speaks the words I'm reading (except I don't know what the person's voice sounds like).
Face pictures as avatars is just a security issue, but in the end, everyone has to be mature enough to realize that having your face as an avatar on a forum about diapers and AB/TB stuff allows all people who see it and know you to realize beyond all doubt that you're a DL/TB or otherwise involved.

Peachy

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
FYI: I added something forbidding the use of crotch shots as avatars to the forum rules

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
FYI: I added something forbidding the use of crotch shots as avatars to the forum rules
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU A THOUSAND TIMES THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that we have that out of the way...I don't have a problem with 'face' pictures (half the people are going to put someone else's face anyway :p) I have MY face as my avatar...well...a 'cartoon' me anyway...although many people have mentioned it looks remarkably like me! *whispers, Peachy looks remarkably like his avatar too ;)*

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Are you talking bout me :justkidding:

Face shots are ok as long as it is them. They're the persons choice to put up and have on.

Crotch shots are not ok because it can be considered sexual and what not. Plus it attracts bad people and puts people off from meeting/wanting to know you.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Hmmm Babyjunior hasn't responded. But then on the previous forum he arrived with much fanfare
and didn't really post much after that... He had really just been trying to drum up traffic for his site and his commercial partners...

As to rl face shots, I don't care for them either, for two reasons. I like to imagine that I am talking to the person in the avatar, and they speak the words I'm reading. We all have a persona here, which represents the real person, but is only an aspect of it. One's avatar is part of the mental image I have of the person I am interacting with. Here, shy people can be open; insecure people can be confident; loners can be sociable; adults can be child-like; serious people with a grim rl can joke and be merry; tg's can be treated as girls, whereas in rl they may still be treated as guys. When I see a face, it detracts from the image I have of the person; all it conveys to me is that you are "some guy" (or "some girl") but does not add to what I know of your personality. When I interact in chat, I really do imagine myself as Raccoon (not "a raccoon") huggling foxes (or whomever.) Seeing a face breaks the continuity of the imagined reality; I most certainly would not be apt to huggle someone I don't know very well half my age in rl nor even imagine doing so. But as "Raccoon" interacting with "username" I can do so and be entirely genuine. Some interactions are between "rl me" and the other "rl person," and I have no problem keeping the two personae distinct. Even then, however, having a rl image to attach to the person doesn't add much for me, other than satisfying some small curiosity. If someone wants to post their rl photos in chat or in the gallery they may do so; I can ignore the photos outright or detach them from the personality of the rl person that I know (in so far as I know them.)

I don't think having a rl pic as an avatar should be disallowed for the sake of my fantasy-life. I think it should be disallowed for the reasons below.

The second issue is a security issue. If you will indulge me, and haven't typed TL;DR yet, let us think from the perspective of a bad guy.
*looks all worried*
If some evil person wanted to "get" one of us - and wanted to go for the easiest person - they would amass as much personally identifying info as possible - and a headshot would be the clincher. I am not a techie; but I do know one can be tracked in surprisingly effective ways. Our own mods use some of these ways to protect the forum. And it is very hard to be "open" without giving up bits of identifying info that can be collected and analyzed - especially if one is active elsewhere on the net.

Imagine a "friend" of a tb. He could register using his own correct personal info and post, creating an identity for the tb he knows, including a headshot, all without the tb's knowledge. Then the real tb is open to being outed (under the false identity,) and vulnerable to ridicule, blackmail or other attack. The "friend" would have to have very twisted thinking; but if I can imagine this scenario, then so can others. *shudders.* The victim need not even be a tb in real life: just someone vulnerable to attack by the people who torment others for fun.

If such an event occurred it would not only compromise the individual but the whole forum. We could become known, at a minimum, as an unsafe place to hang out. If one evildoer succeeded others would become emboldened and follow in their footsteps.

I have no way to know if I am over-paranoid or if there is even such a thing. The only way to test preventative measures is to fail at them. I place my trust - with confidence - in Moo and the other technically able staff; I would not be here otherwise.

At any rate, I think rl headshots as avatars is a bad idea, and I can not see that the risks outweigh the benefits (which mostly have to do with free speech, and the idea that if an image is not offensive then it must be ok.)

Last edited:

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Other
A quick count of the avatars of online users of some other AB/DL forum showed that only 9 of 62 avatars were neither face nor crotch shots.

As to rl face shots, I don't care for them either, for two reasons.
That's not exactly fair though. You can't tell everyone who is an adult they can have face pics, but not the teens.
I'll agree with your three, and raise you two more.

Four: Furries and transvestites typically have more than one name: One name for who they outwardly, and another for who they are (either partially or fully) inside. Similarly, ABs have an aspect of themselves which doesn't match their face. Unless you are only DL ( without anything extra inside), why show us only the outer shell?

Five: When I logged on to my first forum, Google was just a thesis. No one could have imagined how much more indexed everything text would become. Who can claim to know how much more findable things will be in the future? We are a long way from being able to 'Google' faces, but search engines have come long ways before. That outer shell which might not mean much here is what job interviewers, bosses, coworkers, etc., will know you by.

Be careful about how much personal information you put up. Some of it will stay up. Forever. I think face shots should be discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.