Australian Nappies

Status
Not open for further replies.

findlay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey, as many know australia have hardly any adult nappies. here is the question. for queensland, what brands of adult nappies are there and where can these be purchased. i'm not talking online i mean going into a shop. my grandma has molicare but where would she get them from??

Sahara® Mens Y Front Pant

Has anyone got a pair? what are they like? are the comphy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
  1. Private
It all relies on which part of Queensland you're in. I'm in Brisbane myself, just a short drive out of the CBD, where stores, pharmacies and various brands are fairly abundant. Whilst out in more regional/remote areas you'll have a tough time finding anything [decent].

For starters, just to get it out of the way, there's Depends. Pretty much every pharmacy carries them and some supermarkets too. Obviously the quality is lacking quite a bit, but nonetheless a reasonable diaper with high availability. On this same note, there's another brand that's been in stock recently called MoliMed (can spot them easily, they come in a sunflower-yellow packet). Despite being made by the same company as Molicare (Hartmann), I've heard these are pretty generic diapers. Avoid, if possible, although keep in mind I haven't personally tried them, so this is just what I've heard on the grapevine. However, I haven't heard anything largely negative about them.

**Note: I just checked the website. MoliMed's don't appear to come in a brief-style, tape-up pad. So I wouldn't worry about them.

Lately, a few of the premium brands, like Tena and Molicare (I'm talking about the proper tape-up kind, not the pull-up kind), have been showing up in a handful of pharmacies around my area, and I think one in the city as well. They're more expensive, but well worth it if you can find any. Just to note, we get the European version of the Tena Slip Maxi, not the apparently worse-off US variety - they are some of the best diapers from any brand, so if you find some I'd definitely recommend buying a pack or two.

If searching around isn't your thing, then you could always try businesses that deal with incontinence supplies. I know for sure that Sanicare, Abena's kid company that operates in Australia, has offices around the major cities. You can check their most recent catalogue here and their office locations here. I believe you can phone order, but I'm not entirely sure if the offices themselves have stock on hand, but I'm sure you can ask. Hartmann and Tena also have Aussie websites if you want to look them up.

Alternatively, and I know you didn't say you wanted to online order, but there are a couple of sites that are half-decent to order from - BrightSky and Independence Solutions are one's I've dealt with before and they aren't half-bad; quick shipping for the metro areas. Also, I think they have warehouses you can visit and buy direct from, but don't quote me on that.

And lastly, there's a special site from a Brisbane-local who makes her own Velcro cloth diapers... and she does adult sizes too! Check it out here.

findlay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
thanks lukie - i'm also in brisbane and live on the river across from newfarm park...you should know what suburb that is without me saying...heaps of help thanks dude

has anyone tried the reusable Sahara® Mens Y Front Pant? they only hold a little bit but comments would be good!!

Role
  1. Private
thanks lukie - i'm also in brisbane and live on the river across from newfarm park...you should know what suburb that is without me saying...heaps of help thanks dude

Well that could be a number of suburbs, since New Farm is on a bend in the river.

Although don't tell. I'd rather not probe that information. :detective3

has anyone tried the reusable Sahara® Mens Y Front Pant? they only hold a little bit but comments would be good!!

Haven't tried them but I've had a look. Seem like a boxer-brief undergarment, so I suppose they would be comfortable. But keep in mind something like that would only be for light incontinence, I wouldn't go around wearing one if I planned on wetting it under any circumstance.

findlay

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
how do they (provided you don't wet them to much) keep the moisture in? eg. if u wet undies they seep through but what stops this with the Sahara® Mens Y Front Pant do you think?

and that is why i used new farm haha

Role
  1. Private
how do they (provided you don't wet them to much) keep the moisture in? eg. if u wet undies they seep through but what stops this with the Sahara® Mens Y Front Pant do you think?

Like I said, I haven't tried them... at all.

I'd assume they have some thick (well, thicker than the rest of the material), absorbent padding around the parts where it's needed and probably a thin plastic insert to keep the moisture from showing or leaking out. Pretty much like a larger version of baby training pants you can find in most supermarkets (Not Pull-Ups, I'm talking about the fabric ones with plastic on the inside).

'Website gives their specifications at 365mL, which is roughly a can of Coke. A relatively decent amount, although after one moderate wetting you'd have to change. I think they are designed for people who have problems with urine dripping out, not gushing or heavy flow.

They look interesting though. Might check them out one day.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
There is actually a small Australian manufacturer, but I forget who they're called. I'll chase them up but I think they're in Victoria. They do deliver though.

Aidy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Carer
You can get anything from any pharmacy. Just order it. If I know I can go to a pharmacy on a particular day. (Really really know) I ring them up and ask them to order in some Tena Slip Maxi's and then go pick it up when they're in. I did this even before I had my license.

Intershop

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
You can get anything from any pharmacy. Just order it. If I know I can go to a pharmacy on a particular day. (Really really know) I ring them up and ask them to order in some Tena Slip Maxi's and then go pick it up when they're in. I did this even before I had my license.

To-right mate! Its amazing how so many people just see a chemist/pharmacy, see they only stock what almost all of 'em stock, crap Depend's and just write that chemist off. That is how i got a case of Tena Slip Maxis mediums from my the pharmacy at my local shops without the hassle of having to deal with an internet order arriving on my doorstep or having to travel out to the Medical supply store like 3 hours away.

Ya see in the past this pharmacy stocked like nice 22pks of Tena slip Super's just on the shelves next to the other shite brand so one time about a year or so ago i called them up and asked them if they had any "Tena slip Maxi incontinence products in stock" The girl on the phone kept on going on about and finding like period pads and other rubbishy stuff so i thought the hell with it, for once no body is home i'll just hike up the hillto the shops on a pavement melting 30C+ scorcher of a day..

Anyway when i got there same crap with the so called incontinence expert staffer so she said We can order them in if you like and she got out a massive binder full of product numbers and phone numbers and ordered me in some. Now i was hoping to just get a pack of around 15-20ish nappies but little did i know that Tena has repackaged there Maxis in 8packs! (and i think even 6 packs for the L size)!! was fucking shocked when i went there in about 5 days time to pick up them up. When i found out the single pack i "ordered" was only gonna have 8nappies in them i said something like 'uhh actually on second thought i better get the whole case.'

Sorry if this is a bit long winded and ranty but the point of the story was the case came to costing me almost A$80! (the case was 4x 8pks). i looked on the monitor and the retail price for an 8pk at this chain pharmacy was $22.
A real ripoff. Fortunately i played the fumbling for shrapnel in my wallet muttering how these are for my sick uncle who is visiting for a while and only gave me such and such ammount so they knocked it down around 10bucks to like $68 which i think is reasonable.

So to sum up another one of my wonderful early morning rants yes its an awesome power most people don't seem to realise that if a pharmacy doesn't stock it then chances they will be more than willing to order it in just for you. just expect to get gouged a bit. I know it really got me by suprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.