Audio Surf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocadoy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Has anyone played, or got their hands on the beta for this?

I've been playing it every now and then, and it is an -awesome- game!

Just wondering if anyone else got their hands on it.

Role
Private
Managed to get a hold of it and play with the online competition boards. ^_^

This game is beyond awesome. I know, flying a ship and collecting coloured blocks may not seem like fun, but doing it in a pulsating environment reacting to your own music makes for one hell of an experience. When I first started on this game I just couldn't stop. It was one of those things where you go "Oh, just one more song..." but you end up playing for a few more hours!

Overall, an awesome game. Anticipating the full release of it. :D

Avocadoy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
What do you play as?

I love Ninja Mono, so intense x.x;

So far, I've just been sticking with Jimmy Eat World, Mindless Self Indulgence, and Tool song wise, with bits and pieces of other artists when I need to switch it up.

What Songs/Bands do you use?

Role
Private
I normally just play easy mono. I'm not looking for an over-the-top experience, I just like to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I play: Air, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Daft Punk, Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Digitalism, Kavinsky, M83, Pleiadians, Röyksopp, Jega, and a few other artists that I usually listen to.

Role
Private
A tad more info about this please!?
It's a program that let's you ride your music.

You load up a song into it, and it creates a 3D environment that pulsates and moves to the varying sounds within that song. To make it fun and challenging, you are in control of a small rocket ship that traverses along a path in this environment. Every song has an entirely different path! This is because the path changes with respect to how intense the song is at any point. A steeper downhill path means it's intense, a steep incline means it's very calm. Along the way you collect blocks and make combos for points. There are quite a number of different gameplay modes and each has online leaderboards.

The website is normally found at http://www.audio-surf.com/ - but it seems to be down at the moment. Just Google "audio surf" and you should get some download links. It is still in beta, so you might encounter a few problems, or some features may not work.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I downloaded this game this morning. After a friend last night was trying to convinve me to pre-order it. $9 on Steam didn't seem bad to me. But I thought it didn't looked that exciting from the videos I wathed on you tube. I'd give it the beta version ago and see what it is like.

Being a StepMania Player a Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) clone. I find it that I am more of looking at where the bricks are rather than listening to the music for cues for the next steps. Its like reading a book with your MP3 player. I couldn't really care what was being played, I wasn't really appreciating it. So I'll stick to Stepmania. Or maybe if they change the controls to push 1 to goto lane 1 rather than the arrow keys to move left and right. It may seem a little more easier for me :p. But the beta doesn't let you change the controls are all.

What I am impressed with is that it creates the tracks/roads for each song pretty fast for their first run, while being accurate. Its pretty clever and amazing on what it picks up. Tempo change, Different instruments etc... I wonder how the algorithm works.

Overall I don't think it is that bad. I haven't unlocked anything. But i like using the pusher. Left click, left click. right Click.. Etc... Really annoying when i go and change characters and they don't have these features :(.

I was mainly listing to some techno dance mixes.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I loooove that thing, I'm totally going to download the full version, in fact I'm gonna do it right now if it's out and my mother lets me use $10 of my Bar Mitzvah money for this.

The best song I tried on it was COZMIC TRAVEL by SOUL'd OUT.
Also, oddly enough, when I try to play Figure 8 by Memento (a 13-minute song), it just doesn't work, I get a blank message and when I click the (blank) button, it just goes to the character selection screen. But I guess it's because of the time.

I tried What's Up People? by Maximum The Hormone, it worked pretty well too. I'm surprised of the smoothness and the natural feeling of the game. It's a unique experience. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play some more. =3

Last edited:
Role
Private
I loooove that thing, I'm totally going to download the full version, in fact I'm gonna do it right now if it's out and my mother lets me use $10 of my Bar Mitzvah money for this.

The best song I tried on it was COZMIC TRAVEL by SOUL'd OUT.
Also, oddly enough, when I try to play Figure 8 by Memento (a 13-minute song), it just doesn't work, I get a blank message and when I click the (blank) button, it just goes to the character selection screen. But I guess it's because of the time.
I think someone made a patch to allow for longer songs and/or I think the final version allows for long songs.

I've been able to play 15-20minutes tracks in it before.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If the full version allows longer songs (I guess it would, it would make sense), I'm going to get it tonight most likely anyways, but my parents try to buy time because they don't trust Steam or whatever, they just don't like to buy online... -_-

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I hope I can see why I can't upload Figure 8 on the beta version, maybe it's because it's too intense. ;3

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I know it's a double post, but this thread deserves to be revived.

So I got Audiosurf yesterday, played it and got the only three easy achievements (I'm not very good at it... yet), but I was lucky because today, they released an update so one of the achievements I got (and still have) is only available with Elite characters.

Anyways, that's one of the most addictive and weird (in a good way) games that I ever played. It's really cool 'riding' on your music, it works very well and the curves, speed, etc. make it even more exciting. They also included Freeride or something so you can simply look at the scenery with your song. There's also Ironmode that makes you lose the game if one of the columns gets overfilled. Then there are all the new characters, including one for each level that allows you to play cooperatively with a friend, I found it was a pretty cool addition since one person uses the mouse while the other stays with the keyboard, so it's relatively easy to control and you can make sure you have all the space you need to control your vehicle thing comfortably.

I just found out that you can add friends to compare scores in addition to the global and national rankings. So It'd be cool to add some of you so I can see if I really suck or if there are simply too much good people playing the same songs as me out there. If anyone wants to add me, my username is DarkSunDS, indeed.

I was finally able to play longer songs with Figure 8 by Memento. So no problems on this side.

If anyone has anything to add, questions or something, just post, it would be a shame to see this thread dying, because this game has a huge potential, and if I could, I would certainly take my laptop in the bus instead of my MP3 Player. All I have to do is make sure the MP3 Tags are okay, but since I'm a perfectionist, I always change them whenever I download a song to make sure they're fine. Has anyone else bought the full version?

F

FullMetal

Oh cool its a steam game that seems just awesome! I'll prolly get it some time soon, I really want to try it first though and the Demo isnt up til friday, so I'll see after that. Thank you for introudicing me :)

FullMetal

Status
Not open for further replies.