Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I had an idea while surfing around Librivox the other day. What if we started a volunteer book reading and uploading service.

It's awesome to be able to listen to a book on your mp3 player while you're waking home, exercising, etc. But what if that book you were listening to was a *B story? Personally, i think that would be pretty sweet.

Here's the Idea. Any member with a voice recording service on their Computer reads a story and records it, then uploads it to the internet and posts the link on the sight under (hopefully) a made forum for this. (or perhaps under the Completed stories forum?) Then anyone that would like the story can easily download it and listen.

I realize that some people would not want their story Audio-book-a-tized, so for each story the reader should get explicit permission from the author.
________

Tell me what you think!

S

soren456

I voted Yes. It's a good idea for those who would use it. :thumbsup:

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
If you want to do this then just start it. I don't really think this belongs in administrative stuff. If you do this then do it outside of adisc and upload the stories to say rapidshare and just have the author put a link to it in the top of the page.

Siege89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I did undecided, I think its a good idea, I just dont think I would use it.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
No new forum!!! Most of what I "read" are audiobooks. But I'm not interested in the stories on here so I have no opinion on this one.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
When we discussed the idea of a podcast, I thought this kind of thing would have been good. Like including a chapter of a story or something into each one.
So I definitely like this idea!

Perhaps another necessary poll would be: would you listen to an AB audiobook?

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
While I think this is a great idea, it can't be just anybody who reads these stories. Recording one's voice properly (even if you're just speaking) is an insanely difficult task that can't be done just by anyone, no matter what equipment they have.

1) They need to have a presence on the microphone. Almost 95% of us are probably boring as fuck to listen to for an extended period of time. Sorry about that, everybody who thinks they're the comedic shit -- it's just true! We may have no problem talking on Skype, but when you cut out the audience and it's just you talking to a microphone, it's easy to get lazy, and then easy to get boring. The person needs to have a personality that's interesting to listen to as they read. Don't just read the story -- speak to the listener.

2) The story needs to be good. I can think of maybe two stories that I've ever read on here that are worth putting into audio format, and even those would need refining to be prepared for public recitation. Many of them are difficult to read let alone comfortable to read aloud, and when you read a story aloud, you can really tell where it lacks in pacing and grammar. Most of these stories lack (save for those by our better authors) and are completely unsuitable for audio.

3) The reader better be a good reader. They need to be able to speak clearly and quickly, but not too quickly. They need to be able to take on different voices and characteristics as they read. They need to be able to interpret tension and other emotions in the story and recite in such a way that the listener gets the same experience. Please, please, we can't have people stumbling over their words or who are just damned straight-out boring or annoying to listen to reading these things.

4) Use a compressor. When you record your voice, compress it and use a pop-filter. I don't want to get my ears ripped apart with "P!" and "B!" The dynamics in the voice need to be good, but not so good that they're hard to hear. When you whisper, I need to hear it -- when you shout, I need to be able to hear it clearly. This is where the compressor comes in handy.

5) Don't give us your first take. Your first take is never the best one. Do it over again. Listen to what you did and improve it.

Do I think this is a great idea? I do, in concept, but I think it'll be immensely difficult to execute. Having done hours upon hours upon hours of vocal recording (in songs, in podcasts, in recitation of independent audiobooks) myself, I speak from experience in that this is no simple task. Can it be a simple process? Yes! Anyone can hit "Record" and go for it, but it'll suck asshole, and people will hate it. To make something truly listenable and charismatic, it does indeed take a sense of production and presentation. Audiobooks are often done in big studios and recorded by big-name actors (or experienced audiobook readers) for a reason -- it takes a lot of work and time to get that quality.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Audio Books are dependent on the reader. If s/he is a good reader, then it can be a good book. Hell, Jim Dale (Harry Potter reader) is a great reader! He does all of the different voices, so I hear. I never get tired of hearing the books!

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
i listen to audiobooks while i'm driving all the time. it sounds like a good idea to me. i might even try recording one to see if i have a good storytelling voice.

Dawes has made some salient points, and it's a daunting task to get it right.

I agree with Grizzy about Jim Dale, and there are a very few others that I truly enjoy listening to (Simon Prebble, the late Frank Muller, Barbara Rosenblatt to name a few off the top of my head). Even accomplished actors and experienced audiobook readers suck.

Last edited:
F

FullMetal

While I think this is a great idea, it can't be just anybody who reads these stories. Recording one's voice properly (even if you're just speaking) is an insanely difficult task that can't be done just by anyone

He is right, you need a really manly voice that is rugged and hot...and aussi!

All in favor of voting Lukie voice person say I

FullMetal

NickofNewjersey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I would pay good money to hear "cody and the baby start over program" in audio book form. Maybe a few talented voice actors?

Puppyluvs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Carer
I often just get my Mac to read stories to me. The new default voice in Leopard is actually quite reasonable to listen to.

Kyler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I would pay good money to hear "cody and the baby start over program" in audio book form. Maybe a few talented voice actors?

With Ron's Permission, this would definitely be on the list.

The voice/separate character voices would be a must, and i do realize the need for a voice compressor. Anybody who would like to record, do so. Let's just see if we can get this started .... think of it as a social experiment :p

Maybe I could start a clan for people that would like to be on the Record team? I think i will, just to see if anybody will join. infantiaVox will be the name.

Xane

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
Well, I am a voice actor or at least going to school to be one. I'd happily volunteer to assist with recording. It'd help me and help those who want to have audiobooks here.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I say no. While it seems like a good idea, how many people actually use audio books? I never use them, because reading, and having someone read to you just isn't always the same. Plus for *B stories, I only read when I want some time with my hand. Listening to *B stories while driving or something just isn't what I would want to do. It seems like a lot of hassle that only a majority may use. Finding people to read the stories can be hard, since so many of us live alone, and don't want their parents hearing them reading some story about diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.