As a Kid Could You Pop a Wheelie?

Do You Pop Wheelies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrankyPants

A wee brat who likes his binky, sippy and dips.
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
I've spent almost 13 years steadily on two wheels cycling. I could never hold a wheelie until I was around 16, right before I got my first road bike and wheelies weren't really shown off any more. How about you? 😃

If you have anything you pop wheelies on, wheelchairs, skateboards, motorcycles, etc.. Drag Racing...

If popping a wheelie means holding the front tire up for more than 1 second, no. :p

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, subhubby1968 and KrankyPants
ronnieM said:
If popping a wheelie means holding the front tire up for more than 1 second, no. :p
Yes it does! Gotta be at least two seconds.

Well, not now since my body's buggered (not from two-wheeled shennigans).
I used to do the whole steering of it, too. I can remember one summer's evening outside our house, just passing time with the lad nextdoor-but-one and singing a Beatles song, doing
wheelies on the road and footpaths.....and I forgot the words of the song and then lost the plot of everything else and just flopped over onto the road. My mate laughed his head off.......the cockend.

Motorbikes are a bit different with being heavier and hand-throttled. It's almost a different skill, really.
And then try going from motorbike to pedalbike and popping wheelies 😂

• Love
Reactions: chrischrischris and KrankyPants
No. I never have been the greatest at riding a bike. I eventually got the hang of it. However, a wheelie was just something I could never pull off. I cannot bike up a hill either. I have to walk the bike up a hill. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was either 7 or 8 though. I was slow at learning quite a few things.

I could ride a wheelie on my schwin, probably a quarter mile or more when I was a teenager . I could never get the hang of it on my 10 speed or as an adult on my mountain bike, I just flip it over and land on my feet.

• Haha
ade said:
Well, not now since my body's buggered (not from two-wheeled shennigans).
I used to do the whole steering of it, too. I can remember one summer's evening outside our house, just passing time with the lad nextdoor-but-one and singing a Beatles song, doing
wheelies on the road and footpaths.....and I forgot the words of the song and then lost the plot of everything else and just flopped over onto the road. My mate laughed his head off.......the cockend.

Motorbikes are a bit different with being heavier and hand-throttled. It's almost a different skill, really.
And then try going from motorbike to pedalbike and popping wheelies 😂
That sounds like a great time, Ade!

Reactions: chrischrischris
Hockeyczar said:
I could ride a wheelie on my schwin, probably a quarter mile or more when I was a teenager . I could never get the hang of it on my 10 speed or as an adult on my mountain bike, I just flip it over and land on my feet.
The longest I could do on my old "iron pig" was about 4 seconds and then I'd dry to spin the handlebars like the BMX guys, but since I had cables it never worked, but I didn't fall once I got it down. It took the internet to teach me.

Reactions: chrischrischris
Weatheronthe8s said:
No. I never have been the greatest at riding a bike. I eventually got the hang of it. However, a wheelie was just something I could never pull off. I cannot bike up a hill either. I have to walk the bike up a hill. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was either 7 or 8 though. I was slow at learning quite a few things.
My mom doesn't know how to ride at all. Shhh! Don't Tell her I told anyone! 🤫 Interestingly, I love climbing hills. It's my specialty on group rides. My nickname that the local groups gave me is "Rabbit". The nickname my family calls me is Rue, like kangaroo. 🦘 I can't jump well though. Or swim, lol. 🙂

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
I voted only to show off, because that's the truth.

KrankyPants said:
That sounds like a great time, Ade!
It kind of was; btw, in my post I wrote "....doing figure-of-eight wheelies on the road and footpath". Not sure what happened to the 'figure-of-eight' 🤔
Of course it matters, because showing off is part of the whole point of doing a wheely, isn't it? 😁
And that bike concerned was an iron pig, too. It was a BMX called a Wildcat, but not the Raleigh one that everybody knows. No, this seemed to be a Soviet style, heavily over-engineered (with the emphasis on heavy) type which my parents had bought (in total ignorance of the then new BMX trend) from the local Toymaster as my 'big' xmas present for 1980-earlysomething.
It's weight was it's notable feature and everybody who tried to lift it gave that funny look of worry.
I didn't need to be told as tears were shed on the xmas day that I got it: not because it wasn't, as I knew, a 'proper' BMX (I did my best to hide my dismay), but because when I took it in the backyard for it's baptismal ride, it fell on top of me as I tried to negotiate the steps and turn, unwieldy as it was.
Tears and tantrum followed 😂

It's weight lended itself to maintaining steady wheelies, being less skittish once up, but it was seriously dangerous for doing jumps off ramps; it seemed to be heavier than me and would drop out of the air faster than I would. One mangled-shin occurrence, upon landing, deterred me from doing jumps with it.

Reactions: KrankyPants
Yup. I can pop wheelies and hold it for over 100 yards.

• Love
Reactions: PuppyMouseMikki and KrankyPants
Wheelies, riding no hands, built a jump and jumped bikes over a friend of mine (there's always that kid). Have done just about everything you can with a bike.

• Wow
Reactions: PuppyMouseMikki, KrankyPants and jamiejamie
willnotwill said:
there's always that kid
The one with the flat nose 🤣

• Haha
willnotwill said:
Wheelies, riding no hands, built a jump and jumped bikes over a friend of mine (there's always that kid). Have done just about everything you can with a bike.
Oh yea. I did them all! Love those days. Better than being inside playing video games.

What about riding 'backwards', sat on the handlebars? 😉
I've also ridden backwards, as a purely backwards thing (living on a hillside has some dubious benefits 😁), but you don't want to let that get away from you....😱

• Wow
KrankyPants said:
My mom doesn't know how to ride at all. Shhh! Don't Tell her I told anyone! 🤫 Interestingly, I love climbing hills. It's my specialty on group rides. My nickname that the local groups gave me is "Rabbit". The nickname my family calls me is Rue, like kangaroo. 🦘 I can't jump well though. Or swim, lol. 🙂
Yeah. I am not good at jumping either. Swimming is also not my strongest suit, but I can kinda swim.

No! Knowing me, I'd've popped my head open instead lol

• Wow
ade said:
What about riding 'backwards', sat on the handlebars? 😉
I've also ridden backwards, as a purely backwards thing (living on a hillside has some dubious benefits 😁), but you don't want to let that get away from you....😱
Oh snap, you're one of those cool people who can do that? That takes some serious balance!

ade said:
It kind of was; btw, in my post I wrote "....doing figure-of-eight wheelies on the road and footpath". Not sure what happened to the 'figure-of-eight' 🤔
Of course it matters, because showing off is part of the whole point of doing a wheely, isn't it? 😁
And that bike concerned was an iron pig, too. It was a BMX called a Wildcat, but not the Raleigh one that everybody knows. No, this seemed to be a Soviet style, heavily over-engineered (with the emphasis on heavy) type which my parents had bought (in total ignorance of the then new BMX trend) from the local Toymaster as my 'big' xmas present for 1980-earlysomething.
It's weight was it's notable feature and everybody who tried to lift it gave that funny look of worry.
I didn't need to be told as tears were shed on the xmas day that I got it: not because it wasn't, as I knew, a 'proper' BMX (I did my best to hide my dismay), but because when I took it in the backyard for it's baptismal ride, it fell on top of me as I tried to negotiate the steps and turn, unwieldy as it was.
Tears and tantrum followed 😂

It's weight lended itself to maintaining steady wheelies, being less skittish once up, but it was seriously dangerous for doing jumps off ramps; it seemed to be heavier than me and would drop out of the air faster than I would. One mangled-shin occurrence, upon landing, deterred me from doing jumps with it.
I'm in the dealership waiting area and literally laughed when I read you wrote "Soviet"! 🤣

Reactions: ade
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back