Article: Toddler/Child Racism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
How dare you. You shameless, SHAMELESS girl. What did those Southern Americans ever do to you?! O=<

But really. I thought society had too much emphasis on political correctness before. But this is just ridiculous.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Hmm, "This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food." I would be interested in seeing the actual wording from the National Child Bureau and what context it is in. The Telegraph is a staunchly right-wing paper and this is exactly the kind of things that gets its readership excited enough to spit out out their tea over breakfast and cry 'political correctness gone mad' - it's what they want to hear.

Also, what's a biscuit in the this context? I would know it as what you would call a cookie.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Also, what's a biscuit in the this context? I would know it as what you would call a cookie.
To be honest - I'm not too sure, I've never heard one. But one thing that I've always heard, was all the Southerns eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lol. I was just using it as an example. :p

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I think it's good, that they're taking action against using words such as "paki" and whatnot, or saying one group of people smells. But saying "yuk" to a food you like is now racist? That's really stupid. I'm not too fond of biscuits, so I guess I'm racist against all the Southern Americans?
ITA with you, Mandi! The food part is absolutely ridiculous! Who doesn't have strong likes and dislikes in food items, no matter what your age? Plus a toddler really is too young to even have any conception of what racism is. My daughter always gagged on potatoes as a toddler. Guess that made her prejudiced against Idahoians(sp?). I don't care much for oriental dishes because I no longer have the back teeth to chew them up easily. Hmmm.....I better hurry and get those false teeth to be able to chew again before someone points a finger at me and screams, "Oriental Racist!!!:frown:

~Pramrider

Last edited:

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's like a dinner roll. Except more flaky.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
To be honest - I'm not too sure, I've never heard one. But one thing that I've always heard, was all the Southerns eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lol. I was just using it as an example. :p
So you're just randomly maligning quickbreads now? What's next, cornbread? Irish soda bread? Where will it all end?!?

Biscuits (the non-cookie kind) are brilliant, quick and easy to make, even without the horrible dough from a tube. As Akira just said, they're flakey. That's really their main attribute. The process is a little bit cookie-like, as you roll out dough and cut out the biscuits with a cutter if you're all fancy (a water glass will do nicely). They're tasty served hot with butter or jam if you're not inclined to having them with gravy, but I think they achieve their highest destiny under hamburger sausage gravy.

Here's some good enough looking biscuits (although that nearest one looks like it might have been in the oven just a minute too long:

All Purpose Biscuit and Pancake Mix

My great grandfather had a pretty much unbroken record of biscuits and gravy breakfasts for many years. I can only imagine he must have been terrifically active, since it's a fattening kind of breakfast and he was a regular-sized guy. Then again, he may not have been eating much for the rest of the day.

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...picy-food-racist,-say-report.html

I think it's good, that they're taking action against using words such as "paki" and whatnot, or saying one group of people smells. But saying "yuk" to a food you like is now racist? That's really stupid. I'm not too fond of biscuits, so I guess I'm racist against all the Southern Americans?
The taking action against any word is retarded. It's not words that are harmful, but the intent behind them. Once you ban one word, stuff like this happens. It's a slippery slope.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Mmm...Biscuits...KFC ones are yummy...But anyways, I haven't heard any kids say "Paki", but at least it sounds like it could help prevent racism? I'm not really sure, if we keep doing things like this to words, it's going to end up like the "n" word...It's just a word...Is it going to be like "You can't call us a Paki, only we can call each other Paki's. You can say Paka, but not Paki"...I'm just using Paki as an example, although I honestly have never heard someone use that...

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Oh cheers, Trev. They look like scones to me but can't say I've ever heard of someone having gravy with a scone. You crazy Americans and your crazy eating habits.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Oh cheers, Trev. They look like scones to me but can't say I've ever heard of someone having gravy with a scone. You crazy Americans and your crazy eating habits.
They're a tricky thing. I described them to some Australian friends of mine and they also thought: scone. There are superficial similarities, but it's hard to tell as apparently our scones don't measure up. Anyway, I sent them a recipe and they tried it out and found them similar to scones but definitely not scones. They tried making gravy with my recipe and that didn't go so well, but they loved them with butter or jam. I think it's worth noting that when they came to visit, they got proper biscuits and gravy and enjoyed them.

Getting back to the original point: I saw this addressed in another article. It's ridiculous. Children are forever reacting with "yuck!" to anything different, there's nothing remotely racist about it.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Wow. A toddler who has yet to develop major concepts saying ew to something foreign to them is racist.

(I Don't do this often but I think this warrants it)

*facepalm*

Shupie

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Last time I was down south, we enjoyed breakfasts of biscuits covered in maple syrup. Yum. XD

And that's totally silly to think toddlers saying yuk to new foods is racist. Not everyone is ready to hop and skip to a new plate of food they've never tried before--let alone a lil three year old. Is saying ew to string beans a bash to vegetarians? Nuh uh.

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Honestly, this is just silly!

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
For anyone who don't know what a biscuits is....

As for kids being racist for not liking different foods, it just another stupid thing that people are talking about. I mean when you were that age, were you a pickey eater too and didn't like certain foods?

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
For anyone who don't know what a biscuits is....
Yum! Love 'em hot from the oven and oozing with melted butter.:smile: Good thing I just finished lunch or my mouth would be watering something terrible.

~Pramrider

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't think children who dislikes certain food are racist.

A child is racist if parents are racist too, because a kindergarten boy or girl is not yet able to think with is own head (about politics and difference from different people, I mean)

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Hmmm biscuits.
Fun biscuit fact: Digestive biscuits aren't called 'Digestive biscuits' in America (or cookies etc.), because it's illegal to name them that there because there's never been any proof that they aid digestion. :D
I find that interesting.

On topic: As said, this is just another article to make people get all angry at breakfast!
Take no notice.
The words "might", "could", these indicate that it's all b*llocks.

What is true: There's a guidance report thing, it's aimed at reducing racism in young children, there's some hint that dislike to foreign food might be a sign of racism. It was probably not worded very well, or the Telegraph is really twisting it.

James

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...picy-food-racist,-say-report.html

:mad: You are racist against me :mad:

*Stomps out of thread*

Lol, Just kidding, that really is stupid though.

Btw:
Biscuits are the BOMB!

Status
Not open for further replies.