Article Requests Thread

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The articles system presents an opportunity for our community to create a useful and comprehensive resource covering all aspects of ADISC and AB/DL knowledge. It’s a place where prime content can be collected and highlighted as a practical resource to the both members of and visitors to the ADISC community.

My job as an editor includes both writing new articles and recruiting others to write for ADISC. In this light, I’d like to open the door to suggestions from the ADISC community regarding what topics on which you’d like to see articles.

So here’s how this works: you suggest article ideas in the thread, and I’ll add reasonable suggestions to a running list below in the original post.

If you see an article idea on the list which you'd like to tackle, then send a PM to BOTH Fruitkitty and Geno to say you'd like to write it and I'll note here that you're in the process of writing it. As an incentive for writing articles, accepted articles automatically earn at least one point of rep, and exceptional articles may receive multiple points of rep.

Ideas for Articles:

Specific Ideas

-Advanced Social Guide to IRC
-ABDL Blogs
-Getting Caught
-The Definitive AB/DL Glossary
-Why Not to Seek Incontinence
-AB/DL Clothing Guide
-Hair Removal below the Face
-List of Shops
-History of AB/DL in Popular Culture
-Effect of Pacifier Use on Adult Teeth
-Diaper Sizing
-Hiding Diapers (after use)
-Guide to Living with an AB/DL for non-AB/DLs
-Guide for Parents

Ideas Currently Being Worked

Last edited:
Reactions: siysiy
NightFox said:
I've typed up a few long posts detailing body shaving. If you want, it wouldn't be too much to turn them into articles.

PM'ed and noted on the list.

I'd strongly support more articles geared towards individuals who aren't *B/DL but have friends or partners who are and want to learn more about why people are interested in it, dispelling myths, etc. I'm not *B/DL hardly at all (but have had partners who are), and I've found most of the information I come across is very clearly written for and written by those who are *B/DL themselves.

Reactions: DLWee, Furrytum and PaddedOutdoorsman
I'm slightly irritated that when it made this thread 3 months ago it died in a few days and nobody noticed it, now a new one is stickied and it looks like the staff's idea - oh well, as is life and at least now it exists for good.
(see: http://www.adisc.org/forum/established-contributors-forum/26956-article-requests.html)

Two suggestions that came from the original:
A guide on how to approach the IRC
An article on how to write an article (this may have been in jest)

VersatileandFluffy said:
I'd strongly support more articles geared towards individuals who aren't *B/DL but have friends or partners who are and want to learn more about why people are interested in it, dispelling myths, etc. I'm not *B/DL hardly at all (but have had partners who are), and I've found most of the information I come across is very clearly written for and written by those who are *B/DL themselves.

I'll keep this in mind; I already have "Guide to Acceptance of AB/DLism for significant others, family, friends, peers" listed, but I see what you're saying. Most of this stuff is written from an AB/DL prospective because they make up the bulk of the producers and consumers of AB/DL-related information.

Do you have some specific suggestions for articles which would be helpful? I ask because I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what, specifically, would be helpful to non-AB/DLs who are looking for information into the fetish, because, well, I've never personally been exposed much to that prospective.

WoodlandWanderer said:
I'm slightly irritated that when it made this thread 3 months ago it died in a few days and nobody noticed it, now a new one is stickied and it looks like the staff's idea - oh well, as is life and at least now it exists for good.
(see: http://www.adisc.org/forum/established-contributors-forum/26956-article-requests.html)

Two suggestions that came from the original:
A guide on how to approach the IRC
An article on how to write an article (this may have been in jest)

Great minds think alike - consider it a compliment :)

IRC Chat: There's a wiki article on IRC chat, but it's entire technical. Added.

There are currently several technical articles by Moo about how to write an article with respect to submitting content to the system. There's an article I've written personally on how to write a good forum post. There is not yet, however, an article on how to write a good article - and it would probably make sense for me to write it. Added, and claimed by me.

Last edited:
babyjess said:
Maybe some articles on how to make your own diaper, with pictures, would be good. It seems to be a question that comes up fairly often, and I know it's in the wiki but being able to write a step-by-step article with photographs, which we can then direct people who ask to, might be helpful.

If anybody makes ctheir own cloth diapers or onesies or anything else like that too and can write instructions with step-by-step pictures I think they would all be useful as well.

Added.

NutFreeFruitcake said:
I'll keep this in mind; I already have "Guide to Acceptance of AB/DLism for significant others, family, friends, peers" listed, but I see what you're saying. Most of this stuff is written from an AB/DL prospective because they make up the bulk of the producers and consumers of AB/DL-related information.

Do you have some specific suggestions for articles which would be helpful? I ask because I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what, specifically, would be helpful to non-AB/DLs who are looking for information into the fetish, because, well, I've never personally been exposed much to that prospective.

Well, one thing I know I looked for and couldn't find (hence I had to ask, and got a few answers on, varying in helpfulness): How to put a diaper on someone else. For those of us with partners who are AB/DLs, this is something that might be quite helpful. Perhaps also suggestions for how to discuss and deal with potential issues in a relationship between a AB/DL and a non-AB/DL? For example, how to get over initial discomfort or worries for the non-AB/DL partner, and how to figure out a reasonable balance between the AB/DL's wants and the partner's comfort level.

Just a few thoughts; I'll do some further thinking on the matter.

How about an article for covert storage and disposal for used diapers? So many of us live at home, and disposal can be a huge hassle, not to mention risk. I think it would make a good article.

VersatileandFluffy said:
Well, one thing I know I looked for and couldn't find (hence I had to ask, and got a few answers on, varying in helpfulness): How to put a diaper on someone else. For those of us with partners who are AB/DLs, this is something that might be quite helpful. Perhaps also suggestions for how to discuss and deal with potential issues in a relationship between a AB/DL and a non-AB/DL? For example, how to get over initial discomfort or worries for the non-AB/DL partner, and how to figure out a reasonable balance between the AB/DL's wants and the partner's comfort level.

Just a few thoughts; I'll do some further thinking on the matter.

I've added some ideas along these lines. Anything you can come up with that is specific will be helpful.

sparkmaster said:
How about an article for covert storage and disposal for used diapers? So many of us live at home, and disposal can be a huge hassle, not to mention risk. I think it would make a good article.

Added "Guide to Hiding Diapers" to the list.

Added a bunch of ideas based on topics where the Wiki articles are lacking.

NutFreeFruitcake said:
Added a bunch of ideas based on topics where the Wiki articles are lacking.

One comment and a question regarding the Wiki:

First, I like the new page in the Wiki with all the terms. That's a pretty good idea! :smile:

Second, since you mention the Wiki, I'm wondering: Is there a plan to develop some of sort of guideline as to what topics belong in the wiki and which in the articles to prevent overlap? (Sorry to derail the thread a bit, especially if there is not a quick answer to this question - if you prefer I can open a new thread in the Admin Stuff forum.)

Re: "Specific ideas": there are a lot of overlaps here with wiki content, some of which already exists (case in point: binge/purge cycle). Something to think about with the article system: how is this going to differ from the existing ADISC wiki? Or: when does a topic belong in the wiki and when is an article a better idea? Presently, it seems to me that both the article system and the wiki system are trying to achieve similar goals, which is 1) redundant, and 2) confusing to new members, so as think about new content, we should bear this tension in mind and try to sort it out.

The primary difference between the two, as expressed by the staff, is:
Moo said:
How does this differ from the wiki?
In the wiki, anyone can edit pages.
In the articles system, only the original creator of the post/article, and the ADISC staff, may edit it.
Articles also show up as authored by their original creator.

Thus, the only difference is in who can edit it (the last point does not hold, as anyone can easily put a stamp of authorship in a wiki). Realistically, however, the wiki tends to be used for general things, things about which someone might think, "Gee, I wonder about X." Articles, on the other hand, tend to be freer in form -- personal takes on things more than cut-and-dry, informative pieces -- e.g. "Ten Tips for Newbies" and "To Tell or Not to Tell."

Nutfreefruitcake, you have things listed like how to hide diapers after use, how to put on a diaper, IRC guides, guides to clothing, ABDL blogs (which I already created a pretty thorough wiki page for several weeks ago), and so forth, which clearly fit into category of wiki material, things that people can freely add to, things that best kept short, pithy, and objective. I think that to make these things into articles is, as I said above, redundant and confusing.

Just some thoughts. I think both the article system and wiki are good ideas with a lot of potential, but if they start to step on each other's toes, they'll be more of a hinderance to each other than a help.

HogansHeroes said:
One comment and a question regarding the Wiki:

First, I like the new page in the Wiki with all the terms. That's a pretty good idea! :smile:

Second, since you mention the Wiki, I'm wondering: Is there a plan to develop some of sort of guideline as to what topics belong in the wiki and which in the articles to prevent overlap? (Sorry to derail the thread a bit, especially if there is not a quick answer to this question - if you prefer I can open a new thread in the Admin Stuff forum.)

slim said:
Re: "Specific ideas": there are a lot of overlaps here with wiki content, some of which already exists (case in point: binge/purge cycle). Something to think about with the article system: how is this going to differ from the existing ADISC wiki? Or: when does a topic belong in the wiki and when is an article a better idea? Presently, it seems to me that both the article system and the wiki system are trying to achieve similar goals, which is 1) redundant, and 2) confusing to new members, so as think about new content, we should bear this tension in mind and try to sort it out.

The primary difference between the two, as expressed by the staff, is:

Thus, the only difference is in who can edit it (the last point does not hold, as anyone can easily put a stamp of authorship in a wiki). Realistically, however, the wiki tends to be used for general things, things about which someone might think, "Gee, I wonder about X." Articles, on the other hand, tend to be freer in form -- personal takes on things more than cut-and-dry, informative pieces -- e.g. "Ten Tips for Newbies" and "To Tell or Not to Tell."

Nutfreefruitcake, you have things listed like how to hide diapers after use, how to put on a diaper, IRC guides, guides to clothing, ABDL blogs (which I already created a pretty thorough wiki page for several weeks ago), and so forth, which clearly fit into category of wiki material, things that people can freely add to, things that best kept short, pithy, and objective. I think that to make these things into articles is, as I said above, redundant and confusing.

Just some thoughts. I think both the article system and wiki are good ideas with a lot of potential, but if they start to step on each other's toes, they'll be more of a hinderance to each other than a help.

These are good questions, and they come from the fact that there hasn't been necessarily been a particularly large or particularly clear statement as to what the intent is going forward with the two systems.

The overarching intent is, in the long-term, for the Articles System to supplant the Wiki as the main community knowledge-base for ADISC. Not tomorrow, not next month, but eventually when we hit a point where the Articles System has articles on all of the topics wherein there are currently decent Wiki articles.

The two systems are indeed largely parallel, and frankly, the content written for the Articles System tends to be of higher average quality. The Wiki has a bevy of organizational issues and less than ideal articles; there's a huge time commitment that would need to be made in order to maintain the two systems in parallel, and the benefits of doing so seem minimal.

It is, by design, that the list of topics I added are redundant with existing Wiki topics. I've gone through the Wiki to see what topics have articles on which we can greatly improve by writing a dedicated article for the new system. This isn't to discount the efforts of those who contributed to those Wiki articles, but that I think these topics above can be greatly improved upon (indeed, I'll often be pointing those interested in writing on those topics to the Wiki articles as a starting point).

babyjess said:
As a member who collects pacifiers and has over 200 I suppose I should volunteer myself for this one! I have bought enough pacifiers from international sellers to have a range of pacifers from around the world so I guess I have pretty good knowledge of pacifiers. My camera isn't great, but it can take decent pictures. I would be happy to write a guide to the more common/popular brands.

This would be awesome - that's an impressive resume for the task. You've got it :)

NightFox said:
I didn't want to start a thread for this, and it seems related enough to the content here to throw it out.

Does it bug anyone aside from me that there are pages in the Wiki written conversationally? For example:

Source

I've thought about retyping these more technically when I come across them, but I've stopped not knowing if I'm the only person this bugs. Also, this happens all over the wiki, so fixing all of it would be quite an involved task.

I don't think such is necessarily a problem in an article, as articles can be written personally. But it tends to irk me in something that's supposed to be a reference document.

This does irk me, and it's one of several very pervasive and time-consuming problems that would have to be fixed in order to bring the Wiki up to a point of adequate maintenance.

I'd suggest that it's simply not worth the effort to go back and edit every article for this, in light of the fact that we're likely to rewrite/reword the content anyway as we write articles for the new system.

For future reference, I would, generally speaking, like to keep issues about the more specific issues of the Wiki like this out of this thread. Instead, PM me, start a requests thread, or if it's warranted, start a thread in the Admin forum.

Added "Guide to Basic Sewing" to list.

I'm happy to write some articles on sewing. I've been making my own clothes for 27 years so i've picked up some skills along the way.

Back