are tykables really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissAmy

little diaper princess
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
i read a lot of reviews about tykables and haven't heard anything bad about them, only how they're the best diapers ever made. can anyone confirm that? i've been looking to try something new, something very babyish with refastenable tapes. i heard that besides being very absorbent they now have some ridiculously strong velcro tapes that can be refastened infinitely, and i also heard they run a bit on the small side which is perfect for a thin girl like me.

so does anyone have anything bad to say about them? to me it all sounds like the perfect abdl diaper, just as all the reviews claim

They are a good diaper I normally wear Betterdry or Crinklz but ai tried a case of their over nights and waddlers was not impressed by the waddlers bit the over nights were a absorbent diaper the prints are to babyish for me as I am not ABDL just iC. if they made a plain white version I would definitely add them to my diaper supply.

I've tried a pack, but I doubt that I'll buy any more.
As with all all-in-ones, they're an engineering compromise and it's doubtful that they'll tick every box for everyone.
I prefer the cut of things like Rearz.
Tykables also have a lesser pad-to-elastic width which makes them more likely to leak as the plastic can't properly cup around the pad.
The whole Velcro tape system is also pointless, given that such was designed to be more practical when using creams (since sticky-tape doesn't stick when handled by creamy hands), yet the rest of the dispy can't withstand creams.
And, as with most of the ABDL dispies, they're incredibly ugly in their graphics and colour schemes.
That said, they quite absorbent and I'm sure they'll do the job for some, just not for me.

To sum up, not entirely loathsome, but certainly not winsome.

i’ve worn them for quite some time. the tapes are good and never gave me trouble on the newer designs (the older phased out design did give me some trouble). In terms of absorbency they hold a lot and the only issues I ever had was one or two leaks from the leg guards, but I didn’t tape them on properly then. I do still hear the leg guards get the most critique from others though. As for the Lil Rawrs I haven’t heard anything negative outside of comments about the print/pattern being weird.

They are a very good product, tapes are awesome, strongly attached to the back sheet. I wore a overnight and my only complaint is the padding when dry is a little stiff. All other aspects of the diaper are great.
Can’t wait to try the new improved galactic or the new Rawrs, heard that it’s a great diaper and the stiffness of the padding is gone

I loved the Tykables Overnights, the Velcro tapes were a godsend for me because I don't usually wet my diapers. I like babyish prints too. The only tiny complaint I had was the stiffness of the shell, I prefer my diapers to be soft on the outside and inside, but that was by no means a deal breaker. Easy recommendation.

They're an okay diaper, I definitely wouldn't say the best though. In my experience it almost starts out like you're wearing cardboard--they're quite hard, dense, and stiff with no real floof at all--which I found quite uncomfortable. They also have a pretty narrow cut like Crinklz iirc which I consider a bit of a downside and although they swell a bit they kind of just seem to sag and don't really wick very well

Last edited:
I tried a sample and I liked it, great diaper.

For me it all comes down to the print and feel, which is why Rearz Lil Monsters are my "best" diaper; they are not too bulky, they are absorbent, soft, scented, wetness indicator and I love the print and colours etc... I'm sad that they have been discontinued but a new version is coming out in a few weeks.

ade said:
I prefer the cut of things like Rearz.
You should try our new Waddle Cut diapers like the Little Rawrs and Galactic.

ade said:
The whole Velcro tape system is also pointless, given that such was designed to be more practical when using creams (since sticky-tape doesn't stick when handled by creamy hands), yet the rest of the dispy can't withstand creams.
Actually the main point of the Active Littles Grips, our hook and loop system, is so that they are refastening or adjustable. It just so happens that they are also less prone to issues such as creams and powder. Most people do not use cream. Though I am not sure what you mean by they "can not withstand creams." The biggest reason people can not use cream with most printed diapers is because the print is on the outside, ours are not. Creams do not alter our products really unless you have a ton of it, to the point that it is seeping through the inner lining.

Topex said:
In my experience it almost starts out like you're wearing cardboard--they're quite hard, dense, and stiff with no real floof at all--which I found quite uncomfortable.
This is more noticable in previous diapers where they were packed tightly. In our newer products like the Little Rawrs and Galactic we have made sure that the bags are not as tightly packed which reduces this.

Topex said:
They also have a pretty narrow cut like Crinklz iirc which I consider a bit of a downside
This again is not true for all of our products. Our new Little Rawrs and Galactic have a wider cut to them than previous products.

Reactions: LilGuyLilDreams and tomviper000
They are REALLY REALLY good! The tape panel is awesome, tapes re-fasten properly every time, they absorb super well AND the odour control is one of the best I've used.

If I didn't live in the EU and thus it would be cheaper for me to get these nappies, I'd use them a whole lot more.

Oh! I'm wearing one right now, too :) And as I was putting them on, I was really happy to see the diaper is wider than Crinklz. That is one of the only bad things about Crinklz IMO even though they perform very well, too.

Last edited:
todaler said:
This is more noticable in previous diapers where they were packed tightly. In our newer products like the Little Rawrs and Galactic we have made sure that the bags are not as tightly packed which reduces this.
The issue isn't that they were packed tightly. I also always let any diaper sit out and have room to settle after being packaged and even have tried fluffing them to no avail. That also doesn't change the construction of the mat or shell which contributes to the cardboard feeling

Your simple question has a complicated list of answers. Are they good? Yes. Are they among the best. Highly debatable, but I would say so. Are they for everyone? No. Why? Buy a sample and figure it out yourself. No one product is the end-all be-all of anything unless there literally is no competition available. I can only tell you how about how good they are; it is up to you to validate any opinion for yourself. Do you like it? Yes/No/Meh... That's something only you can answer.

The question that you should be asking is are they worth trying? Yes

Why? Absorbency, cute prints, comfortable and ECT.

For the price they are about right not to say they are cheap but the money you pay is fair for what you get.

Reactions: TyphaHare
The only real way to know if you'll like them is to try them and see if they work for you.

I've tried a bunch of ABU diapers and...several of them don't work for me even though I love the print. (Little Paws/Preschool have consistent issues with the tapes coming off of the wings...not sure what's up with it unless it's something I don't realize I'm doing or a flaw with the diaper itself.)

I haven't tried Tykables 'cause I didn't like the colors of the older prints. XD

I have no use for hook and loop tabs on a diaper. The landing panel is no longer smooth plastic and that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. It's a subjective complaint but many of the most strongly held feelings we have about the diapers we love or hate are subjective. If they're appealing to you on technical merits, try a sample and see what you think.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I can get not liking the panel if smooth and shiny and crinkly is what you want.
For me it's very handy since I like to wet a lot when at home and I can just adjust. Also, I can wear the same diaper the whole day if it has adjustable tabs by having another super-cheapo diaper inside to wet, and just changing the inner diaper during the day. This is also a fun method for me to wear some actual baby nappies :3 Just change the inner one and I'm good~

Topex said:
The issue isn't that they were packed tightly. I also always let any diaper sit out and have room to settle after being packaged and even have tried fluffing them to no avail. That also doesn't change the construction of the mat or shell which contributes to the cardboard feeling

The packing and compression during manufacturing actually makes a huge difference in what you are talking about. The more compressed and compacted a diaper is the stiffer it will feel. The shell doesn't play as large of a factor as you might think. The Overnights for example have our thinnest shell on them currently, which makes it the softest. If you think that the Overnights feels this way, it is not the shell it is the compression. The only true way to "fluff them" up is to wear them. After being compacted for 6+ weeks simply taking them out of the bag will not be enough. That is why we have made the bags for the Galactic and Little Rawrs larger.

Reactions: LilGuyLilDreams, TyphaHare, pampers4U and 1 other person
Yeah, that's how it is.
I actually like the feeling of a compact diaper, but fluff is real nice, too. I always take my diapers out of the packs, place them in a box etc.. and let them de-compress on their own. They fluff up on their own quite a lot, but it won't make them bounce right back up, or to the fullest.
I have some old diapers I haven't touched which have fluffed up IMMENSELY by being left to de-compress for 3 years and they have also gone trough several moves. Either from a stash to another or from an old apartment to a new one. So they've got gently shaken up slowly during 3 years.. :O

I tend to shake or twist my nappies gently before putting them on. Then they perform better and feel fluffier. Sometimes I'm lazy and just let them fluff up as I walk around.

In a word, YES!

Both I and my partner like the stiffness of the Overnights. The are still soft enough to be comfortable, but the stiffness reminds you that you are wearing something, and helps to set a mood. Then, if and when they do get wet, they go from thin and stiff to super huge and squishy (with no leaks). They have a super wide crotch that works for me, as crinklz don't. That also works for my partner, as she has more need for more padding down low.

The new Rawrz and Galactic are also amazing. They are both fluffy and soft, where the Overnights are stiff and thin(ish)...((ok, super thick, but thinner?))
I realy like how soft these are. They're softer than some of the almost pure pulp diapers like a Safari, but after use, they clearly are high SAP diapers. I thought nothing would hold more than the Overnights until I tried a Rawrz. Just wow.

Something that should be noted for All of Tykables. Oder control is the best there is. I currently have over 25 different types of diaper in my playroom, and have tried a hundred more. Nothing has ever beat Tykables for Oder control.

I tried a case, and they were actually surprisingly good

They were the first Velcro fastening diapers I’ve tried, and were actually not bad. Though I did find that wearing them when I’m working did have some issues with the Velcro

At the end of the day, they’re a pretty good diaper imo, but for the price per unit I don’t love them enough to order more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back