Are early memories involving diapers linked to wearing in adulthood?

Osthagen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
My theory has always been that having memories about diapers/nappies from being a baby or young child leads to inclinations to wear them in adulthood or teenage years. What I’m certainly not saying at all that this is the only reason why some become DLs, but I think it could make it more likely. Or that seems to be part of it;

My wife and I are both DLs. We both have known it since before we were teenagers. Both of us have memories of wearing nappies from being small children. I remember, for example, just a bit before my second birthday, getting changed after being babysat by a neighbor's then-teenaged daughter and my mother noticing that the nappy I was wearing was on backwards (the tapes were stuck at the back). I have a few more memories that involve me either wearing a nappy or having one changed.
My wife says remembers being a rebellious two-year-old and taking things from her parents, small things like batteries and coins, and putting them inside of her nappy!

Though this didn't directly incline us to wear nappies, in my case I was given them for betwetting issues when I was 11, I think it might have made us like them when we did come to wearing them later on. What do you think?

I have a single incident burned in my mind about diapers from a very young age. To a casual observer, it was absolutely innocuous but it stuck with me. I'm less likely to think this as so much of a trigger as that it sticks with me because there something in me that finds diapers, diapering, and baby things and status appealing. I think each individual incident looms large for me because of this unexpected preoccupation.

It's definitely an interesting theory, but I don't really think there is a set answer or explanation for all this. I tend to believe it is something you are born with, but then how do you explain the countless people who became involved with diapers and regression much later in their lives? I think imprinting is the theory that gets the most dues in this community, this notion that what we are predisposed or bonded to begins shortly after birth. There's also the old-fashioned theory that AB/DL desires stem as a means of coping with childhood trauma and abuse, but that just isn't true for most of us; I had a happy childhood, no abuse, no trauma, I wasn't even spanked and yet, I still enjoy my diapers, rompers, babas and pacis and regressing for a while 😄

Perhaps these memories for you and your wife are the pivotal moments at which you realized your were DLs, there's a chance that these memories in and of themselves are not the sole reasons why :unsure:

Take me for instance, I have no strong memories related to diapers or babyhood at all. I just remember one day at the age of 5 or 6, getting up and deciding, "wouldn't it be nice to be a baby again!". It seems like such an oddly specific thought to have manifest out of the blue, so I believe my AB side was likely present before this revelation. My AB side isn't tethered to early memories, it just appears to be something innate in me.

I guess, my true thoughts on this... everyone is different! Logic would dictate that there is not one single reason behind why people turn out AB/DL.

Bottomline, maybe those diaper memories are the reason you and your wife are DLs and then again, maybe they're not. I think the reason why you're a DL will be different from the reason somebody else is, just like the reason I'm an AB differs from your reasons for wearing diapers. Everyone comes to AB/DL differently, it often defies explanation :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Halibut and Trevor
It's highly doubtfull there is any one underlying reason for us ending up this way. Some members here will swear it's from early on abuse, others it's from being forced back into diapers because of bedwetting as late as in their teens. Me, my first memory is being told by my mom that if I was wearing a diaper AGAIN to go take it off. So I really have no idea why I'm compelled to be a dl, I just am.

I've many times described the one memory I have of being put in a diaper--as a three-year-old, at bedtime. Is it linked to my wearing diapers today? I suppose I'll go out on a limb and say: Yes! I believe it is. In fact, I think there may even be a causal relationship, although it's probably not what most people would think of, and not what the OP is suggesting. Instead, I think my interest in diapers probably caused this memory--in a way.

I'm pretty certain the memory is real, and it's also the oldest memory I can recall. That's kind of a suspicious coincidence for somebody who likes diapers, isn't it? Why did I keep this diaper memory while all my other memories from the same time period faded away? Well, I theorize that I have this memory, and that other ABDLs have similar memories... because we like these memories! I liked diapers from an early age, and so I kept recalling--kept refreshing, in a sense--this memory of being diapered. My uncommon interest in diapers made this common childhood experience of being put in a diaper memorable, and gave it enduring relevance. Preschool-age me rewrote toddler-me's memory. Kindergarten-age me rewrote preschool-age me's memory, etc. Some of my earliest experiences playing with diapers as a six-year-old centered on reenacting this memory. And it's probably no coincidence that I remember reenacting this memory as a six-year-old when so many of the other things I did when I was six have dissolved into the mists of time. These memories all hitched a ride on the same train, because I kept liking diapers.

So, basically, my theory is exactly the opposite of the OP's theory. :) But, I'm no psychologist. It's just my own pet theory. I don't think these memories in any way caused me to become ABDL. If anything, it's the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halibut and Trevor
Everyone has made some great points and I tend to agree with all of them.

Almost every ABDL I know is always looking for the "smoking gun" source of our love of diapers.

Interestingly, a therapist once asked me a disturbing question.....

"If I could discover the source of these feelings toward diapers and regression fantasies, and I found a cure for you, would you allow yourself to be cured and be rid of these babyish feelings forever?"

Until she asked me that, I had never thought about it. Wow! That blew my mind!

No I told her, I NEVER wanted to be "cured" of this: I LOVE MY DIAPERS. 🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: littlemoosey
I don't know, my first recollection of an incident didn't involve diapers but was a girl that wet herself standing right in front of me, facing me with her hand between her legs and pee gushing through her panties. That was first grade and I was totally fascinated right away and still am. As far as diapers, also at a very young age I would have dreams about my female schoolmates in diapers. As a bedwetter, I wanted to wear them but my mom was very strict about me not wearing them even though I was not wetting intentionally. So, there are 2 different scenarios in my case so I'd have to say it's just in my genes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DD3475DL and Subtlerustle
For me, I think that it played a major role. I still have this very nice memory of my mother diapering me, I was about 3 or 4. There were other things in my life that helped seal the deal, but I think that was a catalyst.

I don't know if this had anything to do with me liking diapers now. One of my earliest memories is camping with my family. I must of been 4 or 5 years old and still had trouble keeping the bed dry at night. My mom didn't want to have a wet sleeping bag so she put a Pampers on me. This was in the late 60's when Pampers first came out. It seems like they didn't have tapes on them and you had to pin them on. I remember crying at first because I didn't want to wear a diaper. But after getting them on I liked the smell of the Pampers and the feel of the plastic. I remember that box of Pampers was kept in the back of our car for years and every once in a while I would sneak one out and smell it and put one on. Loved it. Even today the smell I love the smell of Pampers.

Reactions: PapaBear001 and littlemoosey
I can directly counter this claim!
A lack of memory fuled my earliest desires for diaper because it made my extremely curious 🐻

Infact my only real diaper memory includes being unaware that I used my diaper/undies

For me I do see a direct relation for sure. My brother passed away when I was two years and I was sent to live with another family for awhile. They of course were diapering me and taking care of me while my parents grieved and tried to get their life back in order. I think the act of being taken care was very impactful to me in some way, think it stayed with me somehow as a deep body memory.
Also when I was four a babysitter I went to almost every afternoon put me back in plastic pampers after I pooped my pants on the way back from school. It was humiliating but I also feel in love with the feeling, the smell of the diaper and the sound.
While I agree with others this is not the only way one connects to this for me it is certainly the main way I think it started.

Reactions: BusyBritches
BusyBritches said:
Everyone has made some great points and I tend to agree with all of them.

Almost every ABDL I know is always looking for the "smoking gun" source of our love of diapers.

Interestingly, a therapist once asked me a disturbing question.....

"If I could discover the source of these feelings toward diapers and regression fantasies, and I found a cure for you, would you allow yourself to be cured and be rid of these babyish feelings forever?"

No I told her, I NEVER wanted to be "cured" of this: I LOVE MY DIAPERS. 🤭
We had a recent thread about quitting or not ever having had the desire.

As to causes, we do appear to be pretty interested in that as a group. I'd be happy enough to know if I could get an omniscient explanation. I doubt it's any one reason. I don't think knowing would matter much. What I do with it is way more important than how I got here and this is a good place.

I would say yes, because when I was a child I wasn't out of diapers until I became 5yrs of age due to my disabilities so I had a late start to my potty training.

This has left me with a desire to wear diapers as a adult to regress back to those care-free happy years as specially as I have ptsd and depression issues,(see my earlier replies).

I would say without a doubt wearing diapers as a child lead me to become who I am today, and although my body is now failing me and has left me to become partially incontinent through no fault of my own it has blessed me with a second chance at childhood.

And yes I do enjoy being in diapers as they remind me that I am still a child at heart as well as protecting me from countless embarrasing situations so yes I would say I will be in diapers for the rest of my life and this is something I now fulluly embrace.

Yours sincerly
Chinababy888.

Reactions: KCA and bakukid23
BusyBritches said:

It takes a GOOD doctor to overcome the overpowering desire to "fix" everything, and take into account of and accept what their patients do and do NOT want to "fix".

This moral dilema is difficult to relate to when considering something we all like and don't want "fixed", but it also must apply to things that are more commonly seen as needing to be fixed, like smoking or obesity.

Last edited:
I think I was a DL when I was 2,3,4 and onward.

I don't think that I am a DL today because I enjoyed being pampered as a baby, I think I have always enjoyed being pampered and that feeling has never gone away. My memories of being 4 years old and being infatuated with diapers is the same feeling I get today.

I was out of diapers when I was 2, I have only 3 or 4 memories of being in a diaper. When I was 3 I still wore diapers to bed but it was being phased out and I kept asking to be put in diapers.

I'm new to ABDL as I just discovered ABDL and ABDL diapers, If I lived on my own I would likely wear 24/7 and have my diapers stocked out in the open (bedroom or washroom) with baby powder and oil. I'm not AB so that would be the extent of it.

I have been in love with diapers as long as I can remember . I never was a bed wetter , I have no memory of being in diapers as a small child and have no history of diaper punishment . However as a small child I would self sooth myself with diaper fantasies my fantasies always helped me cope with what I consider a stressful and disfunctional childhood.
It wasn't until my mid twenties that I acquired my first diapers and after that I have made it a point that diapers would always be in stock for my personal needs.

I cannot remember that well but i have memories about being in diapers when i was a child and even have photos of me in diapers when others my age then is probably out of them , i wasn't a bedwetter but i fantasize being in one as early as in year one of primary/elementary school which is roughly 5 or 6 years old which also coincidentally when i was potty trained and out of diapers at around this age.

This is a very interesting theory about having memories of being in diapers as a baby/child can lead to being ab/dl.

Reactions: Chinababy888
Memories of being changed after being bathed, also vague memories of being in a daycare but I cannot remember knowing or feeling I had a diaper on, though I know for sure from my parents that I was as I was wearing them 24/7 til the age of 4. I vividly remember the last morning when I was 4 and a bit, woke up dry, but I so loved how that diaper felt on me and didn't want to say goodbye to it.
I desperatly tried to use it but didn't really need to go, which is strange as normally after a full night's sleep you'd have a full bladder..

After that I cherished this memory for I was never diapered again. Not even after multiple accidents during the day and night for several years

Reactions: Chinababy888, Unicycleman and BusyBritches
I think the first time I found out that I liked wearing diapers was as a child in 1981/1982 aged less than a year and a half at the time although definately before I was 2 years old although my first memories of being diapred are from much earlier in my childhood and are from when I was only 18 months young.

And I have to admit every time I was put into Pampers/Huggies or other similar brands I felt warlm safe and protected and most importantly loved as the feeling was heavenly, although as a child I had no pre conception about branding until I was about 5 years old in 1985.

After that the want to wear diapers never really went away eventhough I could not wear them again, however I was still using them until I turned 10 in private of cause during my regression sessions where I would wear one or two to go back to being a child as specially because mom was worried I would wetyself skept my old supply of diapers from pampers which where of cause called babydry and where xl or for toddlers up to the weight of 30kgs and had still over 100 diapers in a purple coloured value pack or box.

After 10 years of age my supply of diapers gradually ran dry as my younger brother who was just three at that time, had been out of them by then however I used to make my own makeshift diapers out of tissues until I discovred I could get adult diapers(see bellow).

However in 1992/1993, can't be sure what year I suffered from at least 2 epilleptic seizures and I suspect now this left me with neurological damage although this has never been confirmed.

In 2010 I became incontinent but not because I wanted or even choose to do so it just happened after I became 30 years of age and concequently had to go back to wearing diapers something I think my body and mind may have been hinting at all along and I now wear them virtually 24/7 but mostly at nighttimes before bed.

Only problem is my pearents don't agree that I need diapers and this causes a big rift in my relationship with them, every time I am caught wearing one I on the other hand am not aobsessed by them but actually need them.

And by them I mean diapers, and have accepted that I will be diapred for the rest of my life and this isn't a problem because it also apart from saves me from embarrasing situations does make me feel young again.

And that's really not a bad thing because I am now almost 40 at the time of this post and am wearing diapers for both continence and for psychological reasons as I like being padded like a child, although these are my reasons.

Anyway aside from all that I also suffer from ptsd and depression brought about by years of being a victim of bullying in the form of physical and mental abuse and all because of my autism and because I am different.

Anyway got to go now.
Yours sincerly

Chinababy888.

Chinababy888 said:
I think the first time I found out that I liked wearing diapers was as a child in 1981/1982 aged less than a year and a half at the time although definately before I was 2 years old although my first memories of being diapred are from much earlier in my childhood and are from when I was only 18 months young.

And I have to admit every time I was put into Pampers/Huggies or other similar brands I felt warlm safe and protected and most importantly loved as the feeling was heavenly, although as a child I had no pre conception about branding until I was about 5 years old in 1985.

After that the want to wear diapers never really went away eventhough I could not wear them again, however I was still using them until I turned 10 in private of cause during my regression sessions where I would wear one or two to go back to being a child as specially because mom was worried I would wetyself skept my old supply of diapers from pampers which where of cause called babydry and where xl or for toddlers up to the weight of 30kgs and had still over 100 diapers in a purple coloured value pack or box.

After 10 years of age my supply of diapers gradually ran dry as my younger brother who was just three at that time, had been out of them by then however I used to make my own makeshift diapers out of tissues until I discovred I could get adult diapers(see bellow).

However in 1992/1993, can't be sure what year I suffered from at least 2 epilleptic seizures and I suspect now this left me with neurological damage although this has never been confirmed.

In 2010 I became incontinent but not because I wanted or even choose to do so it just happened after I became 30 years of age and concequently had to go back to wearing diapers something I think my body and mind may have been hinting at all along and I now wear them virtually 24/7 but mostly at nighttimes before bed.

Only problem is my pearents don't agree that I need diapers and this causes a big rift in my relationship with them, every time I am caught wearing one I on the other hand am not aobsessed by them but actually need them.

And by them I mean diapers, and have accepted that I will be diapred for the rest of my life and this isn't a problem because it also apart from saves me from embarrasing situations does make me feel young again.

And that's really not a bad thing because I am now almost 40 at the time of this post and am wearing diapers for both continence and for psychological reasons as I like being padded like a child, although these are my reasons.

Anyway aside from all that I also suffer from ptsd and depression brought about by years of being a victim of bullying in the form of physical and mental abuse and all because of my autism and because I am different.

Anyway got to go now.
Yours sincerly

Chinababy888.
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Chinababy888
Back