Are diapers an addiction for abdls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gcanyon

Est. Contributor
Just curious...any parallels to other addictions or can a distinction be made?

If it is an addiction it is a totally harmless one. No one ever died or got seriously ill from wearing a nappy.

while addictions can be both chemical and psychological, diapers are definitetly psychological. And IMHO that makes them a lot nicer to have. They're easy to stop or pause if you need to. You're so much less likely to be influenced to "do something you wouldn't normally do" while in their influence or to try to get your next fix ;)

The worst thing that happens is you may have less money than you need/want for other things. But since I kicked my other "chemical" addictions, my "fun" money has gone down from nearly $150 a month to about $50 a month. I would say being addicted to diapers isn't wholly healthy money-wise for someone who's in poverty/college, but it's not quite as bad as pretty much any drug addiction. xP

I feel that anything can be an addiction. I consider myself someone with an addictive personality, and I'm constantly "checking" myself to make sure I don't go overboard with whatever my 'collection of the season' is.

If the money that someone spends on diapers and related supplies results in them not being able to pay the bills for the month, or if it's getting in the way of being able to go to work, for example, then it would be worth taking a step back and looking at the big picture. This threshold will matter from person to person, of course.

bambinod said:
while addictions can be both chemical and psychological, diapers are definitetly psychological. And IMHO that makes them a lot nicer to have.

Heheh...right!

I guess.

I mean, I'm glad that skipping my diaper "fix" doesn't make me violently physically ill! (*vomits* Pampers! Must... *vomit* *cough* *sputter* have... *burp* *sniffle* *moan* Pampers!!!!!)

Anyway, yeah, I think there are quite a few of us who'd consider diapers to be an addiction. Whether they land in the same part of the brain is perhaps debatable, but it probably doesn't matter from a practical standpoint. We've all probably experienced something akin to withdrawals from going without. For me, those withdrawals take the form of constantly intruding diaper thoughts, which are mostly pleasant but also distracting. :)

I think it definitely can be. As far as additions go, it's very cheap.

Katarn89 said:
I think it definitely can be. As far as additions go, it's very cheap.

/me looks in his diaper cabinet and closet and wonders.... (I actually added it up today, I have 99 unopened bags of various types)

Kristopher said:
I feel that anything can be an addiction. I consider myself someone with an addictive personality, and I'm constantly "checking" myself to make sure I don't go overboard with whatever my 'collection of the season' is.

If the money that someone spends on diapers and related supplies results in them not being able to pay the bills for the month, or if it's getting in the way of being able to go to work, for example, then it would be worth taking a step back and looking at the big picture. This threshold will matter from person to person, of course.

I agree. I'm another one that has an addictive personality. I have to keep things in check

bambinod said:
/me looks in his diaper cabinet and closet and wonders.... (I actually added it up today, I have 99 unopened bags of various types)

I'd love to see a pic of that.

I think diapers can be an addiction to extent that anything can be an addiction. It's really just a matter of maintaining balance in your life.

Anything literally can be an addiction, even praying.

INTrePid said:
I'd love to see a pic of that.

It's not too dramatic. A cramped walk-in closet with a bunch of cases. I take bags downstairs as needed, and keep the boxes marked with a marker to indicate what's in them, as many boxes contain a mix. I also keep track of how many bags total are in there for each kind, so I can tell if something needs reordering. Though several up there I am simply "working my way through" as I don't intend to reorder. (a few bags of tenas, a few bags of superio, etc) My gallery has pics of my diaper cabinet downstairs. It's out of date, but looks more or less the same. A bag or so of a wide variety of different types.

So at what point does this count as an "addiction"? I think I may be way past that! What do you call it then?

Hmmm, I just spent $380 CDN today on 4 cases of Rearz diapers and a case of boosters (do the math, that's cheap). My accountant would say i'm addicted.

It doesn't seem like addiction to me in theory or practice. The desire came from inside me with no conscious memory of having worn them. It's a sensual, sexual, status thing, not something I was introduced to that became a compulsive habit. Even now that I wear frequently (24/7 again at the moment), I don't see it as an addiction but something added that I enjoy. I've gone without for long stretches but they wind up being appealing again sooner or later.

I never thought of it as an addiction but I can see how it could be.

Trevor said:
It doesn't seem like addiction to me in theory or practice. The desire came from inside me with no conscious memory of having worn them. It's a sensual, sexual, status thing, not something I was introduced to that became a compulsive habit. Even now that I wear frequently (24/7 again at the moment), I don't see it as an addiction but something added that I enjoy. I've gone without for long stretches but they wind up being appealing again sooner or later.

I think this about covers it. Not everything that people want or need is an addiction. Nobody calls regular meals an addiction, even though if you go more than a day without food, you're going to suffer some pretty bad physical symptoms. Like Trevor, I wanted diapers without ever having been introduced to them once out of them from early childhood, and it's a part of my sexual identity. I won't go insane if I don't have them, but they make me pretty happy and to the extent I have disposable income that I could spend on multiple different options, having adequate diapers for my needs is right near the top of my choices.

personally i feel that it is somewhat of an addiction. i havn't worn in about 9 months and i find myself spending more and more time thinking about/craving them as time goes on.

I don't see it as an addiction in my case. When I smoked tobacco I had harsh withdrawls when I had none. That is a key part of addiction.

Diapers for me are like dark chocolate or beer. Things I like but have no problem going without if I have none or the situation makes it not appropriate. I choose to use some things because I like them. When one is really addicted, it is hard or impossible to not have something. Really liking something is not the same as addiction.

Another part of addiction is continuing the behavior despite harmful consequences. Diapers have no harmful consequences in my life. More like someone who likes art or pets. I enjoy it and don't spend more than I can afford so why not?

It's a paraphilia. A psychological attraction. It has the potential to develop into an addiction. Remember what people consider to be an addiction or taking too far is subjective. In my personal opinion, if diapers are impeding you at all from living a healthy, balanced life with friends, family, healthy recreation, exercise and getting all your work done, you my friend are addicted and need to tone things down a notch :biggrin:

Yes, I would say diapers are an addiction. But also offer great protection. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back