• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Apple sued over touchscreen patent infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoogyGlider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover,
Another week, another patent lawsuit against Apple. Touchscreen
technology is the target this time, and the suing party is Taiwan chip designer Elan Microelectronics.

According to a report from Reuters, Elan is suing Apple for allegedly infringing on two of its touchscreen technology patents by incorporating them into the MacBook, iPhone, and iPod Touch. The technology in question allows Apple's products to detect the position of a finger on a touchscreen or touchpad.

Elan claimed in a statement that they had won a similar lawsuit against Synaptics, Inc, so I guess they're feeling good about their chances in this one.

The lawsuit seeks to stop the sales of Apple products that are infringing on the patents. Most likely there will be some monetary compensation too, but Elan did not provide any specific numbers. Apple, on the other hand, has remained mum about the issue.

Apple sued over touchscreen patent infringement - Apple iPhone Games - News, Reviews, Downloads and more.

This is funny how people will sue to get the most money out of anybody

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The guy waits until NOW to sue apple? Haven't the Iphone, Ipod, and macbook been out for a while?

ShoogyGlider

Est. Contributor
Role
yes the iphone and the ipod have been out for my guess would be about ten years now (well not the iphone but the ipod)

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
yes the iphone and the ipod have been out for my guess would be about ten years now (well not the iphone but the ipod)
The Ipod came out around 5 years ago ... I Was in Fith grade at the time.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The Ipod did not have a touch screen until the iphone and the Ipod touch and the Ipod hasn't be around anywhere close to ten years. Even the PS2 isn't that old yet.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well I suppse you've got do our reasearching before you sue on of the world's largest corporations.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Hey, HEY! Is that an LCD monitor?? THAT WAS MY IDEA! You're ALL being sued, you hear me! You can't use LCDs that aren't made by me!! The hell are you thinking?!?!

James

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Companies get sued for some of the silliest things :p

ShoogyGlider

Est. Contributor
Role
Thank you for clarifying that for us MM3.

but it is sad that some people might even wait so long so they can get a person for more money than they would have gotten in the first place because they are more successful with that product

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Thank you for clarifying that for us MM3.

but it is sad that some people might even wait so long so they can get a person for more money than they would have gotten in the first place because they are more successful with that product
Have you ever thought that it took so long due to legal meetings and what not. If you were going to sue a major US company that has TONS more money (such as apple) would you tell them so as soon as you decide to or wait at the last min to surprise them and catch them in a bind?

In any case apple has tons of money and they won't even be really affect by this even if the case does win. Apple does overcharge a few hundred dollars on pretty much all it's computers.

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Lawsuits can actually take 30+ years to finally materialize.

My friend runs a store in Houston selling used Macs. He had an Apple lawyer walk in last month, asking for an original iMac. He said that they needed it for a lawsuit that was filed shortly after the iMac was introduced (1998) that was just getting into the courts now. Though the technology is incredibly obsolete.

CrazyCanuck

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, I'm glad I got my touch before this :smile:

So many of these patents are stupid, how can you patent the idea of finger orientation on a touchscreen? It's a concept, not an actual product. Nortel (or some other company related) once patented the idea of using different thickness lines on equipment displays to represent different things. Simple concept, but nobody can use it because of them.

Kevin

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
I hate patents. They never seem to be utilized properly. The patent system just seems to be completely screwed up. I'm surprised we don't have people claiming they invented water... and suing water companies over it. :laugh:

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
The iPod was first released in 2001 and the iPod Touch was released in 2007, along with the iPhone.

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer
You can sue for pretty much anything now a days.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I hate patents. They never seem to be utilized properly. The patent system just seems to be completely screwed up. I'm surprised we don't have people claiming they invented water... and suing water companies over it. :laugh:
GOD1 said:
... and all these greedy little twits who bottle and sell water, (WATER!) and I don't get a DIME! I swear (oops, hehe) I'm gonna sue their asses back to the dark ages. *picks up phone* Charlene? Yeah, get Lucifer on the phone- yes- look, I know it's awkward talking to him again, but I need him to recommend a lawyer- you know he's got all the good ones down there, and I REALLY want to get these water freaks. Look, I am your BOSS and you will.....
overheard at Gods offices in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.