Apple Computer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
So...I'm looking to get some Apple/Mac computer, but I don't want anything expensive. I don't need anything too fast or fancy. Just something that's not too old, and with easy internet access. I'm hoping to spend under $100, but from what I've seen on eBay, it's seeming unrealistic. I'd prefer some kind of laptop, but if only desktops are cheap enough, then that'd be fine.

Moved to here: Hmm hmm...Well I need an Intel-based Mac. Basically why I want one, is because I'm interested in making applications for iPhone, and you can only do with with an Intel-based Mac apparently. So I don't really need anything fancy, with internet

I didn't mean $1000, I'm cheap, and I'm not interested in paying anything close to that much for what I'm planning on doing with the computer. I also don't need anything new

Last edited:

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
$100 is a bit unrealistic no matter how old you go, even for non mac machines.

S

Secret

I think you mean under 1000$ dollars because under 100$ dollars is realistic if you want this.

Anyway, I would recommend buying the old white macbook, and if are going into college or in college I think you can get a free i-pod to, or an eqaul rebate of the value of the i-pod. I personally have this computer and its great, the new alluminum ones are meh in my opinion and are way to much money. Heck I am even running Counter Strike Source Half Life 2 and Portal on a so so integrated graphics card. So far it hasn't had really any technical problems except some blemishes on the trackpad that the apple store gladly and quickly fixed within a day.

Also another idea is to buy a 250-450$ dollar netbook from dell or another good company. I recommend a Dell Vostro A90
Dell Vostro A90 Laptop Details

And then if you still really want it to be Apple you can always just install leopard.

Or another idea is to go around pawn shops and goodwills untill you find a 100$ dollar laptop before I find it :p

I hope you find your right laptop because mine feels like an exstension of my own body, hahaha.

Role
  1. Private
So...I'm looking to get some Apple/Mac computer, but I don't want anything expensive. I don't need anything too fast or fancy. Just something that's not too old, and with easy internet access. I'm hoping to spend under $100, but from what I've seen on eBay, it's seeming unrealistic. I'd prefer some kind of laptop, but if only desktops are cheap enough, then that'd be fine.
Good luck.

You MIGHT be able to find something like an old G3 snowball or the first-gen eMac. Possibly. If you're lucky.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
You want a Mac? Why?

I keep looking for an old DOS/Win 3.1 machine to run my older games on. There's a few nice ones on E-bay... but I don't have $200 sitting around.

Gingy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
(@ Secret) You couldn't just install Leopard... You need to have all the comparable hardware, an ATI, or Nvidia GPU. (the right kind) and the right kind of Intel CPU (intel is usually more expensive...) Aaaaand, you would need to install hackintosh software... I was thinking of doing this myself, but it seems difficult...

I have a 2.5 year old iMac... It just crashed last week, and I lost all my data, and have a corrupted HDD... I will fix it after finals...
It's getting really slow, and filled up, and incompatible with most new software. I can't upgrade anything but the overpriced RAM... I am just buying an underpriced amazing windows PC this summer... I'm done with Mac, and I'm going back.

Role
  1. Private
Hmm hmm...Well I need an Intel-based Mac. Basically why I want one, is because I'm interested in making applications for iPhone, and you can only do with with an Intel-based Mac apparently. So I don't really need anything fancy, with internet

This isn't in the cards, Beavis.

The cheapest you'll be able to go would be an Intel MacMini, and they're somewhere around $600 or so.

MixyNyxi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
Yes, under 100 dollars I don't think you'll get anything, especially a mac. And if you could find a computer under 100 dollars, I'm not sure I'd trust it...
But if you did mean 1,000 dollars, Secret has the right idea. The lowest spec, plain white macbook brand new is just at 1,000 dollars. However, if you don't need a notebook, the mac mini is the cheapest computer they sell, at like 600 or something. Of course with that, you need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse too, so you have to factor that in.

Still, for portability (even though the mini is tiny) a notebook is always the way to go, so I'd recommend the macbook. For what you get, apple really does give you a good bit of product and specs for your dollar (despite what naysayers may tell you), the problem is that they don't offer a truly low end computer product, which is why everyone says they are expensive.

So if you just want a really basic computer that will get you on the internet, I'd go with a PC. You can get a much cheaper PC, even though I'm a fan of OSX, it's true. For a very basic system, a PC will always be cheaper. I'd wait till windows 7 comes out though, since it will hopefully be better than Vista, unless you buy one used with XP. I used XP for years and never had a problem. And yes, it is possible to install OSX on a PC, although it's against the TOS, I think and I wouldn't expect any technical help from apple if you have issues. But if you don't care, go for it :p

My two cents.

Edit: Hmm...intel based mac I don't think you'll get for that cheap, if that's what you are looking for...mac mini is your cheapest option. But good luck.

LunaCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Wait, the $100 wasn't a typo? hahaha...

Haven't you heard the most common complaint about macs? The price? You won't get a $100 intel mac. At least not through legal means. I mean, that's netbook prices right there...

One of the nice things about them (or bad things in your position) is they retain their resale value very well. I typically sell mine for just over 50% what I paid for it two years prior. I use that to buy the next one.

Anyway, you can check out ebay and places like macmall, but that's the best you can hope for. And nothing will be $100 or less. Good luck :)

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
I spotted a cheap desktop for $250 at Best Buy the other day (open box item, no monitor). That's the cheapest machine I've seen in a long time.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm cheap, and I'm not interested in paying anything close to that much for what I'm planning on doing with the computer.

cheap and Apple (referring to the computer company) legally can't be used in the same sentence.... oh shit. <_>

babibear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private

Pojo, you're not likely to find a portable Intel Mac for that, MAYBE $500, they hold their value way too well (PPCs though are 'prolly due for a rapid fall now but that's not what you're looking for). Now if you're willing to go with a Mac Mini you'd probably find an older one close to the $100 range. They are a little bit interesting to get inside, but it can be done. Since the Intel Mini's in your price range have Intel graphics, don't expect anything high frame rate as it'll be the same as any Intel Graphics machine. Memory and hard drives are common and not unique so it's as cheap as any machine in that sense to upgrade.

Last edited:

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
Your best bet is actually to go the Hackintosh route; the Dell Mini 9 regularly dips below $199 which while not $100 is still pretty darn close - and that gets you the versatility of a laptop also.

Then you can get a little gruntier if you'd like to build yourself and not wait for a Dell deal; specs such as

Intel D945GCLF2, $83.99
Integrated Dual Core Atom 330, -
Intergrated GMA950, -
DVD burner, $22
2GB RAM, $18
320 GB SATA-II drive, $60
Mini-ITX case w/250 watt power supply, $50

So for ~$230 you could do that build and it'll run OSX Leopard just perfectly.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
:bunny: POJO - good luck! $100 is a true lowball for a desk top iMac G4. Fortunately for me, I've known my Mac Tech (Best I've seen in Oregon) for over 17 years (went to his wedding etc. - a good friend). So when my used Dell took a dump, I tried to get my G3 up and running. It was too old - had lots of difficulty getting on the internet. Took it to my Mac Tech. He sold me a used G4 with loads of programs and memory for $100. Hard Drive crashed 2 times over a 6 month period $20 for first fix, $40 (his cost) for the new hard drive installed this week. Now it works like a charm. Best of luck in your search. He sells Refurbished PowerMac G4 Tower Macs with 120GB hard disk for $240 with shipping to East Coast probably $300. Let me know if you want his Phone # and address. :bunny:

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The lowest you'll be able to get away with as far as Intel Macs go is $600

$100? Try a PowerPC 604 machine. (Power Macintosh 9500)

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
You shoulda posted this back when i still had all them damn G3 PowerMac towers about a year ago

G3/333
G3/350
G3/433
G4/500
G4/1033

and a bunch of old tray loader Rev. D (one was a Rev. B with that mozzolla slot) iMac G3s, and one of the slot loader Rev. E iMacs with a G4/533 upgrade card.

But, doesnt matter now, they're all gone :B

imo, just ask me about laptops in say... 3 or 4 months, chances are by then i'll have a bunch of Dell CPx H500GT laptops, I get a shit ton of em all the time (Old gym teacher's brother owns a recycling company, he brings me salvageable laptops all the time during summer months)

Status
Not open for further replies.